SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6704026

DESIGNERS.....HELP!!!!

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am usually a matchy matchy sort of person and I am trying to get out of that with my new house. Can you please tell me if you think that these things coordinate with each other??? Thanks in advance!

Wall Color:

Curtains:

Flooring:

Area Rug:

Gray sofas:

Ceiling pendant:

Entertainment Center:

Comments (61)

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

Persian rug will be perfect with your other choices

And don't be too harsh on yourself with "matchy matchy" thing-you can reframe it you know and say "I'm a person who loves symmetry and repetition..")) It's what many people love, especially in traditional decorating, which you seem to be drawn to. Your curtains hint on your liking of classic motives.

So take them even further, love them with all your heart, and add a Persian rug that's highly traditional too-it just originates from places with other traditions:)

the idea though is the same-you borrow from history here and there, and it works together just beautifully.

Due to similar colors, and shapes, and you being drawn to them.

You just take it further and make it more interesting.

As dor entertainments center-that one is a bit too heavy for my taste..having said that- I do love the idea of some sort of space dedicated to TV and books and albums etcetera. Media loves being with other media. Who knows maybe they quietly bicker all night long while we sleep:)

So I'd think what kind of shelving/cabinetry can give you it all in your room. And whether it should stand out more being different material, or dissapear more, blend with the walls, and let the books etc do the main talking

Good luck- it will be beautiful.

• Maureen
    6 years ago

Here is a pic of a white rug to give you a feel of the room (although your couch is grey). It's a modern, minimal look. Add some rust into the mix as well and brass accessories.

You could also use a white rug but with a more defined pattern and it would still work with your drapes...it's ok to have different patterns and it makes for a more interesting room. Bring home a few rugs and test them out.

If you go with a Persian rug, be sure to introduce additional colors that compliment your rug.

I would highly suggest a different entertainment center, as it feels dark (especially with your floors), bulky and not the right look with your couch. A more modern look is a console with tv above. You may want to look at lots of inspiration pictures, so you get a feel for an overall look/rug/accessories and color combinations that work for you. Good luck.

• Related Discussions

Should mirror touch back splash? Design help needed

Q

Comments (24)
    >the mirror will need to not touch the ledge below it. over time, say 5 years or so, water and cleaning agents will seep up behind the mirror and create a black line at the bottom of the mirror. You need enough space to no allow water to wick up behind the mirror. Kind of puzzled by this. I can see that this would be a big issue for mirrors that come to the countertop, but I have 30 year old mirrors that are actually supported by the backsplash, and they're just now starting to go at the corners, which I don't think has much at all to do with that.
    ...See More

Shower design help!

Q

Comments (9)
    A 48' linear drain in a 66" shower is going to be incredibly awkward on the ends where you will have to have a slope inward to the drain. You will end up with a "channel" where the two planes meet, and that's not going to be easy to stand over. A linear drain needs to run the full width, and in this case, if you place a 48" drain at the right , running top to bottom, with a bench behind it, the 4' drain will work. Otherwise, you need the full 66" drain at the rear.
    ...See More

Fireplace and connecting wall design help

Q

Comments (3)
    We are getting ready to remove all flooring and put a light wood flooring throughout.. furniture is not staying and decor has not been put up. We want to work around this fireplace design..everything is really a blank slate. Behind me in both pictures would be the kitchen
    ...See More

Design HELP-choose siding for Lake House

Q

Comments (3)
    Might add interest by using cedar shakes or look a likes for cable areas. I like your colors. Adding some wood look would warm up look.
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I'm actually drawn to the rug in the picture with the TV console. My style is definitely traditional but I originally had thought of the blue walls with white sofas and white ent center but that's when I thought that it was too matchy matchy. Do I threw in grey sofas to change it up and I thought that was good enough! LOL
    I love the Persian rugs but would need to find one a little more subdued. My other color options within this room are coral or seafoam. I have many accents in these 2 colors and would like to use some of what I already have. And now I'm wondering if grey sofas are really a good choice....I really like the look of the beige sofas in the second to last picture. I'm so confused!!!
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

You have very nice choices and have been given a host of great ideas, and I just want to reiterate what others have said, that the entertainment center is just not done any more, and a console as shown in the above picture would be so much more suitable, and give a lighter and more current feel to the room. I hope you'll come back and show us the completed room.

I don't see any reason why you can't have a beige sofa. Try to pick a rug that has some beige in it, even in small amounts. A more subdued Oriental rug would look very elegant.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, I am nixing the entertainment center! I will definitely come back and show....I'm a few months out but I remember where my help comes from.
    As I get more ideas and see things that I like I will post here to get opinions.
    And beige sofa doesn't look tacky with white curtains?
  • Rina
    6 years ago

Shalena, I can only repeat my opinion that your original selections are wonderful, with the exception of the entertainment centre, on which subject you have had many good suggestions. Don't let your head get muddled; you have taste. I love the idea of the Persian rug. Keep on track.

