SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mshutterbug

Debating between single wall oven or range. Please weigh in!

mshutterbug
6 years ago

I have a super long thread with tons of helpful layout ideas, and I've sketched about a gazillion layouts. I'm down to what I think is my final decision - but I won't really say that until the cabinets are ordered. (Hubby would say, you can't even say that then... I've been known to change my mind even after the last minute lol As a result, I'm way overthinking everything.) I'm fairly sure I want to go with this design, with an island in the middle. I am removing a walk-in pantry in order to recess a full-depth fridge (the fridge is purchased and in use so that can't change). We will have a cabinet-style pantry next to it. This is approximately the layout:

And here's an ikea rendering (the fridge won't stick out like this, I just got tired of messing with the ikea software). And the door looks a little odd, but again, it's mostly just that I got tired of messing with the software.

So, I'm debating between putting a wall oven/mw next to the fridge or putting in a slide-in range.

I tried drawing them both and also put them into ikea to get a better visual.

Cooktop, wall oven/MW

Initially I really, really wanted a cooktop and a wall oven, because that's what I'm used to and I really like the setup. I loved my old cooktop so much better than an old range I had (but it wasn't a slide in, which seems much more similar to a cooktop at least in the way that you won't get crumbs stuck between the crack lol)

Pros: I get my cooktop and my wall oven. I can have similar setup to what I'm used to, with a vertical tray cabinet above the oven, drawers for pyrex type dishes below, and drawers below my cooktop for pots/pans.

Cons: The toasters will have to go on the end of that counter area to leave the landing space open for the oven. (I'm hoping/planning to hide the toasters behind a cabinet door). The oven and microwave are on the other side of island (obstacle) and outside the work triangle. More expensive cabinetry to build in the cooktop and the oven. Oven opens into a walkway. Not one that is used frequently, but a walkway nonetheless (and I have small kids).

OR

I could go with a slide-in range. I'd probably put a spacesaver microwave mounted under a shelf just to the right of the fridge with the toasters on the countertop hidden behind the same door. (husband doesn't love the idea of opening a door to open the microwave...open a door to open a door...he doesn't love it. But he doesn't really care, as long as I choose and then am happy with my choice ;)

Pros: All the main cooking thingies are within the triangle and not obstructed by the island. The oven is not in a pathway. I could make the cabinets on the fridge wall a bit shallower, providing another couple of inches pathway around the island.

Cons: I don't have my wall oven, which I really do prefer for ease of use and just the way they look. And no more cooktop, which I also prefer for the same reasons. (I also like no knobs on the front of cooktop, and most that I'm finding have knobs, unless you go induction, which I don't want to do.) Will have to rethink the storage, where to put vertical tray cabinet, where to put glass baking dishes and pots/pans.

Thoughts?

Comments (19)