SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kamereone

Online/Catalog Retailers - who's good, who to avoid?

kamereone
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Was just flipping through an old post ("Websites that make you cringe" - link at end) and it left this neophyte feeling like there's a secret list of which retailers to hail as godly, and which to mock.

Is there such a list of the good, the bad, and the ugly, or perhaps another thread discussing it? Would love to know what sort of criteria retailers are judged against to determine quality. I would assume selling invasives or diseased plants is a no-no. What else should one look out for when deciding who to purchase from?

I'll admit I get some of the catalogs/emails from companies likely topping the "ugly" list (Michigan Bulb seems to be universally hated around here, not sure why?) but so far I use them for window shopping and ideas, then do research, then purchase plants and seed locally.

(I personally would love to see websites/catalogs that can trace the "bloodline" of their plants; where it originates from, who created the cultivar, or when & where a "wild/open pollinated" specimen was collected to be propagated for sale, and how it has been propagated since...)

link to thread mentioned above: http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3258754/websites-that-make-you-cringe?n=44

Comments (19)

Sponsored