SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Planting shrubs near tree roots (rotting) - potential problems?

We had to remove a large Japanese maple last fall, and now I'm looking to add some shrubs in the area. I just dug a hole about 5 feet from the stump for a Vanilla Strawberry hydrangea, and there is an enormous root (at least 8" in diameter) smack dab in the middle of it. I would just move the plant over a bit, but wouldn't you know there is an equally enormous boulder lodged in the hill on the other side!

Anyway, I hacked at the root a bit with an axe, but I didn't make much headway - the wood is HARD and it's tough to get the right angle due to the nearby boulder and the slope I have to stand on to do it. However, it looks as though I have created an adequate hole for the plant I have (a 3 gal size), if I just spread the root ball out in more of a long rectangle shape between the root and the boulder rather than in a circle. Will this be bad for the plant? Or are there any other concerns with planting so close to what will eventually be a rotting root system? Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Comments (6)