SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Hot water treatment complete & surprise

Well...I've just removed 2 of the bulbs from 113 degree water. They use 110 in Isreal and 115 in the other 3 countries (I think UK, Holland, and South Africa) so a constant 113 seemed safe. Bulbs are drying and will be planted since our fall/winters are mild. The bulbs will go dormant and spend the winter in a protected enclosed scree porch. Fingers will be crossed until I see growth.

The surprise is that when I removed 2 other bulbs from the panty hose where they were stored for the past week, they were already sending out new growth. I was going to soak them in insecticide, but they seemed to be OK other than the previously rotten nose, but the new growth is a good sign so I just potted them up in fresh soil, added the systemic insecticide granules to the soil and will keep another set of fingers crossed that they are really ok.

The only pest that I saw was 1 larva that looked to be pupated, but it was still white, and not brown like the photos posted in the BUG thread, so I am really hopeful that maybe I overreacted, but the hot water treatment has been shown to result in increased bulblit production, so I hope I killed anything residing in the bulb, should have blooms next March, and will have ooodles of baby bulbs from the chipping episods.

Thanks for all the great support and advice that you all have given me.

Have a great rest of the week, while the Houston gang prepares for the edge of Ike (hurricane)...hopefully that's all we get (3-6 inches of rain and 45-75 mph winds).

Thanks again!!

Kristi

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions