SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzique2016

Need advice on exterior window trim

suzique2016
6 years ago

Hi All,

We are in the midst of a whole-house renovation and addition of a 100 year old Tudor-ish house in the Upper Midwestern U.S. We are on a wooded, shady lot, and we are updating the stucco color, replacing all windows, and redoing the trim. This is where we need your advice!

The first two photos are our inspiration homes; the 2nd photos are our current house, in the midst of construction. There are no photos of the front entry for our house, because this is in under construction and not yet built.

Our house had a mix of double-hung and casement windows. We are replacing all with casement windows with dark bronze muntin bars, similar to the inspiration photos here. The windows are not yet installed, but they are purchased, so this decision is set. We are planning on a soft white stucco color like these inspiration houses (specific color not yet selected; recommendations welcome!)

Here are our specific questions:

1. I really like the look of the exterior window trim in the inspiration photos, with the dark/thick trim above the window and the light/thin sill below, and no trim on the sides. What is this look called? (I have noticed it on many historic buildings in our city, so I think it would suit our house well)

2. What colors would you recommend for the dark trim above the window?

3. Should we paid the trim under the roofline the same white as the house? Or the trim color?

4. What material for the window trim? Our contractor is suggesting Trex to avoid wood rot, woodpeckers, and ants (all of which have done major damage to the house so far). I like the idea but we're limited in colors and also I haven't seen Trex used as trim. Any examples?

5. Any other suggestions??

We are thinking of an arched door like in these photos, but we may go instead with fiberglass - not sure yet. Thank you!

Comments (7)