SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erasmus_gw

Did you do anything different this year?

erasmus_gw
6 years ago

My roses had unusually good rebloom so far this year. There were several things different: lots of rain in spring and early summer, and I got a small load of horse manure, and I fed them three times instead of once. Usually I feed them in early spring and that's it except for the youngest ones which sometimes have gotten a little liquid Miracle Grow. This year I put out the manure and then three applications of 10-10-10. Each time I put out the 10-10-10 right before we were expecting a good rain. My usual philosophy about feeding is that I don't really want to push plants so much that they have weak, floppy growth. I am not seeing that kind of growth but some growth and good rebloom. I will be feeding more again next year.

Another thing I did differently is I grew zinnias, cosmos, hollyhocks, and forget-me-nots from seed. The zinnias , California Giants, are huge and I'm enjoying them. I've never had luck with Forget-Me-Mots and I guess they're supposed to be easy. I tried them in pots this year and it worked. They've been in bloom since spring. Maybe they'll self-sow.

My husband got a Worx rechargeable weed eater that is totally wonderful. I don't like fooling with little gas engines and using a cord weed eater is a pain. This thing doesn't stay charged long but it is so easy to use and I can get right among the plants with it. What's new in your garden?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert