SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane2516

Scented candles: Removing smell

Jane
6 years ago

I bought a bunch of scented pillar candles and they are too strong for me and the dogs to be inhaling the scent all the time. Does anyone have any tricks for quickly minimizing the scent?

I don't usually burn them - I use them for decoration because the colors and textures and layers are so pretty.

I googled and the suggestions were airing them out outside preferably in a breeze, or confining them with baking soda or activated charcoal.

Part of my problem may be that I store them under glass cylinders so it may be harder for the scent to dissipate. Does the scent dissipate if I leave them out in the open? How long does it take? I just don't want to smell the strong scent from across the room.

I tried leaving a couple of them out with an old candle (that had lost most of its scent) burning nearby, in hopes that the burning candle would burn off some of the VOCs. That may have helped with one candle but the other still has a pretty strong scent.

If you know any tricks, please post. Thanks!

A related question: I'm looking for about 5 simple clear glass candlesticks of varying heights for pillar candles. Pottery Barn has some expensive ones. Right now I am inverting some slightly tapered stackable drinking glasses that I got at World Market. I need at least two heights, but 3 or more would be ideal. I have a modern aesthetic, so I'm looking for something that is simple enough to go with anything and does not lean to a particular style, weight, line, etc.

Here are the PB ones I saw online:

I think they are $30-40 each - yikes! I'm not sure if they would look too heavy on the table with some of my wine glasses.

If you have some suggestions as to where I could look, let me know. Thanks again!

Comments (5)