SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigbadstang

Need To Add a Return. I Have a Few ??'s

13 years ago

I need to add a return to my parents home. They had a 24' x 32' addition built on a few years ago, and it has never heated or cooled properly in that room. The furnace was replaced after the addition, and central air was added at that time too. The existing return is centrally located (in relation to the original floor plan and home size.) in the ceiling of the very small hallway. The original part of the home stays very comfortable year round but the addition just isn't comfortable on hot or cold days. Everyone I've talked to tells me I need to add a return to the addition. The room is one large, open room with no doors and a vaulted ceiling with 2 large ceiling fans. I have a perfect location for the return, and have found where to place a take off into the existing return. My main question is, what would be the best size insulated flex duct, and what size boot and grille should I use? I want to try to stay at or under a 25' run from the addition back to the main return. I realize after installing it, I may need to tweak the original return opening to create the proper draw from the addition. Any information, tips, and help is greatly appreciated. I 'm by no means an HVAC technician, and only know what I've been told, or what I've been able to read, but I do have the ability to do the install.

Thanks again in advance.

Comments (5)