SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenpulloutlover

Kitchen Remodel Drama and Heartbreak

Buddy Blanker
6 years ago

Dear Houzz Kitchen Forum

Summary:

Worked for months to design what we wanted. Got the cabinet company engineer's kitchen design instead.

Please let me know your thoughts and what kind of recourse and options I may have.

Long and Drama filled details:

We worked with a designer at a custom kitchen company for several months to get the layout we wanted. They have been in business for many years. This is my first custom remodel ever, so I am a novice on the process.

While exploring options for cabinets and accessories, I fell in love with the peanut shaped blind corner pull out cabinet organizers like this-- https://www.hafele.com/us/en/product/lemans-ii-set-for-blind-corner-cabinets/000000bb000367d200030023. And I do mean I fell in love. I wanted one--badly. I love how it pulls all the way out of the cabinet. I love how each shelf moves separately. I lust after the ability to reach my stuff without crawling on my hands and knees on a hard tile floor. I did online research here and elsewhere on other peoples experiences with these. Many people who had the largest unit available really loved them--the smaller units not so much. I decided I wanted the big one. I discussed this our kitchen designer. She expressed her strong preference for lazy susans based on cost and efficient space utilization. I considered her recommendations for a few days but decided I really wanted the peanut pull out since my old kitchen had a lazy susan and I did not really like it. Our designer measured, and there is enough physical space in our kitchen for the large unit. She specified the largest unit available in our production drawings which we signed off on. I have a copy of these drawings.

Our cabinets arrived and were installed. The installer brought out a peanuty pull out but told me he could not install it because the unit shipped wasn't correctly handed--there is a left and right handed version. My designer told me they would re-order the correct one. We also caught many other mistakes and wrong products during the construction and install. We were not happy that there seemed to be no one other than us overseeing the project. As mentioned, we are not experts and we wondered what other mistakes we could be missing. After the granite was installed, I found out.

I checked one day inside the cabinet where the "wrong-handed" uninstalled peanut pull out parts were. I saw on the paperwork that it was actully the SMALLEST peanut pull out made. I thought that was strange and wondered why. I took some measurements and looked the organizer specs up again on line. The interior of the cabinet has way more room than needed to house a large unit, but the OPENING where the peanutty thing needs to exit the cabinet during pull out is too small to accomodate anything other than the smallest unit made.

In a panic, I called the designer. She checked further and told me during their final design review their engineer decided that a large unit wasted too much space so he decreased the space allowed for my unit and added it to an adjacent drawer and cabinet. We were not consulted about this so that WE could decide. They built the cabinets based on his changes. Our designer brought out her manager but since the granite is installed, it is a major deal to fix. The manager also made more unwanted remarks on the merits of a lazy susan. I have researched other organizer alternatives and only the smallest units of any kind ,including magic corners and roll out style,from any company will fit thru the opening. We now have a huge black hole blind corner cabinet where only a puny and out of proportion organizer will fit.

I am heartbroken. I know it is superficial and seems silly, but I really wanted that organizer and I tried to do my homework in the design process to make sure I got it. The company has reluctantly offered to pull up the granite and remake the cabinet. If the granite cracks during lifting--which is a real possibilty--they will replace the granite in that area only, not our island and wet bar with matching granite. We selected consectively cut slabs as advised by our designer when we were shopping for granite at the granite distributor the cabinet company recommended, and the granite looks amazing. The cabinets actually look good too on the outside, they just don't have the functionality I craved. I am worried new granite will not match as well if we need to replace it. Also, a remake will result in one big cabinet. The company is not willing to explore options on using any residual space with a narrow pull out spice rack or similar item--just making the blind corner cabinet even bigger so the big peanut pull out will fit. This would look ok appearance wise, but would waste even more space. I think they are clearly trying to pressure me to accept the cabinets as is. This makes a great deal of sense practically, but I am so disappointed.

My spouse said to have them replace the cabinet if I want, but his preference would be to just keep everything as is and change the organizer. The disarray and disruption from remodeling has really affected him more than I anticipated since he has a very stressful job. He also pointed out that they may make additional and more serious mistakes. Based on their performance to date, that is a very real possibility also.

If you have spent the time reading my long diatribe, thank you. I would appreciate hearing any ideas, options, thoughts and commiserations you have. I know this is not a true tragedy in the grand scheme of life, but I put a lot of effort in this remodel and I am sad.

Comments (20)