SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elisabeth_clark

Does a low albumin/globulin ratio always mean FIP in cats?

Elisabeth Clark
6 years ago

One horrible Thursday my beloved Rigby threw up 4 times in one day and just acted lethargic. A trip to the vet resulted in a very scary FIP diagnosis by Friday AM (the vet kept him overnight). At the vet Rigby had a fever and had fluid in his abdomen. The vet treated him with antibiotics. He also has the Herpes Virus and can't have cortisone/prednisone so none were used.

Rigby responded very well. By Saturday he was doing much better and was sent home with us. I got him to eat and by the end of the weekend he was acting normal. A Monday AM trip back to the vet resulted in an ultrasound and vet palpatations...the vet said all the fluid in his abdomen was gone but she still thinks he has FIP due to his albumin/globulin ratio of .4.

He has been home 2 weeks now and is acting totally normal...eats and plays more than ever and is of course still his super cuddly self. He has no signs of any other issues.

I've read a lot on FIP and I know it's hard to diagnose. Right now the only thing he has is the albumin/globulin ratio of .4. The rest of his blood work is normal. Does the marker verify for sure that he has FIP? Of course I'm looking for hope....

Comments (3)