SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krissfi

Please help with living room layout and furniture

Kristina G.
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi,we bought this house a few years back. It was our first home and we were more interested in furnishing then decorating. After living in the space for a few years, ready to change and decorate and now struggling with the layout of our living room. The front door opens in the middle of the living room. This is the only living/family space in the house. It is an open concept. Size is 17x15. I have attached the layout. We removed peninsula for a small island. I had the sofa in the middle of the room, looking at the Tv unit/bookcases, just now I have turned it around where it is looking at the door. It makes it a bit uncomfortable to watch the Tv this way, but it is more open and it doesnt feel like the room is divided in two. If it would be divided in two, then how?So, here are the changes that I want to do- new wall paint, Pale palomino by Behr. Paint the door the same color to make it blend in with the wall more if the sofa will stay looking at the door? We would be going with all new furniture ( except the armchair, that is my furry princesses chair, as you can see :) , new flooring, new window treatments, decor etc... And that is where I need help. Desperately... I have been driving myself crazy, please, please help. What type of sofa?-smaller, corner, L shaped etc. Where to put it? Maybe a loveseat instead of sofa? Chairs opposite TV for Tv watching? Dressers, consoles against the wall where the pictures are? Pictures are getting replaced by art. Where exactly to put the TV? This sofa is too big ( 109 inches), too deep, too soft. I have to have an ottoman instead of a coffee table, are son is just now in the crawl/walk stage, I dont want nothing he can bang his head on, at least not for now. I dont want to keep the existing ottoman, replace with a new one- bigger square, rectangle, or round? We dont use the front door as our entrance, we use the back door. I just dont see how we could make it function as an entry. Also, I would like to remove the Tv stand/bookcases, it seems too dark and heavy. Maybe just a nice taller, wider Tv stand. One bookcase on a wall behind the dog chair, repainted white? If you are advising to keep the Tv/bookcase, I would definitely repaint white. I am open to all suggestions for layout, types of furnishings etc.. The most obvious solution being moving the door left or right in place of a window is not possible at the moment. Thank you so much for reading this, I apologize if it seems all over the place and please, advise away :)

Comments (5)