SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
islandgarden

Calling all visually talented folks: lights, heights etc

islandgarden
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

House 1880s, kitchen is approximately 18'4" x 22'9" as shown. Ceiling will end up 9'1" or 9'2".

Main entrance we will use is from mudroom (cased opening on right side goes to mudroom). There are also French doors to the garden. And the main path to the rest of the house is through doorway at the bottom right. Bottom left door to butler's pantry.

Bank of 4 large windows with sink in center on left.

Onwards to lighting!

Plan was for 2 Visual Comfort Boston pendants over island and a hanging fixture (was thinking of using a vintage billiard light I have) over the breakfast table. Other lighting recessed 4" LEDs and LED undercabinet lighting.

But....

If I space the pendants over the island, they don't line up very well with the windows. It would look like this--like eyes set too close together:

If I put them over the counter under the windows, the most aesthetically pleasing configuration was using three (middle pendant centered over sink), ~44" apart:

But...I am 5'6" and DH is almost 6'6"--I don't want glare in my eyes, he doesn't want to hit his head on the pendants or have them in the way an.

Questions:

1) is there a height that would work?

2) will there be enough task lighting? pendants rated for 100W bulbs

3) will it look odd to have pendants on one end of a large room and a hanging fixture at the other end with just some recessed lighting in between ? I've made peace with the idea of recessed lights but don't want it to be ugly or imbalanced

4) will the vintage billiard light over the breakfast table (horizontal bar = 30") work with the windows there? other ideas?

This is the view from island towards the mudroom; that floating horizontal rectangle is meant to be the tabletop

and here is the view looking at the dining area towards the garden:

Electrician coming in a few days for rough electrical, so decisions must be made. Feel free to comment on any part of the lighting plan. If you must you can also tell me that My Fridge is In the Wrong Place :-)

Thanks!

Comments (3)