SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 8 - 12 - 17

User
6 years ago

Robert Southey Quotes
English - Poet August 12, 1774 - March 21, 1843

No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth.
Robert Southey

The loss of a friend is like that of a limb; time may heal the anguish of the wound, but the loss cannot be repaired.
Robert Southey

All deception in the course of life is indeed nothing else but a lie reduced to practice, and falsehood passing from words into things.
Robert Southey

A kitten is in the animal world what a rosebud is in the garden.
Robert Southey

It is with words as with sunbeams - the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn.
Robert Southey

Never let a man imagine that he can pursue a good end by evil means, without sinning against his own soul. The evil effect on himself is certain.
Robert Southey

How little do they see what is, who frame their hasty judgments upon that which seems.
Robert Southey

Not where I breathe, but where I love, I live; Not where I love, but where I am, I die.
Robert Southey

Order is the sanity of the mind, the health of the body, the peace of the city, the security of the state. Like beams in a house or bones to a body, so is order to all things.
Robert Southey

It has been more wittily than charitably said that hell is paved with good intentions; they have their place in heaven also.
Robert Southey

To a resolute mind, wishing to do is the first step toward doing. But if we do not wish to do a thing it becomes impossible.
Robert Southey

If you would be pungent, be brief; for it is with words as with sunbeams - the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn.
Robert Southey

What will not woman, gentle woman dare; when strong affection stirs her spirit up?
Robert Southey

Affliction is not sent in vain, young man, from that good God, who chastens whom he loves.
Robert Southey

Live as long as you may, the first twenty years are the longest half of your life.
Robert Southey

They sin who tell us Love can die: with Life all other passions fly, all others are but vanity.
Robert Southey

Helena Blavatsky Quotes
Russian - Author August 12, 1831 - May 8, 1891

The Path that leadeth on is lighted by one fire - the light of daring burning in the heart. The more one dares, the more he shall obtain.
Helena Blavatsky

It is, then, by those shadows of the hoary Past and their fantastic silhouettes on the external screen of every religion and philosophy, that we can, by checking them as we go along, and comparing them, trace out finally the body that produced them.
Helena Blavatsky

The Universe is worked and guided from within outwards.
Helena Blavatsky

It is on the acceptance or rejection of the theory of the Unity of all in Nature, in its ultimate Essence, that mainly rests the belief or unbelief in the existence around us of other conscious beings besides the Spirits of the Dead.
Helena Blavatsky

Yet, the Universe is real enough to the conscious beings in it, which are as unreal as it is itself.
Helena Blavatsky

The whole order of nature evinces a progressive march towards a higher life.
Helena Blavatsky

Everything in the Universe, throughout all its kingdoms, is conscious: i.e., endowed with a consciousness of its own kind and on its own plane of perception.
Helena Blavatsky

Even in our day, science suspects beyond the Polar seas, at the very circle of the Arctic Pole, the existence of a sea which never freezes and a continent which is ever green.
Helena Blavatsky

The Secret Doctrine is the common property of the countless millions of men born under various climates, in times with which History refuses to deal, and to which esoteric teachings assign dates incompatible with the theories of Geology and Anthropology.
Helena Blavatsky

The Universe is the periodical manifestation of this unknown Absolute Essence.
Helena Blavatsky

We see that every external motion, act, gesture, whether voluntary or mechanical, organic or mental, is produced and preceded by internal feeling or emotion, will or volition, and thought or mind.
Helena Blavatsky

Becoming is the mode of activity of the uncreate deity.
Helena Blavatsky

As no outward motion or change, when normal, in man's external body can take place unless provoked by an inward impulse, given through one of the three functions named, so with the external or manifested Universe.
Helena Blavatsky

To act wisely when the time for action comes, to wait patiently when it is time for repose, put man in accord with the tides. Ignorance of this law results in periods of unreasoning enthusiasm on the one hand, and depression on the other.
Helena Blavatsky

The chief difficulty which prevents men of science from believing in divine as well as in nature Spirits is their materialism.
Helena Blavatsky

If coming events are said to cast their shadows before, past events cannot fall to leave their impress behind them.
Helena Blavatsky

Everything that is, was, and will be, eternally IS, even the countless forms, which are finite and perishable only in their objective, not in their ideal Form.
Helena Blavatsky

The Occultists, however, know that the traditions of Esoteric Philosophy must be the right ones, simply because they are the most logical, and reconcile every difficulty.
Helena Blavatsky

But the first differentiation of its reflection in the manifested World is purely Spiritual, and the Beings generated in it are not endowed with a consciousness that has any relation to the one we conceive of.
Helena Blavatsky

Katharine Lee Bates Quotes
American - Author August 12, 1859 - March 26, 1929

Love planted a rose, and the world turned sweet.
Katharine Lee Bates

Surely martyrs, irrespective of the special phase of the divine idea for which they gladly give up their bodies to torture and to death, are the truest heroes of history.
Katharine Lee Bates

The habit of begging, that plague of tourist resorts, is an incessant nuisance on the Alhambra hill.
Katharine Lee Bates

It is the hour to rend thy chains, the blossom time of souls.
Katharine Lee Bates

A taste for the best reading is not cultivated in Spanish girls, even where the treasures of that great Castilian literature are accessible to them.
Katharine Lee Bates

Spanish children are too often ill-cared for, but despite the abuses of ignorant motherhood and fatherhood, such vivid, vivacious, bewitching little people as they are!
Katharine Lee Bates

The life of Liverpool is commerce; it is a city of warehouses and shops.
Katharine Lee Bates

Warwick Castle, built of the very centuries, cannot be expected to alter with time's 'brief hours and weeks' - at least, with so few of them as fall to one poor mortal's lot. From visit to visit, I find it as unchanged as the multiplication table.
Katharine Lee Bates

Shakespeare's frequent horseback journeys from London to Stratford, and from Stratford to London, must have made him familiar with the county of Oxfordshire.
Katharine Lee Bates

Edith Hamilton Quotes
American - Writer August 12, 1867 - May 31, 1963

When the mind withdraws into itself and dispenses with facts it makes only chaos.
Edith Hamilton

Faith is not belief. Belief is passive. Faith is active.
Edith Hamilton

The fullness of life is in the hazards of life.
Edith Hamilton

The modern minds in each generation are the critics who preserve us from a petrifying world, who will not leave us to walk undisturbed in the ways of our fathers.
Edith Hamilton

A people's literature is the great textbook for real knowledge of them. The writings of the day show the quality of the people as no historical reconstruction can.
Edith Hamilton

When the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again.
Edith Hamilton

To be able to be caught up into the world of thought - that is being educated.
Edith Hamilton

Great art is the expression of a solution of the conflict between the demands of the world without and that within.
Edith Hamilton

None but a poet can write a tragedy. For tragedy is nothing less than pain transmuted into exaltation by the alchemy of poetry.
Edith Hamilton

Mind and spirit together make up that which separates us from the rest of the animal world, that which enables a man to know the truth and that which enables him to die for the truth.
Edith Hamilton

Theories that go counter to the facts of human nature are foredoomed.
Edith Hamilton

Mary Roberts Rinehart Quotes
American - Novelist August 12, 1876 - September 22, 1958

I never saw a lawyer yet who would admit he was making money.
Mary Roberts Rinehart

A little work, a little sleep, a little love and it's all over.
Mary Roberts Rinehart

It's the safety valve of middle life, and the solace of age.
Mary Roberts Rinehart

The writing career is not a romantic one. The writer's life may be colorful, but his work itself is rather drab.
Mary Roberts Rinehart

Women are like dogs really. They love like dogs, a little insistently. And they like to fetch and carry and come back wistfully after hard words, and learn rather easily to carry a basket.
Mary Roberts Rinehart

I hate those men who would send into war youth to fight and die for them; the pride and cowardice of those old men, making their wars that boys must die.
Mary Roberts Rinehart

Cecil B. DeMille Quotes
American - Producer August 12, 1881 - January 21, 1959

There can be no liberty without the law.
Cecil B. DeMille

The person who makes a success of living is the one who sees his goal steadily and aims for it unswervingly.
Cecil B. DeMille

What I have crossed out I didn't like. What I haven't crossed out I'm dissatisfied with.
Cecil B. DeMille

Creation is a drug I can't do without.
Cecil B. DeMille

It is impossible for us to break the law. We can only break ourselves against the law.
Cecil B. DeMille

Give me any two pages of the Bible and I'll give you a picture.
Cecil B. DeMille

Man has made 32 million laws since the Commandments were handed down to Moses on Mount Sinai... but he has never improved on God's law.
Cecil B. DeMille

I win my awards at the box office.
Cecil B. DeMille

As a boy, I used to look upon the hieroglyphics as so many wonderful pictures.
Cecil B. DeMille

The public is always right.
Cecil B. DeMille

Every time I make a picture the critics' estimate of American public taste goes down ten percent.
Cecil B. DeMille

Erwin Schrodinger Quotes
Austrian - Scientist August 12, 1887 - January 4, 1961

What we observe as material bodies and forces are nothing but shapes and variations in the structure of space.
Erwin Schrodinger

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Erwin Schrodinger

The scientist only imposes two things, namely truth and sincerity, imposes them upon himself and upon other scientists.
Erwin Schrodinger

The verbal interpretation, on the other hand, i.e. the metaphysics of quantum physics, is on far less solid ground. In fact, in more than forty years physicists have not been able to provide a clear metaphysical model.
Erwin Schrodinger

Quantum physics thus reveals a basic oneness of the universe.
Erwin Schrodinger

An animal that embarks on forming states without greatly restricting egoism will perish.
Erwin Schrodinger

A careful analysis of the process of observation in atomic physics has shown that the subatomic particles have no meaning as isolated entities, but can only be understood as interconnections between the preparation of an experiment and the subsequent measurement.
Erwin Schrodinger

For a solitary animal egoism is a virtue that tends to preserve and improve the species: in any kind of community it becomes a destructive vice.
Erwin Schrodinger

The mathematical framework of quantum theory has passed countless successful tests and is now universally accepted as a consistent and accurate description of all atomic phenomena.
Erwin Schrodinger

The world is given to me only once, not one existing and one perceived. Subject and object are only one. The barrier between them cannot be said to have broken down as a result of recent experience in the physical sciences, for this barrier does not exist.
Erwin Schrodinger

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions