SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anna_jensen89

Lead Paint

Anna Jensen
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We just bought our first home last month and the exterior paint is peeling, cracked, and in bad shape. Our neighbor, who says he's been painting houses for 30 years and pointed out some of the work he'd done in the neighborhood, offered to paint our house for us. We felt a bit rushed but decided to go with him as his quote was very reasonable and we know nothing about painting exteriors. My son plays with his grandson sometimes since they're right across the street and we felt we could trust him. He came over the next day and pressure washed the siding and paint flakes flew everywhere. He did not put down any tarp or plastic. After I surveyed the mess he made, I realized that those flakes might have lead in them so we did a test and sure enough - lead. I'm so angry with myself for not thinking of it earlier and angry with him for not using proper methods. I could write a whole separate post about that. We will be paying him for the power washing and taking over from there. My issue now that it's been done is what do I do now? We have lead paint chips that flew into the yard. I'm worried sick as I have a 10-month old baby. How do I clean this up?

Comments (5)