SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misskimmie

HELP!!! Need more Info Presto Canner 1745

14 years ago

Ok, So I jumped in before learning how to swim. After many years of BWB canning, I wanted to try pressure ( approved recipes of course). I opened my brand new presto model 1745--- no instruction book. An this one has an "adjustable Regulator". My stew is almost ready to ladled into hot jars and I don't know what to do.

kim

Comments (43)

• 14 years ago

Here's a link to Presto's website where you can download the manual. I don't see one listed for a 1745 so you'll have to pick one close in size and features as yours, like the 1755?

Here is a link that might be useful: Presto Manuals

• 14 years ago

PS You're supposed to have the pressure gauge tested at your local county extension office before using it for the first time, and once a year thereafter. It can be off by a few pounds even though it's new.

Many here recommend you convert to the jiggle weight so you don't have to fool with the gauge. Sorry, you may have to freeze this batch of stew until you get set up properly.

• Related Discussions

Presto Canner Question

Q

Comments (29)
    Thank you Dave, I did look and read through the instructions a few times and poked around the site. I did find a couple of recipes, but I guess I didn't look hard enough. I will go back and thoroughly look at them. I was given some happy news this evening. My friend has invited me over to her Mormon friends home to can tomatoes with them, tomorrow morning! And on top of that, she uses a pressure canner, so I can pick her brain a bit , and gain first hand knowledge on how to control the temperature, see the weights in action and how to fully operate it from start to finish. I am so excited I can't believe it! I am more of a visual learner so reading how to operate something is hard for me to understand and digest. This is going to help me complete the operation picture. ~ Amanda
    ...See More

Need help with Presto Pressure Canner ASAP

Q

Comments (5)
    Well it seems that it was a combination of 2 different things. You will have to realize that I was making a triple batch of Annie's Salsa after working out in the garden in our 95 degree days we've been having here lately. So I was pretty danged tired by the time I got around to actually doing the canning part. I was using one of the smaller burners on the stove and even though the water was boiling I guess it didn't have quite the oomph it needed and the air vent/cover lock wasn't popping up all the way (first time I used the pressure cooker so maybe that's from the newness). But I moved the canner to a bigger burner and once the vent popped back up some I just pulled it up by hand and the pressure started building and everything was okey dokey from that point on. Thanx for the replies.
    ...See More

Should a newbie we get the Presto or Jarden/Ball canner?

Q

Comments (40)
    raspberrytart - since you have that treasure of an old stove that deserves to be preserved and well cared for then a separate burner would be your best bet IMO regardless of which canner you buy. Skip the canning element - if you could even find one that would fit your stove - to avoid any damage to the stove. The 16 qt Presto gets excellent reviews and will handle most anything you want to PC without the extra weight and size of the 23 qt. Rather than a graniteware canner you could consider a small, deep stockpot (discussed in several threads here) in a 12 or 16 qt size with a flat bottom for about the same price or even less and add a small rack in the bottom. It has sufficient size and also much less weight and is faster to heat up. But many of the available electric stand-alone burners simply aren't powerful enough to can with and cost much more than a good stand alone propane burner such as the one from Northern Tool linked in several discussions you have likely read already. Plus they are often even smaller than the burner on your stove and some don't heat large pots evenly or can damage counter tops with the trapped heat. If you have a gas grill then the burner is all you'd need to can outside as many of us do. That gas burner will handle ANY size pot. ;) Dave
    ...See More

Newbie Pressure Canning Question - Presto Canner and Weights

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks again for the wealth of knowledge! The forum is so helpful! Our second batch (20 pints of creamed corn) went MUCH smoother. This time we removed the canner from the stove element and it seemed to cool quicker...maybe 20-30 minutes. I followed the instructions at the NCHFP website for cooling: " 9. After the canner is completely depressurized, remove the weight from the vent pipe or open the petcock. Wait 10 minutes; then unfasten the lid and remove it carefully. Lift the lid with the underside away from you so that the steam coming out of the canner does not burn your face. 10. Using a jar lifter, remove the jars one at a time, being careful not to tilt the jars. Carefully place them directly onto a towel or cake cooling rack, leaving at least one inch of space between the jars during cooling. Avoid placing the jars on a cold surface or in a cold draft." Maybe I missed waiting another 10 minutes between removing the canner lid then removing the jars? We had quite a canning day yesterday! We canned 20 pints of creamed corn, 5 quarts and 7 pints of peaches, and 4 half pints of peach butter (had to do something with those extra two pounds of peaches!). The height of the 23 qt presto made for easier HWB quart canning versus my granite ware HWB canner. I have two more questions... 1-when we canned our peaches, we followed the recipe in the ball blue book for peaches canned in syrup. We went with the hot pack method in heavy syrup (50/50 ration of sugar to water). Now that everything is processed, the peach slices have floated to the top of the jar. I know it'll taste the same but it doesn't look as pretty lol. Any recommendations? 2-when using the presto to pressure can, I've waited until the safety button pops up to start timing the ten minutes of continuous steam coming from the vent pipe. Typically there is a funnel shaped flow of continuous steam before the safety button pops up, but I guess I just want to be sure I'm expelling all the air. Is there any harm in doing it this way? Thank you everyone for your expertise! I'm so excited to be canning!
    ...See More
  • 14 years ago

Yeah you take a great risk just jumping in like this. I'd suggest you freeze this stew batch and learn to use the canner first.

The gauge either has to be tested or you have to by the weight set and learning to use a PC takes a bit of practice at best. It isn't something you take out of the box and use even if it had a manual with it. ;) Plus there is no model 1745 listed by Presto and they also don't list an "adjustable regulator". Are you sure it isn't a pressure cooker and not a canner or perhaps another brand? Maybe a Mirro?

Further, as is often discussed here the manuals that come with pressure canners aren't an effective source of proper canning methods.

You'd do better to study the "Using a Pressure Canner Guidelines" offered by NCHFP and following the directions provided in the recipe.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP

• 14 years ago

I can't find that model number. Is this the 16 quart without a dial or with a dial, or is is 23 quart with the dial ? I don't know what you mean by adjustable regulator. Either you have a dial gauge canner or a weighted gauge canner.
    If it has a dial you must have it tested first or your food may be unsafe to eat. They can be off by as much as 4 lb. out of the box.
    If you have just the three piece weight set, then you are good to go.
    It would be best if you would do a trial run with it with only water to find out how to operate it first.
    Also, where did you get the stew recipe ? It needs to be a safe, tested recipe for canning, not your own recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to use a pressure canner.

• 14 years ago

As for the stew recipe, Its from the Ball blue book... that's all I'm going to use. The 16 quart Presto canner does not have a place for a dial, nor did it come with one, only what they call "an adjustable regulator, which maintains 5, 10 or 15 lbs pressure automatically ". There are weighted rings that can be added to the regulator for the correct pressure. Did I get a wrong kind of pressure canner ?

• 14 years ago

No that one is fine - you got it at Walmart I'm betting and it is a sub-model made just for them to sell - thus the unusual model number, no gauge, and the 3 piece weight set.

The standard Presto 16 qt is model 01755 and comes with a gauge and only a counter weight but yes you can download that manual from their website and use it for yours but you really don't need it.

But all the other cautions voiced above still apply - you need to practice and get familiar with a pressure canner before using it to preserve food.

The Ball Blue Book is fine to use as it is all based on NCHFP guidelines. Just don't use old outdated editions of it as things do change.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Presto 16 qt pressure canner

• 14 years ago

Oh, you got a great canner ! That will make things real easy for you. No gauge to get tested. I highly recommend the weights for that reason. Plus, you can listen to it "rattle" while you are doing other things. You don't have to be watching a dial.
    Good recipe in the Ball Blue book, too. Once you do the stew you will be hooked and want to do more things. I really like canned chicken, too. So versatile and makes a quick meal. My dh won't hardly eat burritos with hamburger any more since I have canned beef. He loves to shred it, add a jar of the green tomato salsa and make burritos. One of the fastest meals for me to make.
    You can use the instruction on using a pressure canner from here, only the thing you need to change is the length of time you leave the jars in the canner. It is now 10 min. longer after you remove the weight before you open the lid and take out the jars.
    On the Presto, the weights should jiggle the whole time.
    Really, it is so exciting to hear those jars "ping" as they are cooling.
    Let us know how it turns out.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to use a pressure canner.

• 14 years ago

Good luck and have fun.........It's about safety and doing things the right way but it's also about enjoying the experience too...

• 14 years ago

This one is what you got, right? Looks good and I am glad to see they finally made one without a gauge!!!

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Presto 16 qt. at Walmart

• 14 years ago

Oh my! Only $62.75! Dave, you may have finally convinced me to give up my 8-qt Mirro. ;-)

The nearest one available is in a town 40 miles away, but I'm heading there for a Chili Pepper festival next weekend anyway.

Now where is that no-gas bean recipe, gardnpondr? :)

• 14 years ago

Suggest that you do a search for Presto pressure canner threads here. It will bring up many very RECENT threads about Presto and its weight set, regulator, etc, or whatever.

• 14 years ago

The only downfall to the 16 quart is not being able to stack layers of jars, as in the 23 quart size. That is why I love the 23 quart ones and then add the weights to it and use it that way. Makes things faster for me. I can buy a brand new 23 quart for $69 here.
    I actually have 2 of them that I use at a time. I had 4, but sold some of them. Can't store that many canners.

• 14 years ago

Yes Dave, That's my canner. It's the only one that I could find for sale locally. I did try a batch. I would have a liked a larger capacity. I have a large family and we often have company. Oh well. I will work on getting comfortable with the procedure. You guys are great! I appreciate that you keep everyone on the straight and narrow path ( NCHFP guidelines). I know I can count on you.
    kim

• 14 years ago

23 quart Presto Canner at Amazon a couple of days ago $80.99 with FREE shipping. Same canner at Walmart $97.98. 3 piece weight set $10.34 (part #50332)at Amazon but I don't think that included shipping.
    Jim in So. Calif.

• 14 years ago

Latest Amazon prices:

*23qt Presto Canner - $88.00 w/free shipping
    *Weight set - $10.99 w/$5.15 shipping
    *Larger Concord 20qt stainless stock pot to fill all those jars with - $50 w/free shipping
    Total - $154.14

That's a big jump from a $63 16qt Presto at Walmart! I'm sure if you have a larger family, or regularly have large quantities that need canned (in pints, the quart size capacity is the same) in a short amount of time, the investment is well worth it, just not for me I'm afraid. ymmv

• 14 years ago

I picked up the 16qt Presto at Walmart today... last one and only size they had. The actual in-store price was $68.77. Still a bargain if you ask me.

misskimmie, if you would like a copy of the instructions I can upload them to my website for you to download. Let me know.

Dave

• 14 years ago

Most all Presto canners have printed instructions on their web site. They are in downloadable ADOBE format as a PDF file, and contain some recipes too.

• 14 years ago

Most all Presto canners have printed instructions on their web site. They are in downloadable ADOBE format as a PDF file, and contain some recipes too.

"Most" being the operative word. See the second post to this thread.

• 14 years ago

It should not matter what manual you go by. Pressure canning is only one one way and thats the way it should be done, no matter what manual you use. The manuals may not show very old models, but if there is no weights to set pressures correctly, and only a dial gauge, it would be recommended not to use it until a weight set can be installed.

• 14 years ago

You should have read the rest of the thread too. As Dave found, and the OP verified, the Presto Model 1745 is sold at Walmart (link below) and comes with weights, not a gauge. That is why I am offering to upload the instructions that came with My new 1745, so the OP will know the proper way to deal with the weights and anything else that differs from the gauge type models listed on the Presto website.

This is beginning to feel like "No good deed goes unpunished". :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Presto 16qt at Walmart

• 14 years ago

There is virtually no difference in the use of weights on any PC no matter if its got a dial gauge or not. The dial gauges are never referred to for actual pressures and even though a few places calibrate them, they can go out of whack very easily. A calibation is on a small conversion chart where you read the pressure indicated on the dial and refer to the chart for the actual pressures. Even for that, they are not linear and offer no assuranceas to the correct pressures. This is the main reason Presto offers a PC with no dial gauge. If Walmart is selling these canners with no booklets, any book would do. This isn't a complex machine like a car engine..

Its not a 'good deed', only info that everyone has the oprton to read or ignore, whatever they prefer.

• 14 years ago

So medcave - not to change the subject or anything ;) but have you had a chance to try it out yet? If so I'd be interested to know what you think of it given your PC experience. Been thinking about picking one up as an extra to my 23 quart. Hard to beat the price!

Dave

• 14 years ago

Please do change the subject Dave. :) I got to try it out this morning as a BWB since my old pot apparently decided to warp the last time I used it. The only problem I had was just as I bumped it up to high to bring it to boiling, my burner started arc welding big time! Scared the bejesus out of me! Fortunately I was able to just shut off that burner, reset the breaker, and quickly get it up to boiling on the other big burner.

