SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodystevens57

Help with 13 year old lab's horrible itching

jodystevens57
6 years ago

My very best furry friend, Sam, is a 13 year old lab. She had surgery May 1, 2017 for removal of breast cancer. Very shortly after her surgery, she started limping her right hind leg. Vet said he couldn't feel or see any anomaly and attributed it to age related arthritis and prescribed Previcox. Next visit he added Tramadol. This Appears to help and yet she won't bear weight on it when standing and is moving around less and less. Now she is scratching her hindquarters, tail, top of back excessively! No change in diet, I have been bathing with MD prescribed shampoo as prescribed, benadryl, zyrtec, topical hydrocortisone even aloe vera but nothing has helped!! Not prescribed prednisone yet back to vet wednesday (last visit 2 weeks ago Sam's vet was on vacation and "new" to Sam vet was very reluctant to even treat her. Her tumor has come back :( and in 1 month its softball size) and I fear has spread internally considering how fast the visible tumor is. It's really hot here now but she pants so much!! I am so terrified this will be our last trip to the vet and I admit I am not handling it well. I want to do what is best for her. I thought I would know if the time came but I don't No more surgery though. for sure She is eating well and drinking well her eyes are clear, her gums are pink and she still wags her tail a lot and rolls on her back to be belly rubbed (she sleeps that way a lot as well) Is the panting from pain unrelieved by meds, metastisis of cancer to lungs (she doesn't appear air hungry?), itching from a sciatic nerve pins and needles feeling, a reaction to the Previcox?? I would so greatly appreciate any and all knowledge,wise words, advice to guide us through this!! SAM & Jody

Comments (4)