SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjerin

Trip Report

sjerin
6 years ago

Well, we're back from our Alaska Cruise and overall it was a nice experience. I had a just a little bit of sea sickness the first day and the last since we were out in open water, but the little watch gadget I previously described did the trick. It's probably just a distraction, but I don't care why it worked. :) The crew and staff were so very polite and pleasant; most of them seemed to be from Indonesia and put on a dance show on one of the last nights that I had to miss--darn. We were astounded at how much storage we were given in our cabin and dh especially appreciated the balcony. All in all, the accommodations were great. The food was delicious and though they didn't serve huge portions, it was still too much and probably too rich for me. I didn't appreciate the constant "opportunities" to buy things, especially jewelry. (Friend told me someone in the know told her the jewelry stores in port are also owned by the cruise lines.)

We visited Ketchikan where we took a little nature walk and observed brown bears eating salmon with bald eagles looking on; Juneau where we took a boat to see humpbacks--one even breached in front of us which was such a thrill!--and visited Mendenhall Glacier (beautiful;) then Skagway where we took a small-gauge train up the side of a mountain--eek!--so hard for me with my fear of heights. The ports were beautifully picturesque as we slipped into port. It's crazy how smoothly and quickly the ship travels.

We spent one full day in Glacier Bay, with a naturalist on board to give a little commentary. According to dh, this was the best day of all and the sights were spectacular. Unfortunately, this was the day I obtained the norovirus, as did sixty of my shipmates. So hubby would run out to the decks then back to me to see how I was doing. The medical center was able to give me something to help the vomiting stop, after which I slept from then on and the next day, with small breaks in between. Four other ships reported noro, (our ship had been cleared of a previous outbreak a couple days before,) and apparently some hotels in Juneau were also reporting cases of the virus. Here it is almost a week later and I'm still tired and taking a daily nap.

I'm glad we went and I so enjoyed having our friends there to share it with us. I'm not sure I'd opt to cruise again though most likely the illness colored my overall feeling for the experience. They certainly have the whole thing well planned and things ran perfectly and without a hitch. I would have liked to have seen the captain who gave us daily updates on schedule, wildlife sightings (one day there were gray whales near the ship,) and virus updates, but we were visiting a different restaurant on the day he gave a toast during dinner. It would have been nice to put a face to the voice I came to know so well. :)

Anyone else want to share their memories of a cruise?

Comments (5)