I had plans to pressure can some chili this afternoon but I spent most of the rest of the day chasing parts and getting the stove working again. I still need a switch I borrowed from one of the small burners, but at least I have both big burners working again.

Will try again in the morning, but I guess I'll just go ahead and plant the pinto beans that have been soaking since yesterday evening rather than use them in the chili. :)

• 14 years ago

PS The Peach Jam for Cold Mornings turned out great! I found some really good peaches and fresh picked some habaneros at a chili fest on Friday. Made a double batch and it's the best one yet. Love that stuff, even in all this heat. :)

• 14 years ago

I guess I'll just go ahead and plant the pinto beans that have been soaking since yesterday evening rather than use them in the chili. :)

No! Make refried beans out of them and freeze 'em. When thawed a little sour cream some diced chilis and some melted cheddar on top. Fan-tastic!

Dave

• 14 years ago

Electric stoves not only need new elements, but the socket they plug into can also fail. Thats what usually fails as they get very hot, oxidize and then heat up more. If your changing the burner element, also change it socket which is held in by one single screw. Its easy to do, but either shut off the breaker or unplug the stove first. My new oven did that within its first year. A little tomatp juice dropped on eh oven elment and caused it to develop a hot spot, then arced and lit up the whole kitchen with 220 volt arcing! When replacing the larger elements, look for the ones with the most coil turns. The lesser ones dont distribute the heat as good. If yours is a Hotpoint, it may have wired in burners, but they to can be replaced very easily.

• 14 years ago

I just finished canning a 10pt batch of the NCHFP Chili Con Carne and wanted to say the 16qt canner worked great. There were no explosive blasts of white arc welding light and foul smelling electrical smoke coming from the burner this time... that was a plus!

No problem with siphoning or keeping the weight in the "gently rocking" mode. I *was* surprised how long it took to cool down enough to open the lid though - one full hour.

The only problem I had was with the instruction to remove the canner from the burner after shutting it off. Even though I set the canner on a very thick pot holder, the heat de-laminated my Formica counter top causing it to bulge upwards a bit. One should either set the hot canner on a thick raised butcher block, or on another cool burner on your stove, I suppose.

Overall I give it 2 thumbs up. BTW... I don't know how y'all lift a full 23 qt or bigger canner off the burner at the end of processing. I'm betting some don't. ;)

• 14 years ago

I don't know how y'all lift a full 23 qt or bigger canner off the burner at the end of processing. I'm betting some don't. ;)

We don't. ;) Despite what your cooker manual says, you need to leave the pot on the burner until after cool down is complete, the weight has been removed, the 10 minute wait time is completed, the lid is removed, and the jars are removed.

This is a relatively new instruction from NCHFP and that normal on-the-burner cool down and wait time is part of the computed processing time.

Further, if you are done with the cooker - no additional batches to do - let it remain just where it is on the stove until the water in it cools enough to safely handle and dump.

Dave

• 14 years ago

Well that sure makes more sense. I should have trusted my insticts and left it on the burner. Thanks Dave!

Now what I want to know is, is it absulutely necessary to add salt to the beans before/as they are cooked? That is a recipe for tough beans!

I made a double batch of this chili and continued to simmer, what I didn't can in the pot on the stove. After an additional hour of simmering, the beans were still tough!

I sure hope the ones in the canner softened up. I should have trusted my instincts on salting the beans too, but I wanted to do it "their way" the first time anyway.

• 14 years ago

PC does tenderize them plus you have the cooking at serving time too. But the "Drain off fat and add 3 teaspoons salt," part is flavoring optional so yeah you can leave it out.

Question for you: since my canners have gauges too it is easy to tell when cool down is done as gauge is back to zero and the lock has released. How do you know when the weights only one like this has cooled down? Touch?

Dave

• 14 years ago

There are three holes in the lid of this canner:

The one in the center is for the jiggle weight.

There is one near the edge that is a rubber over-pressure blow-out plug.

On the opposide side near the edge is an aluminum pop-up vent valve. As pressure just starts building during the exhaust stage, this valve pops up and seals off.

Then when pressure drops (near zero) after canning, that valve drops and further vents. Once that valve drops, it's save to take the jiggle weight off. Now wait another 10 minutes before opening lid.

(see, I should have posted the instructions) ;-)

• 14 years ago

PS I just realized that aluminum pop-up vent valve is also what keeps the lid from being opened under pressure. There is a tab rivited to the canner that blocks movement until the valve drops under it.

• 14 years ago

Safety device so the lid cannot be opened while under pressure.

• 14 years ago

Just a little bit of information about those big canners, you know the 22-23 quart ones. I bought one a couple of years ago with the best of intentions... When I finally tried to put it on my stove, it wouldn't fit. I have a small oven above my stove and the canner was so tall that it wouldn't fit. I finally sold it and also went to Walmart for some other things and came home with the 16 quart canner. I am so excited, I can't wait to use it, but I will have to wait until time allows...

Thanks for all the knowledgeable info, recipes, advice...
    Teri

• 14 years ago

The 16qt is the "sweet spot" canner for me too. I have a shallow cabinet above my cooktop. While a 23qt would fit under it, the venting steam would probably warp the cabinet door. :) Plus those big canners really need either a specialty canner burner for your stove, or a standalone burner.

My old PC is an 8qt Mirro, so it's real nice to have all that extra capacity with the Presto. While I was at WalMart I went ahead and talked myself into a 12qt stainless steel stockpot so I could actually cook up double batches to fill all those jars with. It has a glass lid, triple layer bottom cladding, and was only another $40. Now I can finally make a big pot of chili and get it up to boiling without burning the contents in the bottom of the pot! :)

Congrats on the purchase Teri! If you just can't wait to can *something*, you can always just do a trial run with some food-colored water in your jars. ;-)

• 14 years ago

Hmmm. I guess I got a bargain on the stockpot at WalMart. It's listed on their website for $79.97, but I paid only $39 something...

Here is a link that might be useful: 12qt Tramontina Stockpot

• 14 years ago

I found a Presto Canner at a yard sale for $5 on Saturday. I wrote Presto and I also took it to my extension today.
    The dial gauge checked out fine. I will probably order another gasket even though it looks fine, no cracks, not brittle, and flexible. It has a pressure plug and came with a jiggle weight and a canning rack.
    It's got "MOD 01/CA 21H 0675 (I think it's a 21H, hard to see the 2, but the bottom part of the number is clear). It does have 409A at the bottom, which I understand is on all Presto models, indicating the product listing at UL labs. I could not find anything about it at PressureCooker-Outlet.com

This is the reply I got from PRESTO:
    "It is a 21 quart canner and can still be used as long as you put rubber parts in it. We suggest you replace the sealing ring. The extension office cannot tell if it is good or bad by looking at it. You will need sealing
    ring 09907
    This is a steam dial gauge canner. The weight if it is the correct one is going to be 15 pounds. As to its age, the date code of 0675 indicates it was made the 6th week of the year 1975.
    For your second layer of pints or half pints you stagger the second layer ( in other words put the top jar between two of the bottom jars."

I have never heard of 'staggering' jars like this without a canning rack (from this site at least). Can you stagger them this way without a canning rack? I did ask her about using one. Or is that the way you do it WITH a canning rack? THAT makes more sense to me.

It is the Harvest Gold canner, next to my green Sears Maid of Honor, which works quite well I might add. One of the interesting things about the Presto is the wooden handles with wooden pegs, not screws. It's too bad it doesn't extend more over to the side for release when it's hot. My ext. agent said she's seen a lot with wooden handles. She also mentioned how clean the inside of the lid was. She said you wouldn't believe what she sees.

It WILL be tested with water first, absolutely! It's a 'find' I couldn't resist and always when you aren't looking for one! Im thrilled that I found one that I can double-stack pints. Now that I have a still-to-refurbish All-American and these two, maybe I will become the Pressure Canner Lady (ha ha) and sell any that I don't want to keep.

• 14 years ago

Ahh, the days of harvest gold and avacado.. Do you recall what colors were popular for kitchen things before those colors? Way back in the very early 1960's it was pink and charcoal. Just don't trust the dial gauges as they can be way off. The better pressure regulation is with the weights. If you only need 10 pounds, check with the maker to see if they have the 3 weight set for that unit. Usually they only offer a 15 pound weight standard, and it wouldn't need to be that high a pressure at sea level.

