SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
splaker

Where would you "plop" a redbud on this property?

splaker
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My understanding is that they like moist soils, grow about 25 feet wide and high within 30+ years and appreciate some PM sun... but will flower best in full sun. I am still deciding if I want to place one in the front yard or the backyard. If I go with the back, I have more options. I don't want to plant it over my septic field which is the large open area in the picture. I was thinking between the white pine and the birch and to the right of them. I still want to see the nice birch bark. However, I would then cut off views to the shrub line at the rear of the property where I just planted various shrubs including an autumn magic aronia, ninebark, serviceberry and arborvitea I don't want to cut off the views of these recent plantings either... An altogether different plan would be to plant it where there are three scraggly/ugly junipers I intend to cut this fall. The lot at this point slopes a fair (a few feet) bit so it is a drier spot. Also, I don't know how it will affect my septic field which begins just beyond this spot. The property line is just beyond the gray shed. You can make out the shrubs planted between the shed and the birch... in the 3rd pic, the junipers appear in the foreground. I was thinking to plant it just beyond the junipers (after removing them)so that the tree can be viewed from close to our deck).. But as I said, the septic field begins just beyond this and makes it's way in the direction of the large flower bed. Thoughts?

Comments (21)