SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

SHould I add a return in basement...vent?

andrelaplume2
6 years ago

I finished my basement a year or so ago. I now find myself down here a bit more than usual. The tv area tends to get a little stuffy. I know why. While the overall temp of the finished basement is 72 - 73...the area I sit is a bit warmer.

The basement is L shaped. The 23 x 23 section is open. There is ONE 8" vent that dumps in AC from the heat pump....it makes little difference and I usually shut it for the season and open in the winter. To be honest I had the folks who installed our new heat pump drop it in so I'd have a warmer area to work under while I was finishing the space. He said it was not worth putting any returns or vents in otherwise. He was right. Its cool enough for the most part and I installed baseboard for the winter months...but I digress.

Note the picture looking into the tv area. Note that dehumidifier. Its dumping a lot of heat into my well insulated tv area! Its also keeping the basement at 50% humidity and emptying into a floor drain there. I put a little fan by the tv but it makes little difference. Adding a vent to this area seems wrong...why dump icey cold air into a space where warmer air is blowing - I am not trying to make rain! Would a return help? I think I can add one in in the area that is blue along the outer wall?

Is there any downside to this. I suppose I could just suck it up or shut

the dehumidifier while I am down there too...

Comments (4)