• 14 years ago

That is a dial gauge canner, for sure. That is NOT a weight, but a counterweight. It only holds the pressure in the canner, it does not regulate pressure. You are the one to do that by adjusting the heat on the stove. I do highly recommend part 50332, the three piece weight set. Then you don't have to worry about it. Just use the right weight for your altitude. Most people use the 10 lb. pressure. The only ones who need 15 lb. live at high elevations.
    Technically, if you do use the counterweight it will rattle at 15 lb, but I have seen them go over that pressure near the danger zone !!
    The weight set is milled to be exact.
    Good deal for $5 . We can too, tell if they are bad by looking at them most all the time. We check to see if they are soft and pliable, no cracks in the gasket, etc. We inspect them when we test gauges.
    Unless it leaks when you take it for a test run, the gasket is good. Do not oil it, though. It breaks the compound down. Instead, if it leaks, you can try heating in hot water, then stretching and putting it back in the canner.
    You do stagger the jars, but still should use a rack in between layers for proper heat circulation and allows the lids to vent properly.

• 14 years ago

I have not seen any mention elsewhere about the term 'counterweight'. Presto refers to their weight set as simply a 'pressure regulator' or 'pressure control weight'. I would think a counterweight would be something like that used to balance out loads on elevators and cranes

Here is a link that might be useful: Prestor Pressure regulator

• 14 years ago

Let me update you with what came with the new Presto 21 quart (Harvest Gold) and the Sears Maid of Honor(green).
    Please tell me what I've got, Ken or Linda Lou.

(above) This pic is at Amazon from the link that you sent me Ken, and I looked at the part number at Presto Canning Parts as well, showing the main piece and two weights.

(above) This is my Sears "Maid of Honor"

(above) Sears Maid of Honor, it comes apart. Has the one separate weight (only) and it's the larger one.

(above) This is what came with the Presto. It comes apart. Has two separate weights. The largest one will not go all the way to the bottom of the main weight. Seems to require the smaller one (left) on the bottom and the larger on top. (However it does fit on the Sears regulator all the way to the bottom, so it may be due to some corrosion on the Presto).

(above) Crinkling on right weight is corrosion where it has bubbled.

Is the regulator with just the main weight with the black knob = 5 lbs. ?
    Smaller weight added = 10 lbs. ?
    Larger weight all combined = 15 lbs. ???
    OR the other way around:
    main weight and larger weight = 10 lbs,
    add smaller weight added with the larger weight = 15 lbs ? (would make more sense due to the size of the metal weights).

I am within 1000 feet so I would use 10 lbs. (I think I'm around 800 feet or so above sea level).

If I'm not mistaken, the newer ones are labeled with poundage whereas these are not. I am going to ACE Hardware tomorrow after work and buy the part number 50332 (I checked, they do have them) to have another complete set on hand in case I want to sell one of these.

OR you can ignore this post as I will be getting a new one anyway!! Hope it wasn't too confusing.

Thanks,
    June Lynn

• 14 years ago

Sears Maid of Honor is probably a model made by Presto, just like Kenmore washers are actually Whirlpool. Not sure why there is only a two piece weight (probably lost the third part), but with the knob and metal base ONLY, that equates to the 5 pounds. Add one ring and its 10 pounds, add two rings and its 15 pounds. The weights are not going to weigh that, as they only control the steam presure that is allowed to vent once the presure builds to the point where the weight is lifted and venting occurs. If the two piece canner has a dial gauge and its reading accurately/properly, you only need to know if its allowing the canner to reach either 10 or 15 pounds. If its the latter, that would be used for higher altitudes. If its just 10 pounds, then its fine to use for most canning at sea level up to about 800 feet. Keep in mind that there is no true EXACT way to deal with these minor differences, as they can just drive you crazy and give you lots of confusion. The ONLY part that needs to be the right size is the part that has the hole in it for the vent tube. The added rings sit on that base part and their hole size is not an issue, unless they don't fit the base/knob part.

• 14 years ago

When I have P.canned, the SEARS gauge does say 11 lbs. (as it's one pound off, so I have to make sure it's at 11). I know the weights are not going to weigh those actual pounds. Each added weight adds enough weight to limit the pressure to 10 lbs. only and then to 15. lbs. with the second weight if it were needed. So, at least those canners did have those parts. That is a saving grace when getting them used.
    I hope other newbies read this for the clarification is very good. Thanks for respoinding so quickly Ken!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH