SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Building a bed on a retaining wall - bad idea?

Our house is built into the side of a hill and has steep slopes both in front and back, making gardening space a challenge to find. The only full-sun flat area in the entire yard is at the top of the back hill, held in place by a short retaining wall. It used to be home to a privet hedge, which I cut down and (hopefully) killed off this spring. Here's a photo:

That photo doesn't show the depth very well - here's another showing the actual ground (before the privet was cut down) and the shape of that cement retaining wall from the side:

Anyway, I have about 7' of depth to play with, so my plan is to add a layer (or possibly two) of cinder blocks or other stones on top of the existing retaining wall, extending them back toward the railroad tie beds by about 4', thereby creating a 4' deep bed with a 3' path between it and the railroad beds. I think 12" of height will be sufficient. My concern is whether the existing wall is capable of handling the weight of the additional layer and/or the additional soil. It's a fairly thick/hefty wall, but I'm not an engineer so I could be way off base. Opinions/suggestions? Should I consult a pro?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio