SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akm301

HELP NEEDED with wood species for range hood, mudroom and pantry!

Alicia Daninger
6 years ago

I am finalizing plans with my cabinet maker for our custom home. We have a few areas that we need to select the wood species we want to use: 1) mudroom bench top, 2) pantry countertops, 3) wood accent on range hood.

A few things for context:

• Our mudroom is located off of our kitchen (behind it). It will have all shiplap walls, and a bench top that will be wood.
  • Within the mudroom area we have an opening to a pantry/pocket office. We will have lower cabinets and open shelving on top. Our counter tops in the pantry/pocket office will also be wood.
  • The door that goes into this pantry/pocket office from the mudroom is a barn door that my parents made for our wedding (see attached picture)-- it is knotty pine.
  • We are going with engineered white oak floors-- see attached pic (the mudroom and pantry/pocket office area will have a medium grey tile floor).

SO, we already have a little bit of wood going on in our design - the oak flooring and the pine barn door. We need to select the wood species for those 3 areas listed above.

My cabinet maker and builder are recommending white oak for all 3 areas, I think based on their 'hardness' -- which I agree is probably a good thing to have 'hard' wood for a mudroom bench top and the counter tops in our pantry/pocket office given how much 'use' they will get.

However, I'm wondering if we should go with something like Alder wood for our range hood accent, as I have fallen in love with the rustic vibe it has. Our range hood is a combination of shiplap + a wood design along the bottom edge, including corbels-- attached is the 'inspiration' image for the design.

I NEED HELP! Would it be too many wood species going on that are relatively close to each other if we had engineered white oak floors (kitchen area), Alder wood vent hood accent, white oak mudroom bench, white oak pantry counter top, and a pine door from mudroom into pantry?? Should I just go with white oak on the vent hood or would Alder be okay here-- both from a 'softness' perspective as well as design of using the various species in rooms near each other???? THANK YOU!!

Comments (3)