SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Saw the new Waterworks kitchen catalog online today...

Anglophilia
4 years ago

I'm not a Waterworks customer (WAY too pricey for me), but they do some lovely things. Today I got an email from them with their new online catalog included. I think, as a very high end company, are probably a good compass of upcoming trends in kitchens. Yes, it will start with the high end, but it won't be many years until we see at least some of these things in Big Box stores for the mass market.

I had not been aware that Waterworks was now also selling kitchen cabinets. I must admit to being a bit shocked by the new styles they are showing - no prices but I'm sure they are in the stratosphere. Thank you, I would not want them at ANY price!

When it comes to kitchen and bathrooms, I like simplicity. I like it not only because both are "busy" rooms with a lot going on in a small space, but also for easy clean-ability. Both rooms get dirty and can smell if dirty. Both must be cleaned far more regularly than any other rooms in the house, and it's not just a quick run-over with the vacuum and the Swifter Duster. These kitchens will be a cleaning nightmare!

One new cabinet collection is their Pullman line. They apply inset metalwork to each cabinet. Knobs and handles are "integrated" into this metal strapping. The metal comes in several finishes, but the UNlacquered polished brass is the one that got me. The only mistake I made in my kitchen remodeling was to put in unlacquered polished brass pulls on my cabinets. This winter, each week my yardman took off a few (there are 31 in my kitchen), polished them and then put them back; some are already starting to tarnish again. I'm sure it's fumes from my furnace and my gas stove - who knows. I do know that if I have time, I will have my grandson removed all 31 before we leave on vacation, and will take them to the local brass shop and have them polished and lacquered.

Just imagine trying to polish that inset strapping and not ruin the cabinet finish!

Next surprise was there attempt to try to get people to replace their Shaker doors with doors that are quite elaborate. Here are two:

Just imagine trying to keep all those grooves clean! WAY too much going on here.

They have embraced the wood slab doors but have added some hardware that ill be dirty all the time, and difficult to use with a wet hand.

The next ones take the prize for requiring full-time help to keep the kitchen clean.

Again, polished brass is unlacquered. Insanity!

When kitchens became a "fashion" item instead of just standard and classic, we started down a very slippery slope. We all know how insane clothes are in the Paris and ultra-high-end designer collections of clothing, but now kitchens. What's next? Pave diamonds on the bands?

I won't repost that insane faucet they did a couple of years ago, that looked like it belongs in a factory, with wheels for handles for each temp - all starting at $10,000...

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES