SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rutrow76523

Selling a home that flooded- proper & legal disclosure to Buyers

X Y
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Our home is not in a flood plain, however, within the past year we have had waters about 14" high surround our foundation twice. We've been here 15 years and this is the first time this has ever happened. It's due to a levee that just went in about 4 miles away, but there is no legal recourse...believe me, my entire city has tried. This could occur again and again. The first time we had no prior warning, so our finished basement did flood. The second flood, 15 months later, we knew it was going to get as high as the last time, so we had a powerful 3" trash pump pull from the floor tiles and release down the street. We did have some constant trickling water seepage through the basement sliding door which we tended to with four wet dry vacs which we manned 24x7 for 3 days with the help of family and friends, emptying the buckets when they were full. With notice, we can stay dry on the inside with the exception of the patio door seepage. Wanting to sell FSBO to save money since we were not covered for all of losses the first time and we know the value of our home has likely decreased dramatically. I have done FSBO before with no problems, so don't mind doing it. But, how do I properly and legally disclose this on the Seller's disclosure? What specifically do I say on this form so I can sell this home and be honest, but not have them running for the hills screaming to get away? This is only happens with 'record' rains...not just heavy rain.

Comments (16)