SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
house2home00

Put more down for lower IR?

house2home00
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi there! I am buying my 1st home at age 29 in San Diego. I am trying to decide if I should put 23% down or 25% down. At 23%, I will get a 3.625% IR and at 25%, I will get a 3.49% IR. It's about an $11,000 difference in the down payment and about $80 a month between the two. I will have $185,000 in the bank left over after the down payment and all closing costs plus $150k in my 401k, so I could afford the $11k. However, I do plan to put $10k in renovations into the home. I just can't decide what to do and want to make a good decision for my future.

Reasons to put 25% down:

-lower IR

-lower monthly payment

-lower amount of debt to my name which means possibly better opportunities in the future to be approved for a car, another home, investment properties, etc? Is this relevant? ($80 lower)

Reasons to put 23% down:

-keep the $11k in the bank, which is collecting 4.2% interest in mutual funds (varies but that is an average)

-more liquid cash so that if someday I can't make the mortgage, the $11k would probably be more valuable than the $80 per month (hopefully would never happen to me and certainly don't plan on it, but you never know)

-more interest to write off, but I calculated the difference in the 1st year and it looks to be about a $300 difference in the refund for the 1st year so I'm not sure this is a relevant reason

I plan to live in the home for 2-5 years and then buy a bigger home when I get married and rent this one out.

Any advice on anything I haven't thought of or from personal experience would be really appreciated as I'm terrified of this 1st home purchase!! (I have my reasons for the 23% vs the normal 20% so no advice needed there =)

Comments (30)