SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_28510257

j4c11's Impromptu Late Summer Overseed

User
6 years ago

I was watching the news this evening and, while listening to the weather segment, it came to me that we're about to have a period of weather that's perfect for seeding cool season grasses.

Of course the weather forecast could be wrong, it normally is, but it seems like too good an opportunity to pass up. Since I was planning on doing the strip of lawn along my driveway with Midnight this fall, I put on my shoes, grabbed my mower and started scalping.

Ran across it twice with my verticutter, cleaned up the thatch and applied Midnight KBG seed at about 4lbs/thousand. The whole strip is about 1,000 sq ft.

Once I was done seeding, grabbed my blower and blew all the thatch/clippings back on top of the seed. It was already dark by now.

Finished about 30 minutes ago. So at this point:

- The whole thing is a waste and I wasted $20 worth of seed and 1 hour of labor

or

- The bluegrass begins to germinate mid-late august and I'm a month ahead with my bluegrass.

Seems like good risk/reward to me. Let's see what happens. Either way I'll have plenty of time to do another round or patch up any issues.

I finished about 30 minutes ago and I hear thunder in the distance. Come on rain!

Comments (33)

• Joe BigBlue
    6 years ago

I dig it.

The small patches I have to fill in I was considering the same because the highest its going to be in NNJ the next 10 days is around 82.....I was thinking I could get away with it.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Go for it. Seeding time for NJ is about mid-August, close enough.

• reeljake
    6 years ago

A month early is just right where I come from

• Joe BigBlue
    6 years ago

Did you put any starter fertilizer on the seed? Did you rake the seed into the soil before putting the thatch on top?

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Did you put any starter fertilizer on the seed?

No. I applied a bunch of poly coated urea to the area a couple weeks ago and that should be sufficient as a N source for the time being. I will supplement with triple super phosphate this evening.

Did you rake the seed into the soil before putting the thatch on top?

No, that's not part of my typical seeding process. Once I run the verticutter and expose the bare soil there's full seed to soil contact, and the thatch on top takes care of retaining moisture.

• mishmosh
    6 years ago

Saving your scalped cuttings for mulch is pure genius!

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

And the best part is you always have exactly enough to cover the area :-)

• Joe BigBlue
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Would covering with grass clippings be just as good?

(Obviously mowing first, then seeding....)

• owlnsr
    6 years ago

Be careful with disease. It will still be hot and the constant moisture will make the young plants vulnerable. This is my lesson learned from last August when I wanted to get a head start that ended up putting me three steps back.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Joe

Grass clippings will work. But I would recommend running a dethatcher to expose the soil, otherwise the seed will sit on top of the thatch.

@owlnsr

I know it, mine had the same fate. It's a gamble for sure, but I'm well stocked on fungicide and if it doesn't work out I'll know by mid-September, just in time for normal seeding time.

• Joe BigBlue
    6 years ago

jc-

I'm going to de-thatch today (my two hands and a rake)...

I think I'll seed my small patches on Friday. That'll give me 2 weeks before vacation to see if the grass took. If it doesn't, I'll just redo them 1st week of September.

owlnsr-

For the patches I'm filling in, which are small, I've already had 2 applications of Bayer fungus control, and will probably apply one more in 2 weeks. Hopefully that will prevent any onset of disease.

jc-

Sorry to highjack your thread!

• tarheelsol
    6 years ago

j4c11, Truly wish you were my neighbor. I would gladly trade you many, many tomatoes for the use of your verticutter! You are an inspiration!

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Haha, in that case I wish you were my neighbor too, the squirrels ate most of my tomatoes .

But wait, there's a manual option!

I used one of those first year I moved in. It was brutal.

• tarheelsol
    6 years ago

Yes, but at least I am in good shape! Raking weeds is no day at the wimpy gym.

