SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carp39

What else do you grow besides......

Bob
6 years ago

I do have a lot of inground fruittree's to many to mention but i do also take care of my wife flowers which is also time consuming especially in the coming months.

Comments (177)

• Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6
    6 years ago

Sunshine oh my goodness. I would not have thought that you are raising your citrus on the balcony :) Do you have a basement space?

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Nope, common underground parking lot under the building, like in any large North American city. The open balcony is my only choice for figs, mulberries and peach tree to keep them dormant.

• Related Discussions

Do you know what this is growing beside my carport?

Q

Comments (3)
    Yes it does bloom. Im not sure when though. I think the flowers are blue or purple.
    ...See More

Relish--What else besides hot dogs?

Q

Comments (22)
    Jim, Just wanted to say I love the zucchinihol idea. I'm sure there's a way! And that I second your post about remembering not to feel beholden to your garden. I came to gardening as a hobby late in life and kind of warily, frequently saying to my friends, "I might decide I don't like doing this after all and give it all up, you know!" Like a lot of people, especially, I think, a lot of women, I can be hit by a sense of duty even when it's irrational, so I've been very intentional about keeping guilt at bay when it comes to not using all a garden crop or not caring for it as well as I might, etc.; my mantra is "The garden is there to comfort ME, not the other way around." If I plant out tomatoes even on a too-hot day when I don't feel like it, I want it to be for the future gratification of picking them, not because I feel I "owe it to them." So, same idea with the abundant squash. Eat what you can, can what you can, give away what you can (but that's not always easy, as you say, in high season, and things like organizing donations in a community take work and time), but any time all of the above stop feeling like fun and start feeling like a pain in the $**))@!, then pitch it into the compost with a clean conscience. (It will reward you by growing a volunteer or two out of the compost pile next year that will do better than any cultured plant, and start the cycle again...) ;-) P.S. The only thing we use relish for is a bit of a zing in tuna or egg or potato salad. My husband won't eat pickle products in general, but he insists on a bit of relish in his tuna sandwich.
    ...See More

what else do you grow?

Q

Comments (114)
    I have a bunch of it outside I have to keep yanking and throwing away when it outgrows where it is planted. It grows just by laying it on the ground. At least it's easy to break loose by hand. I don't have any indoors but I imagine it would be a bit fragile when it would start to hang down over the sides of the pots. I would think the weight of the vines would soon break off any that got too long.
    ...See More

What plants do you grow besides hoyas?

Q

Comments (20)
    Alas, I must confess, I'm a beyond-redemption plantaholic. There's no one group or family of plants I exclusively focus on. What I mostly have are Aroids and Palms, over 60 species of each. Other groups I have are Cycads about 11 species. Dracaena, about 6 species with a number of different varieties of the same species. Orchids, about 15 species, terrestrial and epiphytic. Pandanus, about 5 plus some varieties. Carnivorous plants, about 10. Cyclanthaceae, 3. Frangipani, probably 2 species but a number of different colours. Hibiscus, about 5 although some of those are probably varieties of the same species. Ginger Family, about 10. I have lots of trees, including about 6 species of Ficus and several different fruit species. And plenty of other odds and ends, including Mussaenda, Mandevilla, Bromeliads, Bamboos, Ferns, Crotons, Heliconias, a few Waterlilies (Nymphaea and nymphoides), Lotus (Nelumbo), Hanguana, Thalia, etc., etc. And I'm still always on the look out for more interesting plants. I've long given up on any hope of rehabilitation and just run with my addiction.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Sunshine, some ppl do cover their figs for the winter but usually they wrap the whole tree up because the branches can still die from freezing. Some fig varieties do produce decent early breba crops which grow on previous seasons growth so if you want to save the growth from last season then you may want to cover the whole tree. There's some crazy fig overwintering examples that you can find on google images. Some ppl even bend their whole fig trees down to the ground and cover them from there!

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    6 years ago

Sunshine: When I had an apartment I used to overwinter plants on a porch. This is what I did and worked very well and never lost a plant. Build an insulated box/shelf that is insulated on all sides (including the bottom) except the one facing the house wall. Place the shelf against the wall as snugly as you can. The warmth of the house will help the plants. Put your plants inside that. Once in a while, when it is warm, open it to check for water requirement. I watered about once a month or so on above freezing days or as needed. I had a separate front panel that I can remove for this task. The bottom and top need to have thicker insulation. I used a mix of styrofoam and batt insulation to build this structure. On days when it is above 40F I would leave the box open unless it is very windy. Good luck.

• Denise Becker
    6 years ago

I have some blackberries, blue berries, figs, a vegetable garden that gave me fits this year due to rain and infestation of insects, plumerias, orchids, Christmas cactus, and next year I am going to try making a strawberry tower made from milk crates. I have a passion for roses, but here in the humid South, disease runs rapid so I gave up growing hybrid teas. I hate the heat and humidity so I don't spend as much time as I would like gardening.

• Lauren Stephens
    6 years ago

Denise, i also hate the humidity so i also dont get to spend a bunch of time in the garden and also get infestations. Stink bugs and slugs were horrendous this year. I usually only go to the garden early morning/late evening.

• Bob
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I forgot this little bush, probably the oldest one.

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Denise it sucks you can't keep roses healthy in your area. You prob have a lot of tropical options open to you from that humidity though! How about Oleander flowers? The double flowers have a similar rose look to them.

• Kelley_GA8a
    6 years ago

Kelly, those "sleepy" trees with the purple flowers (not sure what they're called) grow like weeds here in GA. They're everywhere in my backyard, but sell for $50-$100 at Home Depot (?)

• Kelley_GA8a
    6 years ago

My pride and joy is my 3-5 year old Arbequina Olive Tree. I purchased it last year and overwintered inside. Planted it in the ground this spring and it has shot up from 3+ feet to over 6 feet high. Praying it lasts the winter (it survived Irma last month) and hoping for olives next year!

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Beautiful olive tree Kelley. It's enormous! Update us on whether it pulls through this winter. It will be so amazing when it grows olives for you!

I realized when my plants have already been watered and cared for, I feel so restless and bored! So I bought a few house plants when I was checking out a couple of nurseries last weekend :) better to love these to death than my lemon

I'm new to indoor house plants so crossing my fingers they don't die this winter. But I just read last night that cyclamen and the variegated crotons are not for the uninitiated and faint of heart.. they make a stunning combo sitting next to each other though

Being well behaved and not looking to chew any of them

• Kelley_GA8a
    6 years ago

Thanks, Kvet!! I've read so many differing opinions on the hardiness of Arbequinas: some say don't go below freezing, others say zone 8 is perfectly fine. We're projected to have a warm winter, but if the temps dip into the extremes, I will coat it with Christmas lights.

• nulesm
    6 years ago

Kvetchlambkin very nice looking plants and your Kitty Cat is soooooo adorable.

Brian

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Kelley, can the olive trees be grown as olive "bushes"? It may help keep itself insulated enough to pull through the cold

Thank you Brian! She really is :) She has the face of a grumpy teddy bear sometimes!

• Bob
    Original Author
    6 years ago

May add a couple more of my random collection, don't what flower it is, a friend mowing sale 4 or 5 years ago. Red Jabo fruiting for the third time this year. Should grow a couple more of these.

• Bob
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I also do artificial flowers,change that used to. I like these as well, not easy to do when you do it the oldfashion way. Transom are 92" long made for french entry doors.

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Wow bob you're an artist! Did you put together that glass panel yourself? I love that the fruit is on the trunk of that tree. I've seen a similar one in our relative's yard in Taiwan while visiting and the fruit were delicious. Their fruit looked dark purple almost black and tasted like Concord grape juice! For the unknown flowers there is a forum called "Name that plant!" where people can help identify the plants in the photos you post on that forum. They're very helpful and good at it if you want to find out what flower it is

• Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6
    6 years ago

Bob, loove your window. I did some glass work a couple of years too and still have some projects I would like to do. Always something else in the way.

• Bob
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Suz, i only do leadcame, you know that old stuff, very little tiffany style, i was in the business of old restoration. My works is scattered all over the U.S. This dormer design is Tiffany style at my place. Hanging light is somewhat simular.

Kvetch, here is a picture of ripe Jabo's

6 years ago

Bob, I really like your glass creations, wonderful!

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Yes! That's exactly what it looked like Bob. Your tree is amazing! What do you do with the fruits? Fresh eating or jam? Love the rose glass windows. I bet a lemon themed one would look great with the sunlight shining through it!

• Bob
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I only have one tree, so i eat them fresh, no problem. occasionally i teach at a local art school. I am not into it anymore, thank goodness, too much work.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

Bob you are quite an artist!!! Wow, a musician and the beautiful glass! I love it!

• User
    6 years ago

Well after going to the local chapter of the California rare fruit growers plant sale I have now added a “freedom” variety of blackberry and a cherimoya.

My wife added the cherimoya as she doesn’t have to do the hand pollinating and they are about 8 bucks a pound. This is the first time she spend more than me at a plant sale. Hopefully we will have enough space in the front yard! :D

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

That's a steal with the cherimoya! I didn't know it's so expensive to eat but then again, I've never bought or tried them before. What does it taste like to you?

As for growing other things besides citrus, I've peeked down the rabbit hole of orchids and find myself falling in. I bought myself a few mini Phalaenopsis last week and after doing more research on orchids.. I want so many more orchids than I expected to want. There's so many varieties and shapes and colors that making an orchid collection will end up filling a whole house full of them! I'm trying to hold back and wait to buy other ones besides the common Phalaenopsis I keep seeing in grocery stores but it is so hard to when I see a new color pattern or shape. Here are the ones I've gotten so far

I didn't want another pink type orchid but on my hunt I found that the bottom right phal had a fragrance. I've been sticking my nose and sniffing all orchids like a weirdo in the stores and finally found one that smelled like something! It smells like soap. It's too bad I'm not a fan of soapy smells but I'm pretty happy with the find when common phal's are rarely fragrant.

Saw this beauty in IKEA and had to give it a home.. my home! In the direct yellow light the edges and lip look hot pink but under bluer light it looks purple and the yellow becomes more pastel. This is a large size while the other 4 are mini so far. I'm planning to visit the stores a couple times a week to see what new colors or patterns they restock!

• User
    6 years ago

Kvetch: those are some nice orchids! I have killed the last couple orchids we had here in the house. The last one is about a year old and I am hoping it will pull through.

As to the flavor of cherimoya I haven’t tasted it myself because of the price. My wife has and she loves them but doesn’t want to pay the high price at the store and they don’t store well. My wife says it tastes like a smoothie and has a lot of different flavors in it. She gets a lot of strawberry and banana flavors in the ones she has tasted.

wikipedia says the following on them “The ripened flesh is creamy white. When ripe, the skin is green and gives slightly to pressure. Some characterize the fruit flavor as a blend of banana, pineapple, papaya, peach, and strawberry.”

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Thanks BaconEater! It seems that the secret to orchids is repotting them to your exact conditions and watering style. Once that's down pat it's supposed to be a breeze with some of the easier ones. I really want to try making some orchids into hanging moss ball plants and have a small collection of those hanging around the windows

Cherimoyas sound like the perfect dessert for the hot summer months. Have it chilled in the fridge and scoop out a premade smoothie out of the fruit! I really want to get my hands on a cherimoya fruit now. How large is the cherimoya tree that you two purchased? You must update us on the progress of your tree. It will be amazing to see it produce fruit for you two and see how you like the fruit!

• User
    6 years ago

I agree they do sound like a nice dessert! The tree we purchased is a “seedling” and is about 3ft tall. They are supposed to grow reasonably fast but like all my citrus and my other tropicals i don’t expect much in the near future. I’ll try and grab a photo of it tomorrow morning. If I see fruit at the farmers market I’ll have to try it at some point.

My wife was reading about them and apparently they don’t get shipped out of California that often because they sell well here and they are tough to ship. I hope you can find one at some point!

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Ohh that is probably why I haven't really seen a cherimoya around these parts. Thanks for the tip! I planned to look around a farmers market tomorrow so I'll remember to keep an eye out for cherimoyas while I'm there :) I'm sure you'll be able to get some good fruit from both your citrus and cherimoya in the future!

• User
    6 years ago

Kvetch: here is a photo of the tree. Don’t mind Ollie the orange or the other plants photobombing. He is always showing off his oranges. :D

• Bob
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have a Atemoya growing for 3 years now and it resides in my shop for the next 5 months,bummer.

• Bob
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Weird early Christmas decoration in the Ozarks!

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Haha I can see why it likes showing off its fruit BaconEater! I love the large leaves of the cherimoya. It'll be a real beauty once it gets to Ollie's size.

Bob your glass work is really so amazing! The colors are so beautiful the birds almost come to life. You also have a lovely persimmon tree! Nothing beats seeing a persimmon tree covered in persimmons in the fall.

• User
    6 years ago

Bob: Has the antemoya fruited Or flowered for you? Is it a bit more cold tolerant than other tropicals?

Kvetch: the leaves are kinda unique like the fruit. My wife and I will have to keep scanning the farmers markets here for some cherimoya fruit to try.

• Bob
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bacone, yes it has flowered and fruited twice this year, only two that matured in august and a new one still on now. It is a Minh variety. According to Adam is a better one to grow here. As a matter of facts it flowered constant till about August. You can grow them in the ground where you at with a ton of different varieties, check with Frank where you are located he has the best ones.

• User
    6 years ago

Bob: I’ll probably have to look at grafting as I am officially out of space. :D I see a few videos online about grafting antemoya onto a cherimoya so that will probably be my best bet. Now to join the California rare fruit growers in January for varieties to graft.

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    6 years ago

I tried growing cherimoya but managed to kill it. Got the seeds when travelling in Hawaii. In India it is quite popular and abundant. My favourite used to be cherimoya milk shakes or in cereals. Awesome fruit. Hard to find here in Pittsburgh. Here in US I miss the sheer variety of tropical fruits and vegetables. We even had banana with seeds - very tasty but hard to eat.

Besides some citrus here I have a mango - never fruits, grown from seed and we use the leaves in soups for flavour and to make tea. Same with a banana - no fruits but we mainly use it for the leaves for steaming fish. Pomegranate (angel red) - did not fruit this year. Olive - it is a small bonsai like plant and produces a whopping 4-olive harvest every year. Curry leaf plant - obviously for curries. Several types of figs too. Black pepper that produces about a handful every year.

Amongst non-edibles I have many ornamentals and flowering plants mostly representing what I grew up with in India.

• Bob
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You could still contact Frank at the Tropical fruit growers forum, get sionwood from him. If you contact him you can stop at his place. I would deal with him before anybody else. I got budwood from him this last spring and bark grafted a couple new variety's, works good, cleft works probably good also, so is veneer graft.

These Moya's need heavy pruning, new shoots can be 8' long, they flower on new ones anyway. So you can add a couple more tree's, go for it. What you see there is all new growth.

• User
    6 years ago

Bob: will certainly keep him in mind! It’s going to be a bit before I try grafting. We need to rearrange things in the front yard and do a fair amount of work with digging and drip lines. I plan to have this tree planted by early spring at the latest.

• Bob
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I might not have a lot of citrus but this will make-up for it. Uh got a stomach...pain. Got twice as much still on the tree's.

6 years ago

Bob, those look yummy! Is it possible to have a low branching parsimons. I have seen parsimon trees which were loaded whith fruit, but very tall trees.

• John 9a
    6 years ago

I enjoy growing ginger in a raised planter along with the tangerine tree I built the raised bed for. The soil is sandy and with lots of organic material from a variety of sources. Mint, aloe, basil, and ginger all do great here under the tangerine

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

That's a great way of using that space! I've been wanting to do that with root type vegetables but my tree isn't large enough to have enough space under its canopy. How far do you plant them under your tangerines?

• John 9a
    6 years ago

Well, I like the variety but some could correctly point out I'm adding plants that may compete with my tangerine tree for space and nutrients. I think you have to consider what space your citrus needs and how much you may disturb its roots harvesting something else you may plant there. Ginger probably isn't a great choice since I will ultimately dig or pull up the ginger roots. I plant it on the north side of the tangerine so the ginger has plenty of shade....but it is very close to the tangerine's drip line. It's another very fun crop though so I think it's worth missing out on a few tangerines for the added ginger crop. The peppermint actually helps keep other weeds from germinating and growing in the planter...just by shading them out. It competes for nutrients too but I also love peppermint so no harm done!

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Once I get a large enough collection of citrus trees, I probably wouldn't mind letting a plant compete with nutrients. I'd have too much fruit to know what to do with! I like the idea of planting fragrant herbs underneath the tree :)

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    6 years ago

In ground I have a granny smith apple, plum, peach and nectarine tree. All the rest are in containers

7 blueberry varieties

5 raspberry varieties

6 strawberry varieties

2 dwarf mulberry varieties

7 different avocado trees

2 different varieties of white dwarf peaches

8 different herbs

several rose varieties

100 plus different varieties of cactus and succulents

And to many perennials to mention around the pond and in containers. I also grow anywhere between 50-75 varieties of hot peppers.

• Alanna Migliacci
    6 years ago

I was just catching up on this thread last night and I am so impressed by everyone. I wish I had the know how to grow such variety. I’ve only had pants for about a year and a half and one summer garden. It’s bevame a passion of mine, but I lack the experience. I really need a mentors because the internet is overwhelming with info and not all of it is helpful.

Jinnylea- your garden is my dream come true. Please share your secrets. I’ve struggled so much with growing anything from seed.

• calamondindave
    6 years ago

I've really enjoyed looking at every bit of this thread and seeing all the plants/gardens everyone has. There are some good gardeners here!

I grow mostly edibles, fruits, veggies and herbs. The usual ones, and some unusual ones. We try to have at least one thing on the dinner plate that we grew. I like to try exotic edibles just to see what they taste like and if they would do well here. For example, have some cocona, goji and moringa starts under grow lights at the moment.

• Bob
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My Japanese maples are finely changing colours so are my persimmons.