SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

I thought they would all be safe...part 3

marilyn_c
6 years ago

So I got to Val, but it was really hard to put a halter on him and he eventually got away. He was literally floating up and had his nose in the water. He would breathe out and blow bubbles, lift his head and then it would fall back in the water. I tried to catch Mariah but as soon as I got close to her, Gypsy, who is really hateful to her, backed her ears and made her move.

After I tried several times to get one of them, someone said some people were coming to help.

Meanwhile there was a woman there who would not shut up. Yammering about the most inane crap. I was on my last nerve and the only reason I didn't cuss her out was because she rented the house on that place and TueLo had died and I hated to say the things I wanted to because here was a dead horse across the fence from her. Finally she asked me how I felt about my house flooding. I snapped and I said (add as many cuss words that you can think of....I said them). The clean version...I told her I didn't give a damn about the trucks or the house. The only thing I cared about was my horses and getting them out before the rest of them drowned. That shut her up for a few minutes and I went back in.

Val came to me. I am sure he knew I was there to save him. I got the halter on him by hanging on to his mane and standing on his knee.

Then a boat came with 4 cowboys. One roped Mariah and got her out. Another led Val out. The others followed with some difficulty. The mule tried to go through the fence and Val did too. They had cuts but not bad.

We got the horses to the road that was high ground and some people stayed with them and we went to get Amos.

The guy was a good roper but he couldn't steer a boat worth a damn. He ran over several trees and branches. We could see the barn was full of water so no hope for Hobo and Moses. We got to the trailer and they said nope.... he's dead because they couldn't see him.

My rehab partner, Nara was with us and she said, 'No! I see him!". Then the guy said, well we:vr got to go...I have water in my gas.

I am sure he was worried about getting stranded back there and not be able to get out due to the heavy current.

Oh, hell no! I would have jumped out of the boat before I would leave him. He barely had his head above the water. Nara jumped on top of the trailer and got to the side door and got him out. They pulled him behind the boat over so damned many branches and over the front gate. Nara kept his head up. Part of the time he was on his side. Yes..., it infuriated me, but I had to get him out. Thank God it was a donkey, not a horse. It would have killed a horse.

When we got back to where we left the horses, a lady was there who heard about it on FB. I didn't even know anyone had posted it. She lived nearby and had an empty pasture.

.We walked them over there. I led Mariah and Jody led Amos and she led Val.

We got there and s little water was running over her driveway and the horses didn't want to cross it. Got Val and Mariah across but Gypsy, Bane and Sabrina decided they would just turn around and go home. We managed to head them off and turn them back. I decided to put a halter on Bane, so the lady gave me a halter. Her husband asked me if he was gentle. I said,,,'No..he is crazy.'"

I was putting the halter on him....had both arms up around his neck, and the man walked up and he took off. I tried to hang on to keep him from stepping on me. He is a big horse... 16 hands and more than 1200 lb. He dragged me about 25 ft. I was getting hit on my back by him and finally let go. He didn't step on me but I hit the pavement hard. Hurt my knee and neck.

The reason the other horses didn't follow well. TueLo wasn't there. she was top horse and leader. Since she died, Gypsy has taken over and she is about half wild.

When we left the house, I left my little raccoon in a crate on my desk in the bedroom. I couldn't leave her loose in the house because the dogs were in there. I left my baby squirrel in the hall linen closet. I thought we would get a boat and go right back and get them, but that was before I knew the situation with the horses.

I had no choice but to wait until we could come back again.

To be continued...

Comments (14)