SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stillpitpat

What have we done???? (demo...)

stillpitpat
5 years ago

Our remodel has finally begun. We went away for 2 weeks (Bay Area, Not-Yosemite, and Reno) and came home to a down-to-the-studs kitchen last night. In addition to the kitchen, we had our chimney removed, which necessitated completely emptying two closets (including the shelving), are moving the kitchen window, and are having our floyer floor redone. It feels like a lot

My two busiest threads are here: one and here: [two[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/resuming-terrible-kitchen-planning-chimney-is-going-dsvw-vd~4869963?n=20)

We are doing Chantilly White shaker uppers and pickled oak shaker lowers. I know pickled oak is not a favorite here (lol at the understatement), but it's what runs thru the rest of our 100yo house, including built-ins, and I like the idea of continuing it. Designer also gives it a big thumbs up. We are also doing Glacier White (or whatever it's called) Corian, SS Karran sink & appliances, light turquoise back-painted glass backsplash, turquoise Marmoleum flooring and a cool spot of Byzantine Bianco wall tile from Tilebar (alternating the flat with the 3d). Foyer flooring will be the Fine Line penny round pictured below. We were having a very hard time making a foyer floor decision, and when the designer brought this sample to us (completely different from what we were looking at), we fell in love. It's kind of expensive but the foyer is small so it's manageable.

I am not posting the plans because I already know who likes them and who doesn't, and at this point the negative feedback is pointless. We have a small space and want to keep the footprint the same (aside from removing the chimney), and we are happy with the compromises we made. If you look at the "before" pictures, you will see how bad it was (esp the peninsula from hell). Trust me when I say that the new kitchen will be so much better and more functional. Idk if everyone will love the colors and style, but that's OK. I am very excited about them. Can't wait for my funky floor!!

What I am not excited about is the process. We've got about 2 months to go. My kitchen is in my living room currently, and it is cramped (and dusty). We will have intermittent access to the dining room, so we will probably be eating in the basement a lot. My son's closet still can't be put back together as they haven't drywalled and painted the area the chimney ran through. He has a big closet (well, big for a non-walk-in) and I use it for household stuff as well as for his stuff. School starts in about 2 weeks, and both my kids have big transitions ahead (middle school and high school). Both have some special needs and do best with a predictable and mellow routine, and that's totally shot. The cat is also confined to the upstairs b/c of the dust, and he is a very people-oriented escape artist. Let's just say that he is not happy. Ugh. I know that it will be worth it in the end, but it's going to suck in the meantime.

Oh! We're also painting the dining room. The upper part will be SW Rice Paddy, and the lower BM Chantilly Lace. As much as I LOVE my Marimekko canvas print, I have never liked how it looks on the white wall. The Rice Paddy will set it off perfectly, and it will give the DR some fun too. Pic of that below as well.

Foyer floor

Dining Room

Wish us luck!!!!

Comment