SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danny_birchall

Why would a hawk come after me?

Danny Birchall
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

A hawk appeared at the park here in the city, El Segundo Ca, Idk if it is an adolescent or a small female. I walk my 60-pound black lab pointer mix daily at this park. Del Aire Park. It has many various large trees. The park is a fenced in square and I let my dog run off leash down one side to the back and all the way across the back to the other side because it's fenced in and he listens. As he was picking a spot to poop a hawk swooped down and arched it's wings and lowered its feet. Growing up in Santa Monica Ca, I haven't had much experience with raptors. So I yelled hey get away from my dog and clapped which made it land on the fence not far away at all, just on the fence over us and I said you go on and waved my arms and made noise with the keys and leash. It left but 50 feet down the way my dog went to poop right next to me when the hawk returned and it seemed like the bird was deciding which one of us to land on and I used the leash like a lasso because of how close it was getting, yelling at it and my dog didn't see the thing I guess because he started playing chase with me. I'm very scared now and I leash my dog and locate this thing in the tree. Let the dog know he won't be pooping here today and we walk the 150 feet back to the front of the park and just before we get to the playground I turn around for the 10th time to see the hawk going for me, again I yell and wave and scare it away. Others are near us now and to many shade structures for it to get us now. Did I intrude on a mother who was nesting, or a rabid bird. Or just a hungry bird? Is it moving in or just migrating? Thank you so much.

Looking back I noticed no crows or squirrels which is normal plus there's a family of strays living in the bottom of the big 5 which creates on of the walls of the park that weren't out but looking through the grate they live in at my dog. I didn't go to the park yesterday so it must have come then.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County