• Maureen
    6 years ago

If I were you, I'd start doing research...saving your favorite rooms and you'll begin to see a trend. It will also help with ideas around combinations, colors and accessories. For instance if you like the drapes you have chosen, introduce some black (and a grey or beige couch would work). Then add your pops of color with pillows, accessories and art. A white console would work well with the idea below and paint color should be your last decision. Chose a look and your favorite first piece and use that as your jumping off point.

Maybe consider a navy couch, instead of navy walls and go from there. It's a fun journey and take your time.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks soooooo much everyone! I never expected to get such great feedback, thank you!
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Take it one step at a time. A mood board can only tell you so much. The light in your room will affect it tremendously. Get your walls painted and your floors done. Then see how it looks and either choose a rug or buy your sofa. I would choose the rug and see it in place.

Ditch the entertainment center - not good. Think about built in book cases and a place for your TV. GO SLOWLY!

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    How do you get built in bookcases if they're not already built in with the house?
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

a carpenter can do that or if you look up, can be done ikea and other shelves as diy not hard at all.

I am sorry i am late. earlier i showed you all these pics on mixed colors. you said that you felt you would have to mix with white sofa, but i showed all with gray, is that not what you were going to use?

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes I was but I thought that the grey looked odd with the different colors and then if I had my navy wall. It's probably just my fear of stepping out of my box.
  • deegw
    6 years ago

I used to get really overwhelmed by decorating. Then I started to approach it like a puzzle. Get one or two things that I REALLY like then start looking for other things that fit. It takes longer that way but I am never unhappy with the results.

Other folks plot everything out on a mood board and finish most of the room in one step. I have trouble visualizing mood boards in three dimensions so that process has never worked for me.

Your choices are lovely but you don't need to do everything at once. Unless of course , your brain works that way. If that is the case, then go for it.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

yep shalena, that is what it is. you want me to toss those examples out? i do want you to remember that you go out you buy - for example, the gray couch you like. all my pillows are under $25. dependent upon the size you can have rugs for very reasonable. and many companies definitely mine at least have great return policies. what i am trying to say, is you have many chances to change and you can also enjoy for a few years and then change out with out breaking the bank. you can even have one set for winter and one set for summer, if you are feeling really fickle.

• PRO
    Milano Doors
    6 years ago

Hello. Yes! I think that all these things will approach to each other. Everything will well look.

• deegw
    6 years ago

I do want to add that dark stained floors are not as popular as they used to be. They look great but people are not choosing them because they are very difficult to keep looking clean. You would think that dark would hide dirt but the contrast between dust and dark floors is too high and the dark floors end up highlighting the mess. A nice mid tone stain would still look nice with your other choices.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes, havingfun, because I like to change my decorating up often which is why I usually go with a neutral sofa and patterns/colors on things that I can easily change (wall color, throw pillows, curtains). I think though that my matchy matchy is just my style, LOL. I feel "off" with too many patterns and colors. I realized that last night after looking at rugs for 2 hours!
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    d_gw, wow! Thanks for that info! I actually did think that the dark wouldn't look as dirty. And I am getting porcelain wood look tiles as I live in the Caribbean. I will see what other shades I like.
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I just fell in love with this rug! (I'm so traditional, there is no hope for me)
  • PRO
    Tammy Heather Smith LLC-- Realtor®
    6 years ago

Post some photos of what the room(s) look like. I love the dark blue color paint you chose, but used right for the space.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Tammy, I am out of the country working right now and will get home on Wednesday. I will take pictures of the room then. I had some but I think I deleted them from my phone.
  • Rina
    6 years ago

Well, Shalena, it is, after all, a very beautiful rug.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Rina....yes, it's gorgeous!
  • PRO
    Tammy Heather Smith LLC-- Realtor®
    6 years ago

That's great, Shalena. I like to see what is the style of the home, what is the amount of light in the room, what features are in the room that you'd want to accentuate, what do you already have that you want to keep to keep costs down.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Maybe your house would be suited for color, with neutral mostly in furnishings.... even another color as complement... PRO/ RSVP Design Services:
    Walls are Sherwin Williams 7019 Gauntlet Gray.
    Ceiling is Benjamin Moore HC 156 Van Duesen.
    Benjamin Moore YorkTowne Green in next area [though doesn't seem it, check?]https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/color-overview/find-your-color/color-search?keyword=Yorktowne%2520Green

Formal Dining Room · More Info

• User
    6 years ago

If you like traditional but live in the Caribbean, you might really like the British colonial look. Google it and I'll try to find some photos too.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

One more paint idea that's different - could be the thing with interesting furnishings that you place.

Harbourside Custom Homes: "The color is Sherwin Williams 6170 Techno Gray. It does have a lovely sea foam tint to it."

San MIchele · More Info

• User
    6 years ago

British colonial style with some navy

( by the way I love the look of the style, but I'm not condoning British colonialism )

wood

natural fibers

blue

tan

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wow! So much to think about and consider. I like all of those photos (except the one with the pumpkin looking ottoman). I'm definitely going to explore the British colonial look and I'll look into the island look also because I did like that photo also.
  • Nancy Walton
    6 years ago

Shalena, I LOVE that rug! It has both the gray and the blue, and you could still bring in a third color for accents. The coral I mentioned before, yellow, lime green, or even pink!

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Nancy,
    I was thinking the seafoam because of the accents I already have but I also have a lot of coral stuff also. But I just can't picture it in my head and when I do it looks weird. It's my type A again. Would it look ok with just the 4 colors in the rug? Ivory, Navy, Taupe, and Soft Blue?

I feel bad because I asked helped getting out of my matchy matchy but when I see things it doesn't appeal to me together. I will like certain parts: a rug, a pillow, a lamp....but then putting all of the colors together make me cringe! LOL I'll just probably end up with a nice looking, but albeit boring, house.
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

For many, decorating never ends.... it's ok.... but I had forgotten you had such navy already! but in the photo I posted, there were blue mugs, etc... and that looked good with the room's colors...

• User
    6 years ago

Shalena, you just need a house that makes you happy. You have good taste and I'm sure it will look lovely.

Remember, you live there everyday. Make sure it's a space that YOU love

• everdebz
    6 years ago

another soft green... with tiny bits of blue... your sofa is solid navy, so not so sure... is it navy?

Bedroom Lighting · More Info

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Dark wood floor and maybe dark end tables, etc... Idk... but you might be onto new direction that's less decorator matching [not bad mostly, no].... the photo I posted has beige carpeting [can be hard to find exactly what you planned in a photo!].

• havingfun
    6 years ago

shalena, i love the iris rug - course i am a blue girl. i think that if i were to add in another color it would be the coral. although you can just decorate using the colors you love and put the other colors in your art work. art work are like jewelry, they do not have to match anything, you just have to love them.

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

LOVE the rug you chose, at this point you're doing great.

• Nancy Walton
    6 years ago

Your description of the colors in the rug and the rest of your room would be considered an analogous color scheme, which would be what you call as "matchy-matchy." You could wait until it's complete to add your bright accent until all is done. You could always return anything that didn't look right. Have you made a decision on the rug already? How about some update photos of the space as you complete each step along the way? That way, we could assess everything better.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Well, nothing is set in stone yet but I REALLY love that rug.
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

Mirrored Furniture | Joss & Main · More Info

Safavieh Midnight Kiss Garden Stool, Dark Blue · More Info

Sites-athome-Site · More Info

Ivory Capiz Accent Lamp | Pier 1 Imports · More Info

Floor Lamps | Joss & Main · More Info
    if you don't like any let me know i have others.

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    6 years ago

I recommend taking this project one step at a time. Get all your dirty work done first: floors refinished, then cover and protect them, then move on to painting. With this out of the way you can focus on decorating. Brass is coming back, gray is on the way out again, I would re-think the entertainment center and go for custom millwork or a nice low storage cabinet. Here are some more furnishings to consider click here

Good luck with your project!

• havingfun
    6 years ago

Amazon.com: Mika Home Jacquard Bamboo Leaf Pattern Accent Throw Pillow Case Spri · More Info

Vintage Oriental Blue Floral Cotton Linen Cushion Cover Pillow Case Home Decor,C · More Info

Decorative Pillows - Walmart.com · More Info

Allen Park Print Throw Pillow & Reviews | Birch Lane · More Info

Fuzzy Faux Snow Leopard Pillow | Pier 1 Imports · More Info

Cottage Mineral Rectangular Throw Pillow · More Info

Decorative Pillows | Birch Lane · More Info

Pillows and Throws - Pillows and Throw Collection | At Home Stores · More Info
    i can toss these too and give others, i just love these and they bring int he gray.

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago

This room is navy, but has a lot of white to balance the dark navy blue, and hot pink accents with pillow and chair.

W Residence · More Info

Here are more navy blue family rooms with grey sofas....might give you some different things to think about and try to incorporate....mostly small amounts of color.

splash of purple and blush tones in photo

CIty Projects · More Info

Just Navy and White; similar to your window treatments.

Avenida Cresta · More Info

Deep navy and grey with classic oriental type colorful rug

Hurndale · More Info

Another oriental rug with navy and grey

Roscomare Library · More Info

Accent color of strong bright green with white accents..

Papermill Estate East Cobb, GA · More Info

If you really want to go bold, consider then new deep Emerald Green paint color that is a great beautiful trending color instead of navy blue? Ethan Allen stores are showcasing it in their entry rooms.

You have a great room and great pieces.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I love the green and navy room! And the navy and white room!
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

do you want different furnishings and pillows? should i remove what i put up.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hello guys!
    Sorry I haven't been answering. We are preparing for a hurricane here. I will dealing with that but will come back ASAP once it has passed,depending on the damage.
  • User
    6 years ago

Shalena, I just ran across this thread. I do hope you and yours survived the hurricane. Please let us all know how you're doing. Keeping good thoughts for you.

• User
    6 years ago

I am curious regarding on which island you live. My manfriend grew up in Grenada. I had the tail end of Irma, nasty nasty storm. I hope you weathered it well.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

shalena, hope you have born up well under the storm.

• Rina
    6 years ago

Thinking of you, Shalena. I hope you and yours came through safely and the recovery is manageable. I suspect you may not have power right now.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH