SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Tweaking my zucchini bread to make it more healthy

l pinkmountain
6 years ago

I tried tweaking my traditional zucchini bread recipe to make it a tad healthier. Used all white whole wheat flour and part applesauce for half of the oil. 1/3 less sugar. It was just so-so and a bit dry. I think my white whole wheat flour has gone off, tastes a bit rancid. Keeping flour fresh is a big struggle for me because I don't do that much baking and don't have that much fridge and freezer space right now.

Wondering what your tips are for healthier quick breads and zucchini bread in particular? I usually don't like all whole wheat baked goods, and no point doing half whole wheat, does not make that much difference. Adding oatmeal is how I often make flour have a bit more fiber. Wondering if I could do zucchini oat bread? Also wondering how to make it a bit more moist? Wondering if adding some pear butter I have would give it a shot of more intense flavor? How much, couple TBLSP? Any other tips?

Also, I seem to have good results with whole wheat pastry flour but can't find it much anymore. I used to get it fresh at the health food store in the fridge section, but I don't really live near a market that keeps flour in the fridge anymore. Any tips on where to get fresh flour online? I will NOT be milling my own, I can barely manage to bake!

Comments (13)