SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stillpitpat

Terrible kitchen before and after: White, pickled oak, and turquoise!

stillpitpat
5 years ago

I have a ton of pix to share, even though my kitchen is small. I LOVE IT. I am so excited. I want to thank everyone who helped me, especially in the early days, including benjesbride (who I may have to email), mama goose, Fori (suggested the Marmoleum, I think), and Joe (great info on Corian and Karran sinks). I learned so much here on Houzz, and I would not have this kitchen were it not for this forum.

As you can see, the room is opened up and has a better (though not perfect) work pattern. In addition to the much improved lighting, there is way more natural light since the new door has such a big window, plus the the cabinets that were over the peninsula blocked a lot of light. It is kind a dreary day for pictures, but I cleaned for company this morning so I wanted to take the pix right away.

We stayed in the same space, although we had the chimney removed and the window raised and moved to the left. And you may remember that we were going to do Ikea, but the designer nudged me away from that and toward custom/semi-custom. I am very happy with my kitchen that looks pretty modern but still works in my 100yo Craftsman-ish house. I think going with pickled oak sealed that deal, since that's what's all over the house.

Also, we made some of our decisions based on our son's disabilities (motor delay and visuospatial delay, among others). We went with solid surface and linoleum so that dropped dishes would be less likely to break, and an induction range to eliminate fire risk. The saddle stool was chosen because he is less likely to fall off of it than a basic round stool, and his adaptive cooking tools have their own cabinet section. Even the new electric kettle was picked out with him in mind.

Products/finishes:

Foyer floor - I forget, but my designer got it from some fancy-sounding place in Chicago

Upper cabinets - local cabinet maker painted in BM Snowfall White

Lower cabinets - Sitelines Walton in Sandpiper

Counters - Corian Glacier Ice

Sink - Karran Edge 440

Faucet - Delta Essa Touch

Floor - Marmoleum MCT tiles in Laguna

Backsplash - custom backpainted glass in SW Liquid Blue

White tile - Tilebar Byzantine

Fridge - KitchenAid

Range - Frigidaire Gallery Induction (and let me tell you that the "Powerboost" setting doesn't mess around!)

DW - Maytag

Hood - Broan

Pendant - from Shades of Light

Things we still need to do:

*threshold between foyer and kitchen floor

*knee-push mechanism for undersink cabinet

*put up hooks in the coat closet

*paint the foyer PP's "Sailor's Coat"

*decide on and hang wall calendar/command center on blank wall

*decide how we feel about the white crown above the beverage station and coat closet

*window treatments, as it will get hot in the afternoon come summer (honeycomb shades?)

I am going to try to post the "before" pictures here and the "afters" in the comments.

Old foyer floor

From foyer doorway

Working part of old kitchen, stupid peninsula on left

from back door

back of old kitchen

back wall

Comments (23)