• Lisa
    6 years ago

You guys are making me anxious to get back to Pittsburgh Lol it's been 7 days thus far since I've been there and put down Bayer granular fungicide before I left it's probably so long, If you don't hear from me Friday when I get back to the burgh, I had a heart attack from looking at my lawn if it's worse Lol right now only view is this

• Joe BigBlue
    6 years ago

My seed (KBG) and penn mulch went down today in about a dozen 1 square foot patches on the front lawn.

I'll be misting them a few times daily for the next 2 weeks.

Temps are not supposed to get higher than mid 80's except next Wed. up to 85....

Let's see what happens!

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That sounds like perfect timing Joe. Should turn out great. If you're keeping existing grass around the spots constantly wet some fungicide may be a good idea.

• Joe BigBlue
    6 years ago

Thanks jc-

Should I keep the fungicide away from the grass seed?

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nope, apply to the seeded spots as well. It will help with damping off and other fungal diseases specific to newly seeded grass.

Most of the coated seed on the market contains fungicide in the coating.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I checked the seed underneath the thatch cover, I just couldn't stand it lol. It is in the radicle emergence stage. Should start seeing green shoots in a few days.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bluegrass is starting to poke through here and there. Got a stretch of 90s coming up.

• Joe BigBlue
    6 years ago

jc-

How's it coming along?

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Painfully slow. Very little germination thus far. I am starting to wonder if maybe my pre-emergent has not yet worn off. I do see little baby grass sticking out here and there, but it's not really progressing. Then again, we've had a week in the low 90s, so that may have something to do with it. I'm going to keep watering up to the 3 week mark and see what happens.

• Joe BigBlue
    6 years ago

So for me, it's been 2 weeks since I patched up some spots with strictly KBG.

It's small baby grass at this point, and I'll be away this week. Temps are only going to be in the 70's. I'll see how they are when I get back. Depending on how my Labor Day dethatching goes, I might just sacrifice those spots in order to overseed the whole lawn.

I am pretty sure I am going to dredge up a mountain of thatch....who knows how much actual grass will be left.....

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Joe, I'm sure you already know this, but be sure to scalp before dethatching.

I'm going to call this a complete failure, no germination at 3 weeks in so I'm pretty sure the pre-emergent is still doing its job. Actually, there's some right at one end of the area where I remember my sprayer was running low so I sprayed more lightly. So at this point, I'm going to begin spraying glyphosate and going to core aerate heavily to break the pre-emergent barrier. Then I'm going to seed again in a couple weeks.

• User
    6 years ago

The Seedmanity, oh, the seedmanity.....(l o n g sigh)...

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lol

• Joe BigBlue
    6 years ago

I came home from vacation today and promptly dethatched with the Greenworks.

I actually expected more thatch than I got, but maybe I'll do another pass tomorrow.

Next is overseeding. I may order it from the company you guys seem to like (Hogan?) because I'm starting to wonder if my local nursery has crap seed.

I'll use the Scotts fert. w/ weed prevention.....

I hope by 1st week of October I can look out the window and enjoy a nice lawn...

Then there's 4-5 months of nothing. And in April it all begins again.

Damn you lawn, damn you.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Update at 3 weeks

Overall it's looking good, had a a bit of washout after Harvey but I added more seed to the spots.

@mishmosh

There's quite a bit of nutsedge coming in, and also some broadleafs. A couple of random Bermuda plants as well. From your experience with KBG, is Tenacity safe to use for spot spraying at this stage or should I hold off for a while.

• mishmosh
    6 years ago

it is safe. i apply 4oz/A but did you use scotts starter with mesotrione? maybe be more cautious if you did and currently have some weed bleaching. i would definitely be aggressive with all the poa you ve had previously.

your kbg actually looks a little dense to me in some parts. you may want to thin out spots with a hand core aerator if that proves to be true.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No Scotts starter, so I'll hit it hard with Tenacity.

You are right, there's areas of high density. The seed washed out from the heavy rain and kind of clumped together in certain spots. Where's some fungus disease when you need it.

• mishmosh
    6 years ago

blanket spray Tenacity not spot spray.