SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mstywoods

Plant ID help - post 1

mstywoods
6 years ago

Hope you can help me ID some of these plants! I have a neighbors who had a lot of established plants in the house they bought earlier this year, and who wanted to thin some out. I grabbed a few things, and took pictures of some things to see if I could find out what they are for her. Most have already bloomed this year, so no flower to help. A couple still had a bloom or too. One or two look like they may be getting ready to bloom.

Here are the pics - quite a few, so will have to do in multiple posts. Any ideas on any of them?

I think this may be fleabane (the tallest plant in the pic) - the couple of flowers left on it are almost white, but think now they probably faded to that color (I don't remember if she told me what color it was when in full bloom). I know I have fleabane in my yard, and it is a lavender color.

Here's close up of bloom.

I think this is geranium sanguineum?

Here's another plant that looks a little similar, but leaves are slightly different.

This looks like Blackeyed Susan, but the flowers are much smaller (see second pic of plant compared to actual Blackeyed Susan):

Here's pic of same plant right next to actual Blackeyed Susans - much smaller flower:

This is definitely some type of berry - we both thought raspberry, but the old berry left on it (rather dried) looks more like a blueberry. Would this be a huckleberry?

Closeup of berry:

This is one that looks like it might be getting ready to bloom:

Pretty sure this is catmint - it definitely has a minty scent to the leaves:

More in another post.

Comments (18)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I can't even tell which foliage goes with the first one, but based on the flower it could conceivably be Erigeron, fleabane! There are MANY different species, and I doubt that you'd ever be able to find out which one it is--or for sure if it is Erigeron. Once Upon a Time Dan (I think) and I had a LONG discussion about them! We got into online references to try to "help" the discussion, but all that did was to prove how complicated the whole area is! Also, many of the Erigeron species look like/very similar to, Asters, especially some of the "wild" types of asters. When I'm out trippin' and see "one of them" I can't even tell if it's Erigeron or Aster I'm looking at--I just enjoy them and let them be Nameless! Next year when it's blooming you could try taking a stem of flowers, with leaves, in to a garden center, but I'd be really surprised if they could tell you for sure what it is!

Numbers 2 and 3 both look like some kind of Geranium to me. No way to know what species. Possibly when they bloom you could google a lot of them and see if you find any the "look right."

Your Black-eyed-Susan is very likely Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm'. It's the "reliably hardy" Rudbeckia! The ones you're talking about that have bigger flowers are probably R. hirta! They're not reliably hardy, tho they do often come back for a few years. They're often sold as annuals. They're very easy to start from seed, which is how I get them since it's WAY cheaper than buying them as plants--and it saves money if they only live for a year or two. Winter of 2015/16 I left the dead seedheads on my R. fulgida plant--never had time to cut them down--and had birds--Juncos mostly--hanging on them to get the (TINY) seeds! It was fun to watch them, so last winter I left them on again--but the birds didn't seem to find them! Plan to leave the seedheads on again this winter--and maybe put out a sign to help the birds find them!!! ;-D

Can't ID anything below the Rudbeckia!

Skybird

• Alyssa C
    6 years ago

The last photo is not catmint... at least not the catmint I'm used to, which has smaller gray-green leaves and a lower growth habit. It could be catnip?

• Related Discussions

Plant ID help #1

Q

Comments (4)
    My guess would be kalanchoe beharensis 'Fang'. Does underside of leaves look like this?: This post was edited by rina_ on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 23:12
    ...See More

Please Help Id This plant growing in my SFG #1

Q

Comments (7)
    Anything is possible. It depends whether or not you are sensitive to it. Some people can roll around in poison ivy with no ill effects and others can just think about it and break out. We are all different. FataMorgana
    ...See More

Need plant ID help #1

Q

Comments (2)
    Agreed with staphylea trifolia
    ...See More

Plant ID help - post 2

Q

Comments (10)
    Just a heads up on the plumbago/Ceratostigma! It's another one that can--how to put it nicely?--get out of hand! When I was selling it it was one of the things where the rhizomes would be growing out of the holes in the bottom of the pots! That was enough to scare me away from ever getting one--even tho they do get pretty true-blue flowers, and the foliage turns red in fall. It can be very pretty when you have both the red leaves and blue flowers at the same time--but one needs to decide if it's worth it to be constantly fighting to "keep it where it belongs." It sure looks to me like the previous owners of that house put in a lot of invasive to semi-invasive things! I'm sure they looked good for the first few years--and now someone else is going to have to deal with the Years Later Version of them! Show your neighbor some of the things at your house and suggest that she slowly get rid of all the invasive/aggressive stuff and start to replace it with some stuff that will behave itself and be less work in the long run. You can tell her about the swaps, or offer her small starts of some of your things! (No! I don't USUALLY give away other peoples' plants!) She'll thank you for it down the road! Skybird
    ...See More
    6 years ago

There's a bunch of different catmints, then there's catnip, and calamint....... Another one of those things that you may not ever be able to ID for sure. If it has square stems it's in the mint family--but that doesn't really tell you much! Here are a couple pages with some of the things in the Mint Family!

http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/mt_mints.html

http://www.luontoportti.com/suomi/en/kukkakasvit/?c=Lamiaceae

Conceivable that if you take flowers/leaves in to a garden center you might be able to get an ID--emphasis on "might!"

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    6 years ago

Pics 7 and 8, the ones with berries, look like mulberry or blackberry..

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Skybird! Yea, I told her I thought #1 was Fleabane/Aster, so I'll just leave it at that! LOL. But I'll give her the species/genus name Erigeron as well (thanks!).

Will also leave it at two types of geranium, and a variety of cat mint (I took a little of it and the stem is square).

Thanks for the ID on the black-eyed susan variety - Rudbeckia Hirta. I got this from a different neighbor who had a lot of it and wanted to thin out. She probably knows the variety, but now I do!

You inspired me to look up more on Rudbeckias for the smaller flowered one (from the overgrown garden neighbor), and I'm thinking it is possibly Rudbeckia Triloba (brown eyed susan). The flower is only about 1 1/2" across, at best. But basically, I'll let her know it's some type of Rudbeckia! Thanks :)

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just saw your post, treebarb! I think you may be right that it's a Mulberry! I think the leaf pattern resembles that more than the blackberry, now that I googled it. The little dried up berry was throwing me off as it's wasn't a cluster. Hopefully she'll get some berries next year and she'll know for sure!

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    6 years ago

3 looks like it could potentially be a Callirhoe, wine cups/poppy mallow to me.

9 is Chenopodium album, lambs quarters. Typically considered a weed.

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It does look like poppy mallow, Zach - thanks. And 9 does look like lambs quarters, too. So lambs quarters is an edible wild flower/weed. I'll let her know this as well, and let her decide whether to keep or pull! Thanks!

6 years ago

I think either you misspoke or I'm not understanding you, Misty, but the black-eyed-Susan in your pics I'm pretty sure is R. fulgida 'Goldsturm'. It's the R. hirta that often has the bigger flowers, and also often has "other colors" in them besides just the yellow/gold. This first pic is R. f. 'Goldsturm', the "true hardy perennial."

http://search.eaglelakenurseries.com/Content/Images/Photos/F214-09.jpg

And here's a page of a bunch of different R. hirtas! R. h. can range from the same size as R. f., or some varieties can get up to probably close to 5" diameter. I have the all dark red/brownish one right now, I think it's 'Cherry Brandy', and the flowers are close to 4" The fully open flowers on my 'Goldsturm' are about 3". But flower size will vary on any of them based on growing conditions--light, water, soil...

Common names for all the Rudbeckias are black-eyed-Susan, coneflower, orange coneflower, and gloriosa daisy--tho gloriosa is more often used for the larger, multi-colored R. hirtas.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1308&bih=889&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=gloriosa+daisy+rudbeckia+hirta+-pinterest&oq=gloriosa+daisy+rudbeckia+hirta+-pinterest&gs_l=psy-ab.3...79776.80715.0.80970.5.5.0.0.0.0.105.513.0j5.5.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0.pIvxdqLgNV0#imgrc=_

While it's certainly possible that your neighbor could have R. triloba, the two most common commercial varieties are the two above, so it's more likely that she has either fulgida or hirta. Also, triloba is considerably taller that the other two, and I believe the tips of the petals are much more rounded than R. f. or R. h. That might help you tell!

I agree that the foliage on #3 looks similar to Callirhoe, but in the pic I think the habit of the plant doesn't look quite right to be that, and when I clicked on the pic it enlarged enough that I think I can see buds forming, and they appear to me to be more like Geranium buds. If I'm right that those are buds, you should know soon what it is for sure!

Thank you, Zach, for identifying lamb's quarters!!! I now know what the weed I had growing all over this year was/is! (I googled it for more pics!) I found out from my neighbor that they had one growing last year and didn't know what it was so they left one--on their side of the fence--grow up and produce seed! This year I had them coming up all over on MY side of the fence! Have been pulling them out all year! So, Misty, I HIGHLY recommend that you "suggest" to your neighbor that it would be a REALLY good idea to lose the stuff--before you find it coming up all over YOUR yard!

