SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happy2learn

Will Poa Supina grass grow in zone 7a ?(Southern Maryland;shady area)

happy2learn
6 years ago

I have read that Poa Supina is the best grass for very shady areas, but I cannot seem to find out if zone 7a would be too hot for it in the summers. As expensive as it is, I don't want to waste money, if it shouldn't be used here. It would be in shade most of the day from surrounding trees; that is why I am looking into it--out of desperation! The area where I would like to use it is about 45' x 50' and surrounded by woods on east, west and north, and open to the rest of the lawn on the south side--however there is also a very, very a large sycamore tree on the south side, unfortunately!! This shady section of "lawn-wanna-be land" is very flat and does tend to stay moist. The soil is sandy or silty loam. My husband tested the ph and it seemed fine this year (we have added lime in the past.)

Over the course of many years, we've tried all the "shady mixes" sold at the big box stores, but not much has survived except moss and violets! This is in the far part of the yard, so I don't care too much about looks. I just would like something a bit more attractive than dirt and a bit more durable than moss!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment (1)

• User
    6 years ago

My understanding is that Poa Supina is an alpine grass. It will probably have a hard time with heat.

Fine fescues do ok in the shade.