SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
est209

Bathroom needs a facelift!!

6 years ago

Just bought the house and are looking to upgrade our Master Bath on a budget. Other than painting, any ideas that aren't crazy expensive?? My initial thoughts are maybe changing the mirrors and lighting fixtures. Also, please give me your painting ideas too!

Comments (39)

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Paint job for walls, sconce lighting, new framed mirrors, pretty and simple roman blind on window, paint cabinets, new hardware and faucets. Some framed prints on the blank wall above the tub.

I LOVE the below inspiration picture and think you should do do something like this. They've also installed a similar wood paneling on the front of the bath enclosure, which looks great.

est209 thanked Cara Lewis-Watts
  • Related Discussions

Please help with bathroom -- med cabinet, mirror

Q

Comments (5)
    I am going to need a medicine cabinet for storage because the vanity is an open vanity without any storage other than a visible bottom shelf. I'm not worried about too many mirrors -- if anything, it's a good thing because the room is small and has no windows, so mirrors will help with space and light. I'm just worried about placement. Any others, y'all?
    ...See More

Bathroom facelift help please!

Q

Comments (12)
    I like the plum brown -- the purple only comes through where the sun is hitting it and it's almost an undertone elsewhere. I agree with filling the grooves and changing hardware -- try wood filler, but go gently. That stuff can be hard to sand down, especially if you have clumps of ridges. Work to have it go ion smooth. Fill and scrape off any excess before it dries so that you only have lighter sanding. Like spray paint, you would rather go with a few lighter coats than going to heavy. The panel might come off is nailed or screwed in place, but if it has glue, alone or with nails, it could tear up the wood. Just depends o what it is and how much is there holding how tightly. I'd try filling first. Another possibility is to try the paint first The dark color will make the grooves less obvious. And then there is the take the challenge and make it a feature approach. Look at painted furniture for ideas and make that panel a becomes a feature -- with a stencil, wallpaper, fabric (might be risky in a bathroom, but you could seal it.-- if it gets messed up, paint over it). Sounds like you are considering hte plum now -- tell DH it isn't purple -- more brown with an attitude or some character. Sounds better than raisin, doesn't it?
    ...See More

Bathroom facelift

Q

Comments (2)
    Here are some of the material samples we've pulled...can't decide on the wood look or stone, and which color stone. Our new vanity is pictured, the top has grays and coppers
    ...See More

Need an easy facelift for a checkerboard tiled bathroom

Q

Comments (21)
    how high is the ceiling? first thing I'd do is get rid of those blinds! change then paint, and do some slight modifications. everything else is fine. for instance, you could do a walnut stained beadboard on the ceiling and add a cool light fixture. trim out the window w/black, get a nice roman blind you could also do a painted white paneled ceiling. any room for a vintage linen cabinet? shiplap would be appropriate in there. black ceiling, black trim around window and a nice fresh white blind. add some greenery black ceiling, white lights, bright green/yellow accents. Here's the blue color mentioned. add green towels, new lights, new window shade black walls, maybe add some white tile wainscot As you can see, there are tons of ways to work w/your bathroom.
    ...See More
  • 6 years ago

-new vanity lights

-faucets in case you don't like the current ones

-hardware in case you don't like the current one

-if enough storage-remove the medicine cabinet. obviously leave if useful

-art over the tub(the kind that won't get ruined, or the kind that won't leave you all heartbroken in case it does)

-roman shades or woven blinds or actually any window treatment that will make you happy over the window. maybe you like lace, then why not. this is a very -can-go-any-direction-space..choose your direction and feel free to follow it

-check your electrical code about chandelier over the tub. looks amazing, not always really permitted(even though people still do it of course) a, and should be listed for wet environments. Agree would look cool, aesthetically speaking

-leave the cabs as is..they won't interfere with your facelift. unless you hate them-nothing wrong with them. nice cabs. if you ask me.

-mirrors i'd leave as is..new lights will do enough difference

-and of course paint. what color? oh. so many possibilies. as long as it doesn't steer too cold(since your flooring etc is warmer)..I think there are many great options.

what color you'd like? what's your style? what's the neighboring space/your plans for it? do you love plain towels or patterned ones? will your vanity lights be ornate or simple? look at your space as a whole..that will give you a lot of clues about color

est209 thanked aprilneverends
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Heavens folks, she said "on a budget". So, with that in mind, leave the mirrors, but do get new lighting above. Spa colors, pale blue greens would work well with your cabinetry and your wood cabinets. I would consider changing the tile around the tub to go with your new paint choices. A couple of woven roman shades at the tub windows would be nice. New faucets if you can afford that would be a big plus. Then assess if new hardware on the cabinets would brighten things up a bit. Something with some glam might be nice. You don't have that many as far as I can see. You can take this a step at a time to enable staying in a tight budget. Start with assessing the tile around the splash/wall side of the tub. If you are going to change that, start there. Then paint, then faucets and lighting, then hardware. In most areas you can't hang a chandelier over tub/water, so that might not be an option, but that would bring a more spa look if you can. You could get a "conversion" kit for the can light and hang a nice little sparkly chandelier there or perhaps a shell type look depending on your preferences. Have fun. It is a nice large space, so should turn out great. Just getting that mustard yellow off the walls will be a big help. What were they thinking. Your skin would look tallow and pretty awful with that color wall. Good luck!

est209 thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Paint the walls a warm color similar to the one on your bathtub wall. Definitely change the light fixtures. Mirrors framed in a dark wood that matches the cabinets would look very nice as pictured here.

Kitchen & Bathroom Remodel Hawaii · More Info

est209 thanked Attaway Homes
  • 6 years ago

Piggybacking. I cannot (for some reason) start a thread of my own.

Floor recommendations? We are gutting two bathrooms and replacing floors in three more this winter. What do you think of wood-look linoleum? (Most of the house is antique hardwood floors.) I don't want porcelain or anything too fragile.

• 6 years ago

Build a frame around the mirrors that will up date them

est209 thanked suzyqtexas
  • 6 years ago

Flo, I agree with you, like almost word by word )) but you actually added upgrade(the tile if possible)..we didn't say anything you haven't said, really)) literally same things. very sensitive to budget and all..and it is overall a nice space, not much work needed.

ah, did say "art over the tub"..well that can be very cheap. like extremely cheap. Given it's tub and all-obviously no family heirloom in any case

est209 thanked aprilneverends
  • 6 years ago

A chandelier above the tub, new paint, some accent decor and wall decor can definitely change the look of this bathroom and doesn't require a huge budget.

est209 thanked Caitlin Diane Williams
  • 6 years ago

I suggest painting the walls to a light but more neutral color like the photo Cara posted. I think it would make it more relaxing and soothing, especially when utilizing the bath. The yellow walls seem to really unpleasantly pop against the bright light fixtures.

est209 thanked Justin Suen
  • 6 years ago

NO chandelier please! What would happen if you were in the tub and the light fell into the water?!! Sure, worst case scenario, but it could happen. I like painting the walls a calming ocean blue. Perhaps putting beadboard around the tub, painted blue. Replace the light bars with something more contemporary, chrome. Replace the cabinet hardware - World Market (kinda like Pier One) has beautiful artsy cabinet hardware and they are very inexpensive. I replaced my kitchen cabinet hardware with handpainted ones from there and they look amazing - 12 knobs and 5 pulls for about less than $100.

• PRO
    6 years ago
    @aprilneverends. I was typing and didn't see your post! Great minds and all that.
  • 6 years ago

Not sure that light is centered over the tub, so I would leave it the way it is.

I really love Sherwin Williams Sea Salt...it looks gray on their site, but it's a lovely maybe-blue-maybe-green-maybe-grayish color.

I agree about removing the medicine cabinets and drywalling that spot...You don't need the storage anyway with those cabinets.

There are literally a zillion vanity lights available...so that depends on your style, although I wouldn't do overly contemporary there (because of your faucets)

How lucky are you to have such a spacious bathroom!?!?

est209 thanked User
  • 6 years ago

I have the Sea Salt in our Dining Room already and love it!! its definitely more green though so I might go more on the side of blue gray for this room then a grey grey in the Master Bedroom.

• 6 years ago

est209 thanked starrydarkness
  • 6 years ago

Well definitely your bathroom looks amazing, it is quite minimilastic so the painting I suggest using black and whites.

• 6 years ago

Unless you are going to do something about the counter tops, stay away from blues. A creamy white would be best for the wall color.

• 6 years ago

1. Three paint hues: one for the walls, one for the bath niche and one for the ceiling.

2. Keep the woodwork, find colors that jive with it. Never paint wood.

3. Get modern, efficient light bulbs. Unless you plan on leaving them on for hours on end, I don't really think it's warranted to buy new fixtures, unless you find something cheap/chic vintage. I would rather invest in a ceiling fan personally.

4. If you can find affordable hardware, i.e. modern, vintage/whimsy, artful, deco etc, you could opt for that too.

• 6 years ago

A master bath is seen by so few. Of all the places to scrimp I think this is one. Your mirrors are the most functional but for an updated look down sizing them would be the direction to go. I don't see any room to just "frame them" and to add sconces you would have to start with smaller ones. Taking what you have to a glass shop and have them cut down would be "on a budget" vs new. I would remove the small "medicine cabinet", or recess it as it was made to be hung. I do not understand the NEED for it with all that cabinetry and mirror. I can't tell but your counters look white..so that and the flooring give you free reign on colors. The sky's the limit which is nice for you. A bright colorful window treatment would give you some POP. Updating the towel bars/faucets would not be a HUGE investment--if you can do them yourselves. Faucets are pretty straight forward. It is a fabulous amount of room. The present color isn't really showing it off IMHO. Paint alone will do WONDERS.

• 6 years ago

If you are going to condition a space, it's worth it to make very small changes so it is enjoyable for you to be in it. If you spend $5000 over the course of its life to heat/cool/clean, isn't it worth it to spend a few hundred dollars so it is not a banal place you dislike? Some people feel that baths are therapeutic and personal, even though there may not be tv watching or eating going on. I find them to be quite functional. Enjoy your space.

• 6 years ago

Lot of great advice! And fortunately for you, no need to change out revolting tile. One thing that really stood out to me besides already mentioned points: a great oversized bath-suitable rug tying in your new colors. There's lots of floor space there that looks pretty cold when left mostly bare. Have fun with your new home!

est209 thanked TC Hudson
  • 6 years ago

You could paint the cabinets for huge change if you cared for that look, add new lighting, paint the entire room a shade that compliments the floor (per color below perhaps). Add new hardware and your room will be transformed. The mirrors as they are have come back into style, so I would leave as is. Add lots of white - towels, accessories, etc. and maybe even a large rug.

• 6 years ago

I had two very large mirrors in bathrooms and I framed them and it's a whole new updated look. Nothing dates a bathroom like lighting. Some many choices out there.

• 6 years ago

I think that just changing the light fixtures over the vanities and painting the walls could make a huge difference. You could also frame out the mirrors if you wanted to. Depending on how much money and time you want to spend, you could consider painting the vanities and changing out hardware.

• 6 years ago

I'll agree that washable rugs, like two fun artistic ones for each side, and/or a big cozy circular one would be more comforting for your space, the latter for morning stretches, kids or pets.

est209 thanked User
  • 6 years ago

Easy fix. First the lights, gotta go! I'd get some gel paint and paint the cabinets. New paint on the walls. Start there first and then stop. Talking about oh, around $300-$500, depending on the lights you have, and have a handy husband.

Then later, if you want, new quartz, new sinks and maybe a new taller toilet (the flat ones on the sides for easier cleaning).

• 6 years ago

We have a similar situation in our 90's master bath. We are painting our cabinets white (they are builder-grade oak now and not as nice as yours) and will add hardware where there isn't any now. We are changing our green tile countertops to white quartz with a little sparkle and changing the sinks and faucets too. We are keeping our mirror and medicine cabinet but will change the light bars. We have debated taking out our huge built in jetted tub, but have decided it's too expensive, so we are leaving it and its tile surround (which goes to the ceiling). We will paint our walls a very soft gray/beige to blend with our beige tile floors. Good luck and post "after" pictures too :)

• 6 years ago

I would get rid of the top portion of the walls (on each side of the tub).

• 6 years ago
    I would decorate the space with plants so it doesn't look barren. Rugs or large bath mats would also help.
  • 6 years ago

"unless you find something cheap/chic vintage."-yep..that's what I usually do

a bit harder here since two vanities..but doable still

great ideas about plants (but then I don't remember one thread where I wouldn't think a plant is not a great idea, lol...also try to sneak them everywhere)..and wow, a rug can be cool

• 6 years ago

Don't be afraid of color, even if it is pastel in any hue, all over. Amicus in Kensington sells natural cork and wool carpets, in any shape and size, which can be shaped and bound.

• 6 years ago

I don't agree with the idea to paint the walls a warm color. I find warm colored walls look dirty quickly.

One simple way that could work is paint the cabinets navy blue, and everything else white. I found and have stuck with Ben Moore's "Chantilly Lace" white: it's bright without being too blue or too yellow.

Also, I find bathrooms, being minimally used throughout the day, can be a place to really have fun with color. Last place I lived I went with lime green, a place I rented before that had a very small bathroom painted bright coral color - it didn't look smaller because of it - maybe even the opposite because there were pops of bright white with it (trim/appliances).

Remove/replace lighting fixtures and the mirrors, replacing them with some framed ones - they have them pretty cheap at Lowes/Home Depot. I think if you just go with that you can have a nice change without breaking the bank. And if you want to do something more later you can, so make it cheaply livable, not expensively perfect.

As for curtains, I tend to just make flat panels and attach them via rings with clips to tension rods so I don't have to use any tools/fix anything if I mess it up. Go with a fun pattern on the curtains. I find with modern bathrooms I miss the visual interest of shower curtains. So window curtains could add something fun to the space. And if there are no neighbors to look in, just make half/cafe curtains so that light still comes in the upper half of the window while providing privacy and visual interest with the curtain on the bottom half...

Oh, and on that other wall that joins the window wall, put something decorative on that. Could be a framed painting, or a textile, or even a wrought iron decorative piece that could hold 1 or more plants or candles or something.

• 6 years ago

Lynn, warm colors look dirty quickly? I've not ever noticed that. Warm colors help me feel cozy.

But at any rate, that yellow seems too brash for the space, I'd go more pastel with a warm tone of your choice. I'd look for different over-mirror lights, and not so many attached on a run. Do not paint the vanities unless the wood is bad, which from here it does not seem to be. A rug would accent the place nicely, and I like the idea of plants, if you are willing to keep up after them.

The mirrors are fine, but if they'd fit better into the context of the Master suite framed, you can probably find inexpensive ones at a big box, even if somewhat smaller.

In a lot of places, chandeliers over tubs will violate code. There may be simpler aesthetic choices anyway for over the tub. Just be certain all wiring is up to standards. (Where I am, they wouldn't let me put ANY lighting directly over my tub..)

I do like Lynn's suggestions for window treatments.

Overall, this is a really nice space!

• PRO
    6 years ago
    make a frame for your mirror. here is a design i created for a client.
  • 6 years ago
    Change the cabinet fronts and hardware , replace builder mirrors with medicine cabinets flanked by sconces,
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Painting the walls, changing the light fixtures, new faucets, and getting new hardware would be the best start.

Contemporary Scottsdale Home · More Info

Modern Desert Contemporary: Bathroom · More Info

Modern Desert Contemporary: Bathroom · More Info

• 6 years ago

Wish you could open up the walls by the bathtub - but maybe it feels cozy as is.

• 6 years ago

I would find a soft, warm paint color for the walls, change the light fixtures, frame the mirrors with molding you can buy at Home Depot and cut to fit yourselves. Add faux wood blinds to the windows, a piece of artwork over the tub, pretty pump bottles for your hand soap, wall hooks for hand towels, and a small vase with orchids to add to each vanity to in a bit of something organic.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Khaleesi-3-Light-9-in-Satin-Chrome-Vanity-Light/50378298

• 6 years ago

You didn't mention the style that you wanted and not sure the function that you need in your master bath, but it seems quite cavernous...... I would reconfigure one side of the cabinets to be a make up vanity with pretty stool possibly. Of course paint the walls, and cabinetry more neutral color, change out the lighting, and add a good sized area rug with a style that you like.