SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
4square_gw

1st Post - Building an addition on an older home

4Square
11 years ago

I'm looking for people to share their experience with building a major addition onto an existing home, especially those of you who have done this with older homes. We're thinking of buying in an older neighborhood (houses build pre-WWII) and would like to get a 3 bd and add a master suite + family room below. We'd be happy with a 4bd, but there seems to be a relatively limited inventory in the neighborhood so we're opening the search up to 3bd with the idea of building on an addition.

I'm wondering how hard it is to get a loan, how difficult it would be to recoup the cost of the construction (like would the FR + Master increase the value of the home in line with the cost of the loan), and just personal experiences with this kind of thing. I am pretty sensitive to the aesthetics of old homes so would want to try to keep an addition as close in line with the "personality" of the house as possible, which I know would increase the cost of the construction.

I guess, this is just a kind of vague request for any and all information. There is basically nothing you could tell me that wouldn't be valuable information.

Thanks.

Comments (5)