SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

A few new treasures for my garden

echolane
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I can't resist sharing my pleasure with finding a few treasures from my visit to Pond and Garden, a conifer lovers paradise in Cotati, CA. I had to exercise considerable restraint to only bring home four, perhaps luckily for the budget it is often harder to find the mini-conifers I'm mostly interested in these days.

There aren't very many Pinus cembra cultivars, but I found this one, Pinus cembra 'Ortler'. Something I especially like is that it's very soft to the touch.

I quite like the blue conifers, so I grabbed Pinus pungens Brynok. This one is very prickly.

I saw a beautiful bonsai there of Pinus parviflora 'Regenhold Broom' so I grabbed a tiny grafted version. It'll be awhile before I don't need a microscope to find it in the garden; it will definitely take a few years before it becomes something worth noticing.

Lastly, another small slow conifer, Tsuga mertensiana 'Bump's Blue'. I do have another I bought three or four years ago, but I thought I'd get another to put in place of one of the gigantic Ch. Lawsoniana 'Elwood's Pygmy'.

Now to find places to plant them, which won't be that easy!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider