SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomorehz

Conifer recommendations for North Florida

scottih_z8FL
6 years ago

Been lurking for a year here and have finally taken plunge to start a conifer garden in Tallahassee. Heat and especially humidity play biggest role for choice of cultivars or genus/species. Gets into the teens in the winter for a bit. Have a great resource in book "Landscaping with Conifers and Ginkgo for the Southeast" by Tom Cox and John Ruter that is my basis. Pinus thunbergii, Pinus Densiflora, Pinus Wallichicina, Picea Orientalis, pretty much any Chamaecyparis or Cryptomeria, most Thuja, Cedrus, and Juniperus are what are indicated that would be successful here. I live on 3 acres and am using about a half acre now for the conifer garden. I have started collecting various cultivars that have been highlighted and appear interesting. Would appreciate anyone's two cents for recommendations or experience in this neck of the woods. Personally love blue or glauca, dark green and variegated although often the colors that show in other parts of the country are muted or poor in this heat and humidity. Been ordering from Conifer Kingdom, Sing Tree, Kigi, Maplestone, Iconic Gardens, Mr Maple, Evergreen at this point. Thanks in advance for any help/advice!!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida