SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannonbradleydvm

Mudroom Addition to Elevated 1st Floor

Bought our first home in Nov 2016, 10 year old colonial built on a sloped plot so that there is about a 7 ft difference between the sides of the house. We wanted to build a garage addition with a mudroom, but the side of the house that you typically see garages attached (the higher side) is the site of the septic. The driveway goes to the other side of the house (the lower side) where there is an outdoor staircase up to a side entrace on the 1st floor, about 7 ft from the ground. We've since discovered that to build out in that location would require a ton of ground work and fill, so we've decided to build a detached garage elsewhere on the property. I'd still love to build an attached mudroom entrance however, with perhaps a carport off of it. The dilema I'm having is figuring out how to attach a mudroom with an elevated entrance given the elevation in that location. I'm thinking of the space being big enough to allow for some closet storage and cubbies, and of course a staircase, but not much beyond that.

Hopefully the attached pictures will clearly support my descriptions.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Comments (12)