SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

My turn: wedding guest dress

Annie Deighnaugh
6 years ago

The wedding will be in October in Massachusetts. Afternoon wedding, reception starts at 4:30 through dinner.

Years ago, I bought this fabric and this pattern to make this dress for a wedding I ended up not attending. What say ye?

Kay Unger pattern:

Or I also have this fabric. I'd have to get a different pattern to use the border...I can use the border on top and/or at the hem of the dress.

Comments (46)

• 1929Spanish-GW
    6 years ago

I prefer the first fabric, but I'm not totally sure about the print. What weight is the fabric? I'm liking this pattern right now.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

Maybe, for me, it's all about how it looks when finished and it has to look fabulous if it's homemade, more so than if I bought it.So you might put a lot of work into it and I might think it looked awful or great.

All this stems from my grandmother making me thick polyester pants in the 70's.

You need to look at the finishing and fabrics of reasonably high end dresses, $300 +and how they are constructed. Not Dress Barn.

• Related Discussions

My turn. Can I wear black pumps with a dark navy dress?

Q

Comments (38)
    Zappos Hobo International Goldy Touch Ups Nakita ------------------------------ These are my first choice and the first one is pricey. Personally, I'd place my order for the Jessica purse. Sometimes items that are back ordered come in earlier and you could be lucky. If it doesn't come in in time you could cancel the order. But I'm still looking.
    ...See More

And speaking about dresses.....Pippa's wedding dress!

Q

Comments (47)
    I heard on tv somewhere that her dress was silk cotton lace - that sounds soft and lovely to me. I can't get enough of the pictures of the entire wedding party and guests LOL, not sure why it has such a fascination to me. I also remember being entranced with Diana at her wedding and afterwards when her babies were born, I just never got tired of seeing them. I also fondly remember following Tricia Nixon Cox and Julie Eisenhower when they were married, and I even took a day off from work to watch Tara and Phillip get married on All My Children (that was pre-vcr recording days)! I'm sure when I put my mind to it I'll remember some more weddings that fascinated me. Oh right, Jenna Bush Hager just popped into my head. And Katie Couric's second wedding looked lovely! I guess I could keep going!
    ...See More

My turn: what to wear to a June wedding?

Q

Comments (6)
    Both are very nice, and I especially love the detailing on the black dress. But if you can find a lighter, summery color you like, I would go that direction. Pale blue or teal, pink, coral, or another solid that looks good on you. I tend to stay away from a busy print for weddings.
    ...See More

Wedding guest dress question

Q

Comments (27)
    Ratherbe that blue one is really beautiful. I would love to have that shape. lol I have something similar from about 10 years ago in black with some little sleeves. I bought it at TJM without any reason to buy it- except that it was 39.99, fit great and was very comfy and flattering. I kept hearing my late dear mom telling me " buy it- don't leave it behind--your closet needs it". I have worn it so many times over the years and might even wear it in June to a wedding. ( I might have put on more weight than it can flatter ...so that's why I'm looking here too).
    ...See More
  • happy2b…gw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Annie, I love the Kay Unger pattern. I think the blue fabric will work up into a gorgeous dress. Since you have shared some of your sewing projects, I know you have the skills to create a very high end dress.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bumblebeez, I'm a good and experienced seamstress, taught well by my Mom who taught sewing, so if I make it the dress will not look "homemade". So I think we can leave that part aside and instead focus on the pattern and fabrics.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, happy. The first fabric is a deep purple, not blue. It's not iridescent, but it does change to more black depending on how the light hits it. I find the fabric so interesting with the color change and the crinkle texture.

• sheesh
    6 years ago

Annie, I think the first is a perfect choice. From the picture, it looks to be a good weight and drape for that pattern. The trim is just right.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked sheesh
  • sheesh
    6 years ago

Sure looks blue to me, too!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

spanish, the first fabric has some crispness too it. The teal border print has a very soft and silky hand to it.

I'm not so into the flutter sleeves. Years ago I made a dress with flutter sleeves out of a print. It was later I realized it looked a lot like Eunice from Carol Burnett show. That ended that!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's so funny, sheesh. On my screen it looks like a real royal purple. When I first tried to photograph the teal, it kept coming out really blue on my phone until I got the lighting just right. This picture of it looks royal blue to me and it's definitely not that.

