SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stonehouse24

electric hot water heater

stonehouse24
14 years ago

I have an 82 gallon AO Smith electric hw heater. It has 4500 watt/240 volt elements on both the top and bottom. I noticed last week that we were running out of hot water quicker than usual. I suspected that one of the elements had stopped working. I pulled the inspection plates off both the elements and had a frightening surprise with the bottom element. The insulation on one of the lead wires from the thermostat to the element was completely burned off and the copper wire had melted where it attached to the element terminal. This was only on one side of the element..the other lead wire was fine. The plastic insulator around the element was completely melted on one side and the plastic safety shield that covers the element electrical terminals was melted. I obviously had an electrical short/fire, but my circuit breaker never tripped. I figured there were only two things that could have malfunctioned....either the element or the thermostat. However, there were no signs of melting or overheating of the plastic thermostat, and when I pulled the old element out, it was quite clean...very little calcium build-up. I have replaced both the element and the tstat and the heater is working. My concern is..... what took place to melt the insulation and plastic off of just one side of the element....and why didn't the circuit breaker trip? What could have malfunctioned that would cause things to get so hot that all the plastic and insulation melted along with the copper connection? I'm concerned that it could happen again...any explanations would be appreciated.

Comments (6)