SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 12 - 12 - 17

User
6 years ago

Elizabeth Caty Stanton Quotes
American - Activist December 12, 1815 - October 26, 1902

The strongest reason for giving woman all the opportunities for higher education, for the full development of her faculties, her forces of mind and body... is the solitude and personal responsibility of her own individual life.
Elizabeth Caty Stanton

There would be more sense in insisting on man's limitations because he cannot be a mother than on a woman's because she can be.
Elizabeth Caty Stanton

The more I think on the present condition of woman, the more am I oppressed with the reality of their degradation.
Elizabeth Caty Stanton

To have drunkards, idiots, horse-racing, rumselling rowdies, ignorant foreigners, and silly boys fully recognized, while we ourselves are thrust out from all the rights that belong to citizens, it is too grossly insulting to... be longer quietly submitted to.
Elizabeth Caty Stanton

The God of justice is with us, and our word, our work - our prayer for freedom will not, cannot be in vain.
Elizabeth Caty Stanton

The right is ours. Have it we must. Use it we will.
Elizabeth Caty Stanton

Edvard Munch Quotes
Norwegian - Artist December 12, 1863 - January 23, 1944

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life.
Edvard Munch

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.
Edvard Munch

For as long as I can remember I have suffered from a deep feeling of anxiety which I have tried to express in my art.
Edvard Munch

The colors live a remarkable life of their own after they have been applied to the canvas.
Edvard Munch

Some colors reconcile themselves to one another, others just clash.
Edvard Munch

Death is pitch-dark, but colors are light. To be a painter, one must work with rays of light.
Edvard Munch

Without anxiety and illness I should have been like a ship without a rudder.
Edvard Munch

A person himself believes that all the other portraits are good likenesses except the one of himself.
Edvard Munch

It was always my intention that The Frieze should be housed in a room which would provide a suitable architectural frame for it.
Edvard Munch

Painting picture by picture, I followed the impressions my eye took in at heightened moments. I painted only memories, adding nothing, no details that I did not see. Hence the simplicity of the paintings, their emptiness.
Edvard Munch

Nature is not only all that is visible to the eye... it also includes the inner pictures of the soul.
Edvard Munch

I find it difficult to imagine an afterlife, such as Christians, or at any rate many religious people, conceive it, believing that the conversations with relatives and friends interrupted here on earth will be continued in the hereafter.
Edvard Munch

Youth must go ahead and prosper. These young painters are all very talented people, but they all paint frescoes.
Edvard Munch

When I paint a person, his enemies always find the portrait a good likeness.
Edvard Munch

No longer shall I paint interiors with men reading and women knitting. I will paint living people who breathe and feel and suffer and love.
Edvard Munch

I have no fear of photography as long as it cannot be used in heaven and in hell.
Edvard Munch

Disease, insanity, and death were the angels that attended my cradle, and since then have followed me throughout my life.
Edvard Munch

The notes I have made are not a diary in the ordinary sense, but partly lengthy records of my spiritual experiences, and partly poems in prose.
Edvard Munch

I painted the picture, and in the colors the rhythm of the music quivers. I painted the colors I saw.
Edvard Munch

To die is as if one's eyes had been put out and one cannot see anything any more. Perhaps it is like being shut in a cellar. One is abandoned by all. They have slammed the door and are gone. One does not see anything and notices only the damp smell of putrefaction.
Edvard Munch

One can easily tell that the creator of the paintings in the Sistine Chapel was above all a sculptor.
Edvard Munch

Oil-painting is a developed technique. Why go backwards?
Edvard Munch

In my childhood I always felt that I was treated unjustly, without a mother, sick, and with the threat of punishment in Hell hanging over my head.
Edvard Munch

In common with Michelangelo and Rembrandt I am more interested in the line, its rise and fall, than in color.
Edvard Munch

By painting colors and lines and forms seen in quickened mood I was seeking to make this mood vibrate as a phonograph does. This was the origin of the paintings in The Frieze of Life.
Edvard Munch

The rich man who gives, steals twice over. First he steals the money and then the hearts of men.
Edvard Munch

I build a kind of wall between myself and t he model so that I can paint in peace behind it. Otherwise, she might say something that confuses and distracts me.
Edvard Munch

I learned early about the misery and dangers of life, and about the afterlife, about the external punishment which awaited the children of sin in Hell.
Edvard Munch

This kind of painting with its large frames is a bourgeois drawing-room art. It is an art dealer's art-and that came in after the civil wars following the French Revolution.
Edvard Munch

I should have considered it wrong to have finished the Frieze before the room for its accommodation and the funds for its completion were available.
Edvard Munch

Lillian Smith Quotes
American - Novelist December 12, 1897 - September 28, 1966

The human heart dares not stay away too long from that which hurt it most. There is a return journey to anguish that few of us are released from making.
Lillian Smith

When you stop learning, stop listening, stop looking and asking questions, always new questions, then it is time to die.
Lillian Smith

Education is a private matter between the person and the world of knowledge and experience, and has little to do with school or college.
Lillian Smith

Man, born of woman, has found it a hard thing to forgive her for giving him birth. The patriarchal protest against the ancient matriarch has borne strange fruit through the years.
Lillian Smith

