Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 9 - 20 - 17

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Elizabeth Kenny Quotes
Australian - Celebrity September 20, 1880 - November 30, 1952

It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep all your life.
Elizabeth Kenny

He who angers you conquers you.
Elizabeth Kenny

The American doctor, in my opinion, possesses a combination of conservatism and that other quality which has put the United States in the forefront in almost every department of science - that is, an eagerness to know what it is really all about in order that he may not be the one left behind if there is something to it.
Elizabeth Kenny

At first, I was called a quack, a charlatan, and worse, year after year, in Australia, England and the United States, by men who simply refused to believe that a nurse from 'the bush' could devise a treatment which succeeded where they had failed.
Elizabeth Kenny

'O sleep, O gentle sleep,' I thought gratefully, 'Nature's soft nurse!'
Elizabeth Kenny

In the history of medicine, it is not always the great scientist or the learned doctor who goes forward to discover new fields, new avenues, new ideas.
Elizabeth Kenny

I do not want medical men to discuss whether or not my work is valuable, because I know what it will do. I want them to tell me how best this new knowledge of rapidly restoring paralysed people to health and strength can be applied where it is needed.
Elizabeth Kenny

Some minds remain open long enough for the truth not only to enter but to pass on through by way of a ready exit without pausing anywhere along the route.
Elizabeth Kenny

Panic plays no part in the training of a nurse.
Elizabeth Kenny

I came to America to teach my method - not to enter a research experiment.
Elizabeth Kenny

I have a message to give to the world, and I shall not be thwarted.
Elizabeth Kenny

I spent more time on dark ships in danger zones than any other woman in the world.
Elizabeth Kenny

Red Auerbach Quotes
American - Coach September 20, 1917 - October 28, 2006

The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology.
Red Auerbach

An acre of performance is worth a whole world of promise.
Red Auerbach

He who believes in nobody knows that he himself is not to be trusted.
Red Auerbach

The best way to forget ones self is to look at the world with attention and love.
Red Auerbach

To a father, when a child dies, the future dies; to a child when a parent dies, the past dies.
Red Auerbach

Basketball is like war in that offensive weapons are developed first, and it always takes a while for the defense to catch up.
Red Auerbach

Natural abilities are like natural plants; they need pruning by study.
Red Auerbach

Just do what you do best.
Red Auerbach

George R. R. Martin Quotes
American - Author Born: September 20, 1948

I prefer to work with grey characters rather than black and white.
George R. R. Martin

Nobody is a villain in their own story. We're all the heroes of our own stories.
George R. R. Martin

It's really irritating when you open a book, and 10 pages into it you know that the hero you met on page one or two is gonna come through unscathed, because he's the hero. This is completely unreal, and I don't like it.
George R. R. Martin

I've said in many interviews that I like my fiction to be unpredictable. I like there to be considerable suspense.
George R. R. Martin

There was part of me that wanted to see the world and travel to distant places, but I could only do it in my imagination, so I read ferociously and imagined things.
George R. R. Martin

The odd thing about being a writer is you do tend to lose yourself in your books. Sometimes it seems like real life is flickering by and you're hardly a part of it. You remember the events in your books better than you remember the events that actually took place when you were writing them.
George R. R. Martin

I like grey characters; fantasy for too long has been focused on very stereotypical heroes and villains.
George R. R. Martin

I have an instinctual distrust of conventional happy endings.
George R. R. Martin

An awful lot of fantasy, and even some great fantasy, falls into the mistake of assuming that a good man will be a good king, that all that is necessary is to be a decent human being and when you're king everything will go swimmingly.
George R. R. Martin

There are some examples of medieval kings who were terrible human beings but were nevertheless good kings.
George R. R. Martin

One of the big breakthroughs, I think for me, was reading Robert A. Heinlein's four rules of writing, one of which was, 'You must finish what you write.' I never had any problem with the first one, 'You must write' - I was writing since I was a kid. But I never finished what writing.
George R. R. Martin

Over the years, more than one reviewer has described my fantasy series, 'A Song of Ice and Fire', as historical fiction about history that never happened, flavoured with a dash of sorcery and spiced with dragons. I take that as a compliment.
George R. R. Martin

I'm one of those writers who say, 'I've enjoy having written.'
George R. R. Martin

The success that the Tolkien books had redefined modern fantasy.
George R. R. Martin

With a book I am the writer and I am also the director and I'm all of the actors and I'm the special effects guy and the lighting technician: I'm all of that. So if it's good or bad, it's all up to me.
George R. R. Martin

Nothing bores me more than books where you read two pages and you know exactly how it's going to come out. I want twists and turns that surprise me, characters that have a difficult time and that I don't know if they're going to live or die.
George R. R. Martin

Boy, there are days where I get up and say 'Where the hell did my talent go? Look at this crap that I'm producing here. This is terrible. Look, I wrote this yesterday. I hate this, I hate this.'
George R. R. Martin

I spent a whole summer working on what proved to be 'A Game of Thrones'.
George R. R. Martin

You can have the power to destroy, but it doesn't give you the power to reform, or improve, or build.
George R. R. Martin

I suppose I'm a lapsed Catholic. You would consider me an atheist or agnostic.
George R. R. Martin

I watch NFL football on Sundays. I enjoy gaming with friends, meaning role-playing games; I still enjoy going to conventions and traveling.
George R. R. Martin

'Rome' was one of my favourite shows, and I wish HBO had given it three more seasons 'cause I would have loved to continue watching it.
George R. R. Martin

One of the things I love, and I'm a voracious reader as well as a writer, is books that surprise me, that are not predictable.
George R. R. Martin

James Blaylock Quotes
American - Author Born: September 20, 1950

I read 'The Hobbit' when I was twenty and first reading modern science fiction and fantasy. I followed it up with 'The Lord of the Rings,' which I still reread from time to time, but of the lot of it, I prefer 'The Hobbit.'
James Blaylock

'The Brownies and the Goblins' is the only book I recall from my early childhood and is the inspiration for a children's book I wrote in the 1980s titled 'The Magic Spectacles.'
James Blaylock

Seeing that we were book enthusiasts, my mother began hauling my sister and me down to the Stanton Free Library on Tuesday afternoons, where I'd find two or three books to bring home.
James Blaylock

No author's writing more influenced my own than that of Robert Louis Stevenson. My first steampunk story, 'The Ape-box Affair,' is a sort of melange of Stevenson and P.G. Wodehouse.
James Blaylock

I wrote 'Zeuglodon' on a whim. I found myself writing the voice of an 11-year-old girl. I don't know why.
James Blaylock

Some of my favorite books to read are young adult books.
James Blaylock

You'd think it would be easier for writers to make a living, but it's not. Fortunately, I love to teach.
James Blaylock

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions