What plants do you grow besides hoyas?

tlbean2004
8 years ago

I grow pothos, ficus, and calatheas.

What else do you like?

Comments (20)

• Adam Harbeck
    8 years ago

I grow orchids, bromeliads, anthurium, heritage roses, frangipanni, palms, Australian natives, gingers and Heliconia, herbs....

• Related Discussions

Do you know what this is growing beside my carport?

Q

Comments (3)
    Yes it does bloom. Im not sure when though. I think the flowers are blue or purple.
    ...See More

Why do some hoya lovers get rid of plants to "make room for new hoyas"

Q

Comments (30)
    OK I'm back with more questions. I've been reading a lot today. One website says grey spite are botrytis blight. I hope I spelled that correctly. Lol.is that what this is? This is the same plant in the other photos when i ask if it was a disease.can it be saved?.i have lots of house plant but never heard of this diease.
    ...See More

If you grow hoyas in a greenhouse how do you prevent humidity spots?

Q

Comments (3)
    I have never heard of humidity spots. Sun spots, mechanical damage, spots of unknown origin, yes. Humidity spots? Maybe due to damp conditions, where there is always water dripping down, causing a bit of fungus on the leaves? I have no clue. I don't greenhouse mine, but the humidity in my plant room (when they are inside) hovers between 50-75%. No water dripping, even when I mist. There is enough humidity for windows to condense a bit, but I don't know what humidity spots are.
    ...See More

What else do you grow besides......

Q

Comments (177)
    Well, I like the variety but some could correctly point out I'm adding plants that may compete with my tangerine tree for space and nutrients. I think you have to consider what space your citrus needs and how much you may disturb its roots harvesting something else you may plant there. Ginger probably isn't a great choice since I will ultimately dig or pull up the ginger roots. I plant it on the north side of the tangerine so the ginger has plenty of shade....but it is very close to the tangerine's drip line. It's another very fun crop though so I think it's worth missing out on a few tangerines for the added ginger crop. The peppermint actually helps keep other weeds from germinating and growing in the planter...just by shading them out. It competes for nutrients too but I also love peppermint so no harm done!
    ...See More
  • Denise
    8 years ago

Several succulents - some smaller Aloes, Haworthias, Gasterias, Crown of Thorn type Euphorbias, a few Adeniums, Ceropegias, Dischidias, some jungle cacti such as Rhipsalis, Epiphyllums...

Denise in Omaha

• aurorawa
    8 years ago

Adenium, epiphyllums, pitaya, plumeria, orchids (terrestrial and epiphytes), carnivorous plants, stapeliads, and a few cacti are my houseplants. Outside, passiflora, roses, lilies, osmanthus fragrans, gladiolus, bee balm, honeysuckles, hostas, summersweet, abelia, rhododendron, clematis, and quite a few others, including my veggie gardens.

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Speaking of.......

Here are some new plants that i got recently!

Im so excited about them.

Here is my new Polynesian Ivy...

My new Tradescantia's. These were so cute i got 3 of them.

And last but not least ,how could i not mention my new hindu ropes!

(like i really needed these) I have never seen EA sell hoyas in small 4 inch pots so i picked up 3 of these guys. :)

Oh, and i got this HUGE Polyneura to make up for the one that the birds messed up this past spring. ;)

• User
    8 years ago

You are so out of control right now, bean. :D

• Adam Harbeck
    8 years ago

That tradescantia makes a great ground cover.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    8 years ago

Adenium, few epiphyllums, plumerias, orchids, stapeliads, cannas, amaryllis and lobster claw heliconia.

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Citrus trees well over 30, gardenias, jasmines, desert roses, jades, pal trees, succulents,ZZ plants, peace lillies, carnivorous plants, fig trees, well over 20, angel trumpets, brugmansia, Michelia Alba, banana trees well over 16, Hoya's, Hoya's, dozens of them, spider plants, all kind of Pothos and philodenrons, over 150 orchids,cactus and many many other different varieties...) 90% of my plants are fragrant!

• Liberated
    8 years ago

Adenium, Oriental lilies, Caladiums, Dahlias, Black magic Esculenta & Blue Hawaii elephant ears, Midnight Marvel Hibiscus, Alliums(1st time fingers crossed), Eucalyptus tree, Wisteria, succulents, Hyacinth, and lots and lots of Tulips.

• tropicbreezent
    8 years ago

Alas, I must confess, I'm a beyond-redemption plantaholic. There's no one group or family of plants I exclusively focus on. What I mostly have are Aroids and Palms, over 60 species of each. Other groups I have are Cycads about 11 species. Dracaena, about 6 species with a number of different varieties of the same species. Orchids, about 15 species, terrestrial and epiphytic. Pandanus, about 5 plus some varieties. Carnivorous plants, about 10. Cyclanthaceae, 3. Frangipani, probably 2 species but a number of different colours. Hibiscus, about 5 although some of those are probably varieties of the same species. Ginger Family, about 10. I have lots of trees, including about 6 species of Ficus and several different fruit species. And plenty of other odds and ends, including Mussaenda, Mandevilla, Bromeliads, Bamboos, Ferns, Crotons, Heliconias, a few Waterlilies (Nymphaea and nymphoides), Lotus (Nelumbo), Hanguana, Thalia, etc., etc.

And I'm still always on the look out for more interesting plants. I've long given up on any hope of rehabilitation and just run with my addiction.

• laura1
    8 years ago

succulents with a tendency towards sansevieria, agave and euphorbias; fruit trees including carambola, white sapote, figs, barbados cherry, bananas, pineapples, peach; butterfly plants; bromeliads.

• NextObsession?
    8 years ago

Outside: California natives, several dwarf fruit trees (citrus, fig, papaya, banana, nectarine, plum, quince, apricot, pear, white sapote, guava, avocado, mango), berries, pineapples (White Jade & others), herbs, vegetable garden, Plumeria, prickly pear, aloe vera, gasteria, crinums, alstroemeria, spuria iris, a couple roses. Inside: Sansevierias (love them) several spathiphyllum, & other air-cleaning houseplants.

• moonwolf_gw
    8 years ago

I have a Thanksgiving Cactus, an Epiphyllum oxypetalum (that still hasn't bloomed yet for me), a Heartleaf Philodendron, a dwarf Schefflera/Umbrella Tree (would like to find the true size one), something called a Seaweed Cactus (a jungle cactus that looks sort of like a Rickrack cactus-it also has never bloomed), and two African Violets. Still hunting that elusive String Of Hearts!

Outdoors, we have many different flowers including Roses, Honeysuckle (the native trumpet and a variety called Serotina Florida), a dwarf Elberta peach tree (that produces some very delicious, juicy peaches), a Rose of Sharon tree, veggies in the summer, a weeping cherry tree that isn't weeping-dad pruned it once and it must have reverted), a dwarf Burning Bush, a beautiful Sweet Autumn Clematis that flowered heavily this past late summer/fall, Common Milkweed for the Monarch butterflies, and lots more.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• jeci1974
    8 years ago

I collect hoyas/succulents/i have variegated string of hearts,also a few different philodendrons/pothos.a few different arrowhead plants a mini&big orchid,healthy bud no blooms.several small thanksgiving cactus,one african violet i grew from a leaf,it is now blooming a deep purple bloom.2different devil's backbones.aflowering maple-i grew from seed in april2015,string of pearls,a zebra plant,bromeliadjust3 queens tears too,oxalis ,a varigated dwarf sheflera i rescued last month,jades,oyster plants,several different kal;anchoes,and my rare new baby-a cristen -aurea variegata(rare variegated thanksgiving cactus)was my christmas gift,and odds and ends,still looking for several hoya cuttings and plants,and going to town this weekend to look for clearence and hoyas,never find any hoyas,but still watch for them,and all kinds of plants-i stay clear of pokey plants ,those thorns are mean

• Kim
    8 years ago

Let's see.... I grow a few succulents-jade, aloe vera, and a kalanchoe. I've also just been suckered into taking home yet another spider plant baby so now have 3 of those, along with a philodendron, a couple African violets (starting to get into those, now that I know how to not kill them with a glance), a nematanthus (gold fish plant), angel wing begonia, tradescantia, ZZ plant, a tiny sanseveria, and the rest are all Hoyas. Oh, I have what I think is a Haemanthus, a burgundy rubber tree, and an arrowleaf.

On my list of stuff I want to add, some more AV's, Monstera deliciosa, christmas cactus, and I've been debating getting into carnivorous plants for grins and giggles. At the end of the day though, it's mostly all about the Hoyas for me. I am at something like 70-80 plants right now. I think...

• moonwolf_gw
    8 years ago

Good grief, Kim, that's quite a collection! I forgot to add, I have a Begonia as well, but it's not an angel wing. The friend who gave it to me said it never flowers or isn't a flowering type. Gorgeous leaves, though!

I used to grow CP's before Hoyas came into my life. I do miss growing them, and I hope to grow a Nepenthes someday (spathulata-I saw one on YouTube that had a mouse fall into one of the pitchers. The person said they didn't notice any smell while the plant was digesting it. I used to have-not all at once: a Sarracenia flava, a Sarracenia purperea, a few Venus Fly Traps, a few Sundews, and a Butterwort I got at Lowe's (not that it lasted long).

Part of me still wants to cross carnosa with a Venus Fly Trap. What else would I call it but Audrey Two? :D

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• User
    8 years ago

BAHAHA I just lol'd, Brad. I am so down for an Audrey Two. FEED ME, MOONWOLF!

• moonwolf_gw
    8 years ago

"Look out! Here comes Audrey Two!" :D

In the original film (by Roger Corman-it's in black and white!), Audrey Two was crossed between a Venus Fly Trap and a Butterwort, which does leave my mind thinking that such a cross could actually exist, but nowhere near as huge as Audrey Two grows, since those CPs are small in size. A cross between a Hoya and a Nepenthes could occur since both are found in similar parts of the world.

I'm beginning to think botany/horticulture is becoming my calling in life.....

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• zigbud
    8 years ago

Indoors: Besides hoyas --- calatheas, orchids, dischidias (ok, sort of hoyas...), epiphytic ferns, bromeliads, and a few silly standard houseplants that I grow just because I had them hundreds of years ago when I was in college, and they were such nice friends in those days --- Coffea arabica, Chamaedorea elegans, Sansevieria trifasciata hahnii, and 2 (count them, two) variegated Hedera helix cultivars. The last of which I carefully never let near the doors or open windows so that they don't escape into the forest.

Outdoors: Very nearly everything that will grow in the Maritime Pacific Northwest.

Fortunately for my budget, indoors and out, most of the things that I grow came from friends who were dispersing their collections. I was careful to have the right friends. :)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets