SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stillpitpat

Resuming "Terrible Kitchen" planning - chimney is going!

stillpitpat
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The kids are back in school and I am ready to get down to business with this kitchen redo.
I am starting a new thread as my dimensions were wrong in some of my previous plans, and there were multiple plans suggested. I am including an accurate layout of the space and the "no chimney" plan that benjesbride drew up. For some reason, Floorplanner is acting up and I am unable to put in door or windows, but they are labeled. We have 195" to work with, and everything but the fridge and a pull-down table will be along that wall (pull-down table will be on opposite wall). I like Benjesbride's plan and haven't been able to come up with anything I'd like to change. What do you all think? It's small, but it's what we've got. I love some of the fun storage things I've seen on here (like very narrow drawers for spices or lids), but it doesn't look like I will have room for them. I have some structural and design questions:

1) How about that corner business by the fridge? Keep as is with a lazy susan/super susan and those small open shelves? Or is there some other option?

2) Is an under-cabinet range hood sufficient? Is there any particular reason why some of them are very large and others small?

3) How wide of a sink would work here? I want a single bowl sink, probably a Corian integrated one.

4) How long do cabinet paint jobs really last? I wanted to do white uppers and birch-ish lowers, but I was reading that paint jobs only last 5 years or so. Is that accurate? That seems like such a short time. What does one do then? Repaint? Strip and repaint? Now I am wondering if I should just forget the paint and stain them all.

5) Counter will be white, and we are thinking blue for the floor. I like some of the solid marmoleums, but I also saw some pattens I like. Can I get away with something like the patterns below? I know it's a small space, so maybe a pattern like that would be too much. Or how about the blue striated marmoleum? Green will be an accent color, so that could work.

OK, that's plenty for now. Thanks if you've read this far!

Here is a link to the first thread: old thread

Comments (20)