Rich folks always talk hard times.
Lillian Smith

To believe in something not yet proved and to underwrite it with our lives: it is the only way we can leave the future open.
Lillian Smith

We need not feel ashamed of flirting with the zodiac. The zodiac is well worth flirting with.
Lillian Smith

Faith and doubt both are needed - not as antagonists, but working side by side to take us around the unknown curve.
Lillian Smith

The lack of belief is a defect that ought to be concealed when it cannot be overcome.
Lillian Smith

Patrick O'Brian Quotes
English - Novelist December 12, 1914 - January 2, 2000

You can't be happy if you're not tolerably happy with yourself. The addition of friends adds immeasurably to life.
Patrick O'Brian

The function of the novel is the exploration of the human condition. Really, that's what it's all about.
Patrick O'Brian

In a day when, if you insulted a man it might cost you your life, you were probably more civil.
Patrick O'Brian

I have 60 years of reading to draw upon: naval memoirs, dispatches, the Naval Chronicles, family letters.
Patrick O'Brian

In my case, I write in the past because I'm not really part of the present. I have nothing valid to say about anything current, though I have something to say about what existed then.
Patrick O'Brian

Since I grew up, I have never deliberately used any technique at all other than the physical shaping of my tale so that it more or less resembles what has been thought of as a novel for these last two hundred years.
Patrick O'Brian

My wife and I have spent most of our lives in France, and we are both pretty well bilingual, my wife more purely than I, since as a little girl she went to school in French Switzerland.
Patrick O'Brian

A freewheeling mind can conceive a virtually infinite number of sequences, but just how that mind picks out and stores those that may perhaps be used later to deal with a given tension, a given situation, is far beyond my understanding.
Patrick O'Brian

I have never written for an audience. On the other hand I do not write merely to please myself.
Patrick O'Brian

I very much dislike being interviewed by the kind of journalist who tries to dig into your private life.
Patrick O'Brian

I've never set out to seduce my reader. I don't see him at all clearly.
Patrick O'Brian

About my books, that's all that I think the public has, in its normal way, to know. My private life is, by definition, private.
Patrick O'Brian

Take a newspaper account of Waterloo or Trafalgar, with all the small advertisements: it seems much more real than reading about it in a history book.
Patrick O'Brian

When you're taking a fence on a horse, you don't think much; your body does all the thinking, and you're over or you're not over. It's much the same when you are doing a tricky thing with a pen. There are times when I'm writing very, very fast.
Patrick O'Brian

Likings arise when one has no earthly reason for liking - the most wildly improbable marriages and uncommon friendship.
Patrick O'Brian

The first interviews I gave were entirely unpleasant. You have people trying to trip you up with impolite questions that have nothing to do with the books. It's simply vulgar curiosity, and I won't have it.
Patrick O'Brian

On a ship, everything is enclosed: the people are right on top of each other and can't get up and walk away.
Patrick O'Brian

Og Mandino Quotes
American - Author December 12, 1923 - September 3, 1996

Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.
Og Mandino

Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later.
Og Mandino

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.
Og Mandino

Treasure the love you receive above all. It will survive long after your good health has vanished.
Og Mandino

Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness and understanding you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again.
Og Mandino

Always render more and better service than is expected of you, no matter what your task may be.
Og Mandino

Take the attitude of a student, never be too big to ask questions, never know too much to learn something new.
Og Mandino

Always seek out the seed of triumph in every adversity.
Og Mandino

I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand. Henceforth will I apply ALL my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I will strain my potential until it cries for mercy.
Og Mandino

Tomorrow is only found in the calendar of fools.
Og Mandino

There is an immeasurable distance between late and too late.
Og Mandino

Do all things with love.
Og Mandino

Work as though you would live forever, and live as though you would die today. Go another mile!
Og Mandino

Obstacles are necessary for success because in selling, as in all careers of importance, victory comes only after many struggles and countless defeats.
Og Mandino

Sound character provides the power with which a person may ride the emergencies of life instead of being overwhelmed by them. Failure is... the highway to success.
Og Mandino

You never know what events are going to transpire to get you home.
Og Mandino

The person who knows one thing and does it better than anyone else, even if it only be the art of raising lentils, receives the crown he merits. If he raises all his energy to that end, he is a benefactor of mankind and its rewarded as such.
Og Mandino

To do anything truly worth doing, I must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger, but jump in with gusto and scramble through as well as I can.
Og Mandino

I seek constantly to improve my manners and graces, for they are the sugar to which all are attracted.
Og Mandino

To be always intending to make a new and better life but never to find time to set about it is as to put off eating and drinking and sleeping from one day to the next until you're dead.
Og Mandino

It is those who concentrates on but one thing at a time who advance in this world. The great man or woman is the one who never steps outside his or her specialty or foolishly dissipates his or her individuality.
Og Mandino

I will form good habits and become their slave. And how will I accomplish this difficult feat? Through these scrolls it will be done, for each scroll contains a principle which will drive a bad habit from my life and replace it with one which will bring me closer to success.
Og Mandino

I have never heard anything about the resolutions of the apostles, but a good deal about their acts.
Og Mandino

Comment (1)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional
More Discussions