SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flylifefilms

What Type of Grass is This? / Is this Rust Disease?

TK Primes
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Newbie Lawn owner looking to ID my grass type as well as figure out whats killing my lawn (i suspect overwatering). If anyone has any suggestions on what i should do to help recover before winter comes that would be much appreciated. Love the forum just joined this week! I've been bit by the Lawn Care Bug!

Lawn Type: Unknown? Please help ID
Lawn Age: 1.5 years (sod was layed last june). In the very first pic on the top right corner of the lawn you see a dark green section along the driveway. This was newly layed sod the builders put in 2 months ago. This gives you an idea of what it looked like brand new (dark green).
Soil Test: I have not completed one yet. Feels like a clay type mix however as it retains water for quite some time. I also suspect i have an issue with drainage and or soil compaction as the builders likely didnt do a very good job of leveling the soil prior to sodding (had to get them to come back to fix the issue and it's still not perfect). During heavy thunderstorms i get a huge puddle about 2ft away from the side/back of my house that's about 10ft long. It drains out to the front of the street however typically within a few hours.
Watering schedule: I suspect i have been overwatering after reading many of the posts here. Up until last week, I had been watering almost every day or every other day (shallow/frequent). That combined with heavy rains this summer lead me to believe i have some type of fungus or rust dissease.
Mowing: I have been mowing at 4" cutting height (as that was recommendation for cool season lawns) typically every week. Since descovering i had been overwatering, my plan was to dry it out by mowing at 3" height 2 days ago. Was this a good idea?
Fertilizer: Up until last week when i put down my very first app of Scotts Starter Fert (due to seeing my lawn dying) i had never layed down any fert. From what i've researched i need to get ready for my fall application soon. I would likely benefit from Core Aeration especially considering the overwatering? I was planning on laying down Some Organic Fert this week just to help save the lawn before i put down my final Winterized blend which will likely be Scotts Fall Season or Golf Green Gold.

Comments (4)