Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Gardengrl's maple granola

9 years ago

I just love the stuff, and make it different each time, depending on what I have on hand. This batch had pecans instead of almonds and I added dried cranberries because I like them, and a handful of pumpkin spice pumpkin seeds just because I had some. I love anything with maple in it and this recipe makes a LOT, so it's a good thing I like it! If you want it less sweet, you could cut the maple syrup down and probably not really miss it.

So, I had some oats that I had gotten at Fresh Thyme, they have one of those machines that you pour the oats in and they come out rolled, just like the in-store coffee grinders. Bud thought that was so cool, and he had to see how it worked so, well, I bought oatmeal. I had pecans on hand that needed to be used and just a little coconut in the bottom of a bag, and part of a package of pumpkin spice pumpkin seeds from Trader Joe's, so those all went in...

I made two big sheet pans full, because that's how much stuff I had:

After it cooled I added dried cranberries instead of raisins because it's fall and I like them and I had some. I forgot the salt and I left out the wheat germ because I didn't have any. Yeah, I take liberties with granola...

Thanks, Kathy, wherever you are out there in the "web". I have used this recipe since you first posted it, and haven't found any I like better, and so the credit is all yours!

MAPLE
GRANOLA (from gardengrl)

7
cups thick oat flakes (rolled oats), uncooked
1 cup flaked
coconut
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup almonds, sliced or broken up
1
cup pecans or walnuts, chopped or broken up
1 cup sunflower seeds,
raw or toasted
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup
maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup raisins
additional
dried fruit/nuts as desired
In a very large bowl, combine the
oats, coconut, wheat germ, nuts, seeds and salt. Mix well. In a
separate bowl, whisk together the oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Pour
over dry mixture in bowl, stirring and tossing till everything is
very well combined (your bare hands are the best tools for this
step).

Spread
granola on a couple of large, ungreased baking sheets. Bake in a
preheated 250°F oven for 2 hours, tossing mixture every 15 minutes
or so. Remove pans from oven and cool completely. Transfer granola to
a large bowl, and mix in raisins and any additional dried fruit
desired -- dates, figs, currants, dried cranberries or blueberries,
etc. Store in a tightly closed container at room temperature.

Annie

Email CommentBookmarkLike

Comments (4)