SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_norris8

Growing adenium indoors, year round?

Andrew Norris
6 years ago

Greetings!

I have years of experience growing many tropical plants, but am 100% new to adeniums. I don't currently have any, but am currently considering a list of 10-15 varieties that caught my eye, all are labeled as "grafted" and then have a name given by the hybridizes, mostly in Thailand.

I live in the North East and we have 2 season; cold and wet and then hot and wet.....or dry, depending on the year. Taking a large collection outdoors and then hauling indoors invites insect pests, and I have an extensive indoor collection I'd like to keep protected from the likes of thrips. Outdoors, on our wooded lot, we have pretty shady areas and not much sun, anyway.

My questions concern eventual height and a reasonable height I can aim to achieve by pruning for the plants, at maturity and how much light I would need. I was considering 6 2200lumed each, LED retrofit tubes, about 6" above the plants. The light fixture also has a built in reflector. Is it possible to grow, bloom, and achieve reasonable caudex formation indoors, under these conditions?

I've familiarized myself with their watering needs, fertilizer requirements, media, and potting techniques, and so forth, so I feel confident in their basic care.

are there any links to indoor growing anyone would like to share?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (18)