SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmac161

Help choosing exterior vibe for our psuedo farmhouse

B Mac
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are right in the thick of building our first home and we are at a fork in the road in terms of the exterior.

In designing the home, we were inspired by farmhouses for the elevation of our house (single hung windows, steeply pitched main roof with a lower pitched porch roof, wrap around porch, etc.) but now we have to make a final decision on the "look" of the exterior.

I like how a farmhouse is welcoming and unpretentious. I don't, however, plan on making the interior at all farmhousey. ( Our interior trim and a lot of the flow of our house were inspired by this house designed by Sarah Susanka: https://www.facebook.com/SarahSusanka/photos/a.10150490554114539.393868.95254584538/10150490558609539/?type=3&theater . )

We're deciding between one of two options for the outside:

A ) Blue-gray with white windows sashes/grids

B) White with black window sashes/grids

Larger versions here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-Rc6czX/ .

My attempts to replicate our plan in my design program fell flat so you'll have to use this elevation plus your imagination a bit (our columns will be square, nice and thick, farmhouse-style, etc.)

I welcome gut reactions.

Here are my thoughts, for what they're worth: Option B is more quintessential farmhouse. Is that going to be weird to not have that aesthetic inside as well? Option A might be hard to find the right blue. We live in Oregon where there's plenty of gray in the sky so I want to avoid a gray house. However, blue can be BLUE if you're not careful. It also makes me a little nervous to not have a definitive exterior style. Blue farmhouses are rare but we're not doing craftsman columns or anything so it doesn't really fit in another bucket.

We will have a low stone trim all around our house to cover up the foundation, a bit like this brick:

Here's a blue one with stone at the base of the porch (obviously with craftsman columns):

Another blue with stone, though it's much more subtle because they didn't use it at the base of their porch and on their steps like we plan to.

A few other possibly relevant points:

- We much prefer to be timeless than trendy.

- There is a significant cost difference between the two options, so if you prefer one over the other, please say how much and why.

- Decisions are hard. Maybe there's an option C I'm missing? Obviously we're locked in at this point on lots of things (and we don't want shutters) but we are open to other trim suggestions. Currently we're planning on lap siding + board & batten on the gable ends but haven't thought much past that.

Thank you!

Comments (30)