Skybird

• mstywoods
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry Skybird - this is a little confusing since I have both shown in
    that one pic! So the flower that is closest in the second pic is the one that the neighbor who called it black-eyed
    susans gave me - and
    sounds like it might be Hirta.

The first pic that I said looked like black-eyed susan, but smaller
    (flowers are barely 1 1/2 " across) you ID'd as possibly R. fulgida
    'Goldsturm'. But when I googled that, I thought the flowers that came up
    in images looked much bigger than hers, and more elongated. That's
    when I started searching and found the R. triloba. But it's really
    hard to tell! I think I'll just tell her it's Rudbeckia in genera - and the one I got from the other neighbor I'll just
    call Rudbeckia, too! lol. I think it's sort of like the whole
    fleabane/aster thing - so many varieties with similarities! Thanks for
    explaining it, though, and posting the links to pics!!

6 years ago

I didn't realize that that's two different things, Misty! I thought the "closer" ones just looked bigger because they were closer to the camera! But--from what I can see of all the Rudbeckia in that pic, the branching habit, especially the ones in front, look like they're R. fulgida! All the R. hirtas I've met have more of a habit like a shasta daisy. The primary flower grows as a single flower on the end of the stem, and then secondary flowers develop (after the primary flower is starting to bloom) lower down on the stem--and additional secondary flowers then develop from that same spot or even lower on the stem. The one you have in the pic looks like the branching developed before any of them started to bloom--and then a lot of them opened at the same time. That's how R. fulgida blooms. So, there's no way I can be sure, but, regardless of flower size, I suspect that all the ones you have in the pics above are 'Goldsturm.'

Your system of just going with Rudbeckia is a good one! If you're ever trying to figure out for sure which (of the two) you have, R. f. spreads by rhizomes that are very close to the surface--making it easy to remove any you don't want! R. hirta grows as a plant with a single crown and has no rhizomes, so when it does come back the next year it's coming from the exact same place it did the year before--you won't find it "traveling around your yard!"

They're all pretty--and won't take over your yard, so enjoy them!

Skybird

6 years ago

I have a goldsturm I got from Skybird at a swap a couple years ago. Its a real star of late summer in my yard for sure. I have also had Rudbeckia species come up in wildflower mixes, I have not been able to determine which they are yet.

You're quite welcome Skybird, I'm glad I could help out both of you guys! Glad to see you you're still poking around here, haven't heard from you in a while!

6 years ago

I'm still here, Zach, but every time I try to "check in real quick" to see what's going on and I have to find the Little Box to X out of the NASTY POPUP--on every single thread I try to read--I usually just get mad and just go away again! I REALLY thought they'd lose that thing after a while, but it looks like it's not gonna happen! This used to be such a fun and active community--not very much going on around here anymore. Don't know if the popup affects other people like it does me--but if that thing had been there when I first found GW I would have X'ed out and never come back!

When I have checked in here I haven't seen much of you around either! Is life going well for you? Are you living somewhere now where you have a REAL garden again, or are you still gardening at a Remote Location?

Gotta go! I'm getting ready to go Trippin' again--and have a LOT to do!

Skybird

6 years ago

Yeah, it seems to have slowed down around here quite a bit! I don't have the popup thing like you, I think because I stay signed in all the time, but there's just not a lot going on here on my end to report.

I have been poking and prodding, but like I said, very little to talk about. I only get to see my garden about twice a week, so it's hard to stay active with it and active here. Nothing NEW to report this year because of that. Otherwise just the same old same old. Still doing the remote gardening thing, and I'm very glad that I chose to stay "small" this year. It would be completely overwhelming if I was trying to do too much. HOWEVER, there is some potential moving news on my end, but that's a topic for another day.

Where are you trippin' to this time Skybird?

6 years ago

Same place as always, Zach! Four Corners and southern Utah! This is the 10th anniversary of my Night Under a Rock, and when I'm at Capitol Reef I think I'm gonna walk back there one more time--haven't gone back for at least 5 years! And planning to hike the Sulphur Creek Route at Capitol Reef again too--it's my All Time Favorite thing to do in a National Park! I started going down that way in 2007, the year I slept under a rock, and had to go back the first couple years, and by then I was finding so many great things to see and do down that-a-way that I just keep going back!

I start out at Cortez/Towaoc where I do a private tour at Ute Mountain Tribal Park--EVERY spring and fall! Also connect up with a couple friends I've made at the UMU Rez! Am doing my best to get a couple folks there interested in gardening--both perennials and veggies! Then out to My Rock, a/k/a My Bedroom--the only place I'm going in Utah this year, and then to the far NE corner of Arizona, Red Valley, where, last spring I found a (fully modern!) Navajo Hogan to stay in! Last spring I got invited to Sunday dinner--where the whole family--except the two people sitting next to me--were speaking Navajo! Pretty cool! And then, for my R & R before coming back home I'm staying at a house just east of Buena Vista that's at 9,500' and is supposed to have a view of the entire Collegiate Peaks Range! It's owned by the Hogan owners, and they have another Hogan by that house! First time I've stayed there, but expecting it to be pretty nice! Next fall I might go all the way out to Bryce again! I really like that place, but it's very expensive to stay there! But it's an incredible--almost unbelievable--place, so I might decide to splurge! When I was there in fall of '15 a woman passed out in front of me on the trail across the bottom of the canyon and I wound up "sprinting" straight up the side of the canyon on a trail called Wall Street to get some help for her! My nice relaxing hike got un-relaxing really quick--and I didn't have time to stop to see anything or take any pics on the way up (I was just trying to keep breathing--7,500'- 8,000'!), so I REALLY want to go back there again to "finish" my relaxing hike in a relaxing way! But, since September of '07, Four Corners and southern Utah have become my Regular Stomping Grounds, and if you're ever gonna be heading anywhere down that way I'd be glad to make some fun recommendations! I stay in some really cool cabins/cottages/houses everywhere I go, with kitchens, and they're often the same as or cheaper than motels/hotels!

End of Hijack!

Glad to hear all's going well with you--and will keep my finger's crossed that you get some of your own Real Dirt before too long--aim for next spring!

Skybird

6 years ago

Re hijack: Your four corners trips always seem a like a blast! Even if it does involve sleeping under a rock, hey, that's an experience of a lifetime! I've slept some pretty odd places before, but none probably as beautiful as in the open air at Capitol Reef.

How wonderful that you not only go there to enjoy the scenery, but really connect with the locals, too. That's something they probably don't get a lot of with the tourists coming around to have their way with the land and then take off again. Coming from the public lands field, I can tell you how frustrating it is to see people come around, treat everything like it's theirs to use however they like and then leave it trashed. Having someone who cares enough about the land and the local community to keep coming back and trying to leave it better than they found it before is a real treat and the Four Corners region is lucky to have you. I love that part of the country, if only it wasn't so dang far away.

Our "own dirt" doesn't look like it's going to happen here on the Front Range, unless the housing market somehow makes a 180 degree turn overnight. I don't foresee that happening any time soon. Reality is, unless we manage to find jobs outside of Colorado we're stuck living like gypsies, moving from crappy apartment to crappy apartment every year for the immediate future.

6 years ago

Night Under a Rock was the "experience of a lifetime" only in a pretty warped way, Zach! Actually, more accurately, it was almost the "end of a lifetime!" It wasn't a planned fun thing--I had followed a cairned trail to get to what I wanted to see and when I tried to go back to my car I wound up following "fake" cairns for an hour--until it got dark! Hence the Night Under a Rock! Not gonna re-recite it all here, but if you're interested in more of the story, lions and bears included!, here's a link to David's thread that was active at the time!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2140813/i-just-reconsidered-bears?n=17

When you do get Your Own Dirt, I hope it is here on the Front Range, but you definitely gotta do what you gotta do! Wherever it is that you wind up, I hope it's at least somewhere where you WANT to be, and not somewhere you "wind up going" just to make it work! If you bogey out of here I'm gonna miss all your incredible pics!

Skybird

P.S. Have you ever heard of a place called Trees, Water, People? It's in Ft. Collins! (My connection is that they've put in something like 25,000 trees up on the Pine Ridge Rez, and I'm hoping they'll consider helping to reforest the Tribal Park--which, at the rate I'm buying trees is gonna take at least a 1,000 years!) Just seems like it could conceivably be "your kind of thing!" Have no idea if they're looking for anybody!

https://www.treeswaterpeople.org/index.html

https://www.treeswaterpeople.org/tribal-lands.html

6 years ago

I remember you mentioning the night under the rock before, but I don't think I ever heard the whole story Skybird! However now that the years have passed, what was probably a nightmare at the time is now probably less so? At any rate, you have a pretty awsome story and my God you are one tough lady!

Well, of you take a look at my newest thread, you will see that we are im fact heading away from Colorado and will be calling Arizona home, at least for a while. I accepted a four year term position with the National Parks Service at Organ Pipe Cactus N.M. But, not to worry, I'll still be around good old RMG. It will just be pictures of cacti and Pyrrhuloxias.

That organization looks really cool Skybird! I may be looking for work in four years so I'll keep them in mind! Very cool for you to be a part of that!