SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rocketdebbie

Oversaturated myself with info, need help with island lighting! Help!

rocketdebbie
6 years ago

We are putting in a new kitchen and I'm driving myself bonkers with the island lighting decision. I've convinced and unconvinced myself through a dozen choices! Houzz people, I need your clear eyed-therapy, stat! My project starts in two weeks, and I'm just being ridiculously indecisive. (not normal for me).

So here's the vision: We live across the street from the ocean, and have a solid beach vibe in our home (navy blue, sea foam green colors in living area adjacent to new kitchen). Cabinets will be painted white, shaker style with some bead board accents (outside panels of island, ends of cabinets on both sides of L, back of glass cabinets) recessed cans near edges of upper cabinets; the room it's being built in is a large roomy open concept with living area. Pretty big island, approx 90 X 112 so it's like a large square, double decker with bar height seating for ~5. Blue Pearl GT (or HQ depending on who you're talking to) for granite. White glass subway tile for backsplash (pretty sure about that anyway...but keeping an open mind). Lots of tall windows in this room for the views. Oak flooring. Rustic beach stone fireplace. One wall full of large color pictures of vintage ads for bathing suits/ladies wearing vintage bathing suits.

Kitchen renditions below...sorry about the alignment.

Some paremeters:

I love color. Considering large blue glass pendant globe style. Given the granite the most obvious choice is a lt. blue, but maybe cobalt would be more striking?? One object of my affection: https://www.houzz.com/products/wavy-hammered-hand-blown-glass-pendant-light-1-celling-hanging-light-blue-13-prvw-vr~88820764 until I realized the hardware is black. That stopped me. It just seems stark and like it would jump right out in a bad way.

I don't care for "fussy", but I do love the unique (the bathing suit project took a year): Chandeliers seem to be really popular for beach theme, but most of them are just too busy for me. EXCEPT THIS: Rope "chandelier" . I think this is completely the coolest light I've ever seen. 14.5"Hx13"Wx13"D, but only 40 watt. Enought light? Would it be appropriate? Then I bring in some blue leather chairs for the island seating? Two of these for sure? Too busy for the kinda busy granite?

I know, so easy to second guess yourself and I'm overthinking it but it's the only part of this kitchen I'm having trouble with!!! For some reason.

Any other suggestions? Would love input!

Thanks so much!

Comments (2)