• sheesh
    6 years ago

I love sewing, fine garments especially. I look forward to seeing your dress. It's going to be beautiful.

Tell me, Annie. When someone who doesn't know you sew compliments you on a garment you've made, do you say Thank you, or do you say you made it? I never say I made it unless asked where I bought it. Those who know I sew always ask Did you make that? about everything I wear, and that makes me happy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

sheesh, it depends -- sometimes I do say I made it, depending on who it is. I do like seeing the surprise on their face when they find out I did. :)

But dress sewing is getting much harder these days. We've had so many fabric stores disappear and mostly what is left is home decor stuff.

Fall must be coming as I'm getting that sewing bug again. Just this a.m. I was thinking about the drapes I had planned for my DR and never made...maybe it's time.

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

I think the kay unger pattern is gorgeous but oct in MA, will you be comfortable in sleeveless? It isn't really a style that looks great with a sweater or shrug.. and I find a wrap just isn't enough when it's cold (and who wants to spend every minute in a wrap-- especially if dancing)

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Funkyart
  • texanjana
    6 years ago

I love the first fabric and pattern, and I know it will look incredible since you are an expert seamstress, Annie.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked texanjana
  • eld6161
    6 years ago

I vote for the first fabric choice as well. You really have to post a picture of you in it.

No fair, if you don't ;)

Annie Deighnaugh thanked eld6161
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, funky...I was thinking that too. It's early October so it could be warm and nice, but even in the evening, I'll need a cover of some sort, and that collar isn't conducive to a fitted jacket or anything.

The other thing is I do like to dance some --- not a lot and not too wild -- but I do like a fuller skirt that's easier to move in. (Of course at DH's cousin's wedding I danced my fool head off as it was in a barn that was poorly heated and I was freezing if I wasn't moving!)

So I was thinking I could make a skirt with the border print and have it gently gather into a fitted yoke from the waist to the top of the hip, then make a top to go with it...

• joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

# 1......really pretty! Make both if you find a pattern for the teal fabric! The teal might be pretty as a dressy pants and tunic top outfit.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked joaniepoanie
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is a border print skirt that is pleated into the yoke...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Really like this skirt as it's not so full...gently gathered to the yoke...

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

The first fabric made with the Kay Unger pattern gets my vote. If it is cool have a nice shawl ready. Once you start dancing you will not feel the cold. Many women will be in sleeveless dresses, guaranteed! I can't wait to see it if that is what you choose.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Bonnie
  • suero
    6 years ago

This might look good with the border fabric

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, sue. It looks like that skirt may be cut on the bias, but IAC it's definitely flared which doesn't work with a border print...the skirt at the hem has to be quite straight for the border to work.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

Love that border fabric!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Yayagal
    6 years ago

For me it would be the first gorgeous fabric and first pattern. Heck most brides are wearing strapless so bare arms are fine.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Yayagal
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    6 years ago

I've been offline today. I've seen the RTW dress and it's in a fabric with less drape and more structure. Just make sure your fabric will hold its shape. I'm finally getting back into sewing after more than 15 years and my skills suck! Jealous of folks who can make something like this. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • cawaps
    6 years ago

I love the first fabric and think it would look amazing done in the Kay Unger pattern.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked cawaps
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Spanish, the fabric does have some structure and crispness to it...the teal one, not so much. Thanks!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

If I made the skirt with the fitted yoke, I'd probably make a simple top. I like this one with the princess lines and the vents. Probably make it a little longer so I don't end up with a "flesh belt".

• 3katz4me
    6 years ago

I think the first fabric and trim is beautiful. I can't imagine being such a talented seamstress! That's so impressive!!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked 3katz4me
  • OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

I absolutely love the first fabric made up in the Kay Unger pattern. I know you are a talented seamstress and think it will be beautiful. You also know what style will look good on your body type, so I would go forward with it.

Love the border print, and would maybe make a longer skirt or something similar with a lot of volume out of it.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked OutsidePlaying
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

How about (1st & 2nd from top down on right) a take on one of these tops with the fitted yoke skirt . Love the fitted yoke idea!

I want one!

Anyway, this is a supposed forecast.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked just_terrilynn
  • MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

I like them both. The first style will show off your (new) figure better! Not sure if the fabric will look as dressy, the fabric shown is very dressy and has some shimmer. I am bad an envisioning fabric that I look at close up and knowing how it will look on a garment.

I do like the skirt you showed done in the second fabric, too.

I envy your skills!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked MtnRdRedux
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

jterri, I like those little tops with the cap sleeves...they would help balance off my ample bosom. And the peplum is nice. I also like the neckline with the cutouts...show a little more skin, but not interfere with a supportive bra that I definitely need.

mtnrd, I'm debating on what to do as I think the border print fabric will be more comfortable to wear as the purple one is a little "crepey" in hand, though it is lovely and it does have a nice dressy sheen.

I think what I'll do is start working on muslins of each and see how it goes. I may get part way into one and decide it's really not my style.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I like a slight vintage flair but it's hard to find a quality vintage style. You are so talented with sewing and can make something really nice.

There is one brand, Zoe Vine of London... I sort of like because they put a spin on vintage inspiration with a bit of rushing or other to make for a nice comfortable garment. However, the only place in the states that I know of that sells that label is a store in Connecticut called Katia. I have never been but it's on Norwalk.

I must have non-constricting comfort. This is pretty! Zoe Vine.

StopStaring has a few nice looking vintage inspired items. Not sure of quality though. Might be good for inspirational ideas if you pass over the slu+¥ ones :)

Annie Deighnaugh thanked just_terrilynn
  • User
    6 years ago

Stop Staring is not good quality, to me. Cheap fabrics and poor craftsmanship.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked User
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Before I go through the effort of making something, I figured I'd look around. Went to Macy's and L&T today and what a disaster. The dresses are terrible. If retail is shrinking, they should look to the merchandise, not just blame it on amazon.

So then I said, let me shop my closet. This style really works well on me...the broader shoulders, the wrap front and wider skirt help balance my ample bosom and the nipping in at the waist gives me more of an hour glass shape. I also like the fuller skirt for dancing at the wedding as it moves nicer than a sheath style.

I have 2 dresses that might work. Both Ralph Lauren. One a print, one a solid navy. What say ye?

Close up of print:

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

You look great! I like the first one best.

Of course, I was also looking forward to Atelier Annie

Annie Deighnaugh thanked MtnRdRedux
  • eld6161
    6 years ago

The top one looks more royal blue on my monitor, but if you say it's navy, I like it even better.

I agree with Joanie. I think it is dressier than the second one, but both look equally good.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked eld6161
  • sheesh
    6 years ago

So the stash won't be shrinking, eh? I just did the same thing...shopped my closet for a wedding this weekend instead of sewing the dress I've been going to sew for two+ years now. I must be getting old and lazy. (Actually, I'm too chicken to cut my beautiful fabric! It has to be right.)

I prefer the darker blue dress to the print, also.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked sheesh
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm leaning toward the navy one as well. I think it'll work better for October...probably the print if it were a spring wedding. I think the navy is easier to accessorize as well...

Yeah, joanie, I'm fast, but not that fast! :)

Especially since I retired...I've gotten a lot more, shall we say, relaxed, about doing things. When I first left work, I was still pedal to the metal on everything we did. Right now I'm savoring the pleasure of putting together the album from our vacation. I ended up taking nearly 1,000 pics for just a week!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

sheesh, I was just thinking the same thing. As long as the fabric is intact, the dream is alive. Cut it and it's over.

I have a beautiful royal blue sari that DH brought back from india with a border woven in silver threads. It's so luscious. I have never had the heart to cut it.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

The solid navy would be my choice. It can be dressed up for a wedding. The print on the other dress is nice but more of a wear to dinner dress, IMO. Ralph Lauren dresses are great. I have two faux wrap sheath dresses that are so versatile.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Bonnie
  • Funkyart
    6 years ago

They look nice.. and I also prefer the blue. It will be fun to accessorize!

And bravo for finding something in your own closet!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Funkyart
  • OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

The solid is my choice for the wedding too. You look great and I agree it looks more appropriate for a fall wedding. I was looking forward to seeing the results of your sewing effort though with the beautiful fabric.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked OutsidePlaying
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    6 years ago

The Unger pattern is very beautiful and the deep purple fabric will be gorgeous made into that pattern. That gets my vote.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • amykath
    6 years ago

Maybe it is just the photo, but I really like the patterned dress and I usually always prefer solid. Both look great on